Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, $100 off local purchase of the K-30 good through 8/21, D-Ring with Pentax Logo and key attachment, Pentax logo pen, and Pentax logoed SPF15 Pomegranate Lip Balm!
....what? That's an.... interesting idea for a trinket

Hmmm, nice to hear that we can try the lenses and put our SD cards in. Definitely gonna get there early....

08-07-2012, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
....what? That's an.... interesting idea for a trinket

Hmmm, nice to hear that we can try the lenses and put our SD cards in. Definitely gonna get there early....
There were only a few there at the beginning of the talk but it ended up with about 12 Pentaxians, a wife or two, and a couple of children. Lots of time to handle the cameras and lenses. If I didn't have the K-5 I'd upgrade from a K-x in a heartbeat.

Questions about Photokina and new products were deftly deflected with a "I haven't been told yet." by the Pentax USA reps. Further pressing when 1-on-1 revealed that there is a sales meeting in Denver at the end of August........

They also asked who had heard about the Tour via Facebook and PentaxForums. I was told by Amber that they had the highest response rate for Atlanta of all the tour stops with 35+- saying that they were planning on attending. I believe she said that San Francisco had the highest actual attendance so far.

I ended up with 11 different folders from tonights event. Some have weird identifiers like 106_2601. Amber said that its the same set of cameras for all the Tour stops so they've been used by a few people. The Blue K-30 was acting a bit wonky with its AF but the black and white each worked like a charm. There was only one camera that stayed on the table through most of the hour or so that we had to play with the equipment - which model was it? Any guesses?

They had the following cameras:
K-30 (Black, White, Blue)
645D (Black) with FA645 55mm/2.8 lens
K-01 (Black)
Q (Black & white) + all Q lenses
WG-2
Ricoh x2 models GXR and a P&S

In addition to the Q lenses they had the following K Lenses:
50-135
35Ltd
40Ltd
35/2.4
50/1.8
100WR
18-55II & WR
18-135WR

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
08-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Questions about Photokina and new products were deftly deflected with a "I haven't been told yet." by the Pentax USA reps. Further pressing when 1-on-1 revealed that there is a sales meeting in Denver at the end of August........
Thanks Docrwm for the very nice and accurate summary report.

When I asked about the K-5 replacement, Ken reluctantly replied that they have to announce something in September, so I keep my fingers crossed. I definitely want focus peaking for all my manual lenses and better high ISO quality than my K-7.

The 646D feels so natural. It's big but very comfortable and balanced.

Overall a very nice event. I am glad that Pentax stopped in Atlanta and they will be represented again by a local store.
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Thanks Docrwm for the very nice and accurate summary report.

When I asked about the K-5 replacement, Ken reluctantly replied that they have to announce something in September, so I keep my fingers crossed. I definitely want focus peaking for all my manual lenses and better high ISO quality than my K-7.

The 646D feels so natural. It's big but very comfortable and balanced.

Overall a very nice event. I am glad that Pentax stopped in Atlanta and they will be represented again by a local store.
I also recall thy Ken said that they are "very happy with the K-30 unit sales" and I believe said that they see 5x the K-30 sales of the K-5 because of its pricing.

08-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent report guys. I think you got more info from the Pentax guys than we did in SF.
08-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #66
Veteran Member

There was only one camera that stayed on the table through most of the hour or so that we had to play with the equipment - which model was it? Any guesses?

WG-2

Ricoh x2 models GXR and a P&S
I would normally say the WG-2, but your referring to the acclaimed Ricoh GRD IV as "a P&S" makes me go huh? Have you not heard of the Ricoh GR Digital cameras at all? Definitely not a P&S. So assuming the other Pentaxians at the event all live in the same cave, I'll have to guess it was the the GRD IV instead that you all left on the table.
08-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I would normally say the WG-2, but your referring to the acclaimed Ricoh GRD IV as "a P&S" makes me go huh? Have you not heard of the Ricoh GR Digital cameras at all? Definitely not a P&S. So assuming the other Pentaxians at the event all live in the same cave, I'll have to guess it was the the GRD IV instead that you all left on the table.
Nope. Saw the Ricoh cameras up and being used. It was a Pentax model.
08-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Okay then, I see a K-01 hiding behind the 645D there which I didn't notice before... but I think everyone would try it out just for curiosity anyway, so I'll revert to my original guess the WG-2.

08-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Okay then, I see a K-01 hiding behind the 645D there which I didn't notice before... but I think everyone would try it out just for curiosity anyway, so I'll revert to my original guess the WG-2.
Nope. Your instinct was right. The K-01 languished. I picked it up and had to take the body cap off and put a lens on it during the last 10 or so minutes we were there last night. Got it set and the battery was dead. It was in precisely the same location in each of my pictures taken with different cameras throughout the night. I asked about its sales and the topic was changed quickly to how qute the Q is.
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting, in SF I would have to say that everything got a lot of attention. As I may have said, I was particularly impressed with the K-01 (the yellow body!).
08-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Interesting, in SF I would have to say that everything got a lot of attention. As I may have said, I was particularly impressed with the K-01 (the yellow body!).
No yellow body at Atlanta.
08-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Just want to update:

The host (i'msosorryiforgothisname ) said that the k-30 will be shipped with the 18-55WR as a kit in November. Again, 18-55WR.
He also said he has no info on the 560mm. And that there will be some new news in October.

And I accidentally swapped cards with one of the cameras there
08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #73
Site Supporter

I attended the tour stop in New York City this evening... at the Ricoh space on West 44th Street in Manhattan. A shout out and tip of the hat to Bill and Amber who handled the presentation with professionalism, warmth, grace and humor. I got to play with all of the same cameras and lenses, and got the same swag referred to above.

I won't repeat all that we've learned so far in earlier posts. But I'll add that Bill said Ricoh knows lenses are key to Pentax's long-term success and that we can expect all that's on the lens road map and likely more. I'll finish by saying that I feel even better about Pentax's future than ever before - and I felt pretty good after hearing the news that Ricoh was buying the company. And I do feel that Pentax is listening to us. It's just that some things can't happen over night - at least not if they're being done the right way.

Oh, and by the way, I tried out the Ricoh GXR for the very first time. A12 and A16 modules. And you know what? It's a pretty solid piece. Very tempting indeed. And if anyone at Pentax is reading, I really liked the diopter adjustment mechanism on the 645. Could something like that find its way onto a K-series camera?

Last edited by Biro; 08-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
08-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Did anybody brought up SDM failures? Just curious, I forgot to bring this one up at the Minneapolis one, trollol. I really want to know what they have to say about it out of curiousity.
08-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Why does that P&S have the similar size to the Sony RX100?...hmmm