Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #61
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, $100 off local purchase of the K-30 good through 8/21, D-Ring with Pentax Logo and key attachment, Pentax logo pen, and Pentax logoed SPF15 Pomegranate Lip Balm!
....what? That's an.... interesting idea for a trinket

Hmmm, nice to hear that we can try the lenses and put our SD cards in. Definitely gonna get there early....

08-07-2012, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
....what? That's an.... interesting idea for a trinket

Hmmm, nice to hear that we can try the lenses and put our SD cards in. Definitely gonna get there early....
There were only a few there at the beginning of the talk but it ended up with about 12 Pentaxians, a wife or two, and a couple of children. Lots of time to handle the cameras and lenses. If I didn't have the K-5 I'd upgrade from a K-x in a heartbeat.

Questions about Photokina and new products were deftly deflected with a "I haven't been told yet." by the Pentax USA reps. Further pressing when 1-on-1 revealed that there is a sales meeting in Denver at the end of August........

They also asked who had heard about the Tour via Facebook and PentaxForums. I was told by Amber that they had the highest response rate for Atlanta of all the tour stops with 35+- saying that they were planning on attending. I believe she said that San Francisco had the highest actual attendance so far.

I ended up with 11 different folders from tonights event. Some have weird identifiers like 106_2601. Amber said that its the same set of cameras for all the Tour stops so they've been used by a few people. The Blue K-30 was acting a bit wonky with its AF but the black and white each worked like a charm. There was only one camera that stayed on the table through most of the hour or so that we had to play with the equipment - which model was it? Any guesses?

They had the following cameras:
K-30 (Black, White, Blue)
645D (Black) with FA645 55mm/2.8 lens
K-01 (Black)
Q (Black & white) + all Q lenses
WG-2
Ricoh x2 models GXR and a P&S

In addition to the Q lenses they had the following K Lenses:
300
50-135
15
21
35Ltd
40Ltd
35/2.4
50/1.8
100WR
18-55II & WR
18-135WR

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
08-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #63
Veteran Member
demp10's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Questions about Photokina and new products were deftly deflected with a "I haven't been told yet." by the Pentax USA reps. Further pressing when 1-on-1 revealed that there is a sales meeting in Denver at the end of August........
Thanks Docrwm for the very nice and accurate summary report.

When I asked about the K-5 replacement, Ken reluctantly replied that they have to announce something in September, so I keep my fingers crossed. I definitely want focus peaking for all my manual lenses and better high ISO quality than my K-7.

The 646D feels so natural. It's big but very comfortable and balanced.

Overall a very nice event. I am glad that Pentax stopped in Atlanta and they will be represented again by a local store.
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #64
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Thanks Docrwm for the very nice and accurate summary report.

When I asked about the K-5 replacement, Ken reluctantly replied that they have to announce something in September, so I keep my fingers crossed. I definitely want focus peaking for all my manual lenses and better high ISO quality than my K-7.

The 646D feels so natural. It's big but very comfortable and balanced.

Overall a very nice event. I am glad that Pentax stopped in Atlanta and they will be represented again by a local store.
I also recall thy Ken said that they are "very happy with the K-30 unit sales" and I believe said that they see 5x the K-30 sales of the K-5 because of its pricing.

08-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Excellent report guys. I think you got more info from the Pentax guys than we did in SF.
08-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #66
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There was only one camera that stayed on the table through most of the hour or so that we had to play with the equipment - which model was it? Any guesses?

WG-2

Ricoh x2 models GXR and a P&S
I would normally say the WG-2, but your referring to the acclaimed Ricoh GRD IV as "a P&S" makes me go huh? Have you not heard of the Ricoh GR Digital cameras at all? Definitely not a P&S. So assuming the other Pentaxians at the event all live in the same cave, I'll have to guess it was the the GRD IV instead that you all left on the table.
08-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #67
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I would normally say the WG-2, but your referring to the acclaimed Ricoh GRD IV as "a P&S" makes me go huh? Have you not heard of the Ricoh GR Digital cameras at all? Definitely not a P&S. So assuming the other Pentaxians at the event all live in the same cave, I'll have to guess it was the the GRD IV instead that you all left on the table.
Nope. Saw the Ricoh cameras up and being used. It was a Pentax model.
08-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #68
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
Okay then, I see a K-01 hiding behind the 645D there which I didn't notice before... but I think everyone would try it out just for curiosity anyway, so I'll revert to my original guess the WG-2.

08-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Okay then, I see a K-01 hiding behind the 645D there which I didn't notice before... but I think everyone would try it out just for curiosity anyway, so I'll revert to my original guess the WG-2.
Nope. Your instinct was right. The K-01 languished. I picked it up and had to take the body cap off and put a lens on it during the last 10 or so minutes we were there last night. Got it set and the battery was dead. It was in precisely the same location in each of my pictures taken with different cameras throughout the night. I asked about its sales and the topic was changed quickly to how qute the Q is.
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Interesting, in SF I would have to say that everything got a lot of attention. As I may have said, I was particularly impressed with the K-01 (the yellow body!).
08-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Interesting, in SF I would have to say that everything got a lot of attention. As I may have said, I was particularly impressed with the K-01 (the yellow body!).
No yellow body at Atlanta.
08-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #72
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
Just want to update:

The host (i'msosorryiforgothisname ) said that the k-30 will be shipped with the 18-55WR as a kit in November. Again, 18-55WR.
He also said he has no info on the 560mm. And that there will be some new news in October.

And I accidentally swapped cards with one of the cameras there
08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
I attended the tour stop in New York City this evening... at the Ricoh space on West 44th Street in Manhattan. A shout out and tip of the hat to Bill and Amber who handled the presentation with professionalism, warmth, grace and humor. I got to play with all of the same cameras and lenses, and got the same swag referred to above.

I won't repeat all that we've learned so far in earlier posts. But I'll add that Bill said Ricoh knows lenses are key to Pentax's long-term success and that we can expect all that's on the lens road map and likely more. I'll finish by saying that I feel even better about Pentax's future than ever before - and I felt pretty good after hearing the news that Ricoh was buying the company. And I do feel that Pentax is listening to us. It's just that some things can't happen over night - at least not if they're being done the right way.

Oh, and by the way, I tried out the Ricoh GXR for the very first time. A12 and A16 modules. And you know what? It's a pretty solid piece. Very tempting indeed. And if anyone at Pentax is reading, I really liked the diopter adjustment mechanism on the 645. Could something like that find its way onto a K-series camera?

Last edited by Biro; 08-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
08-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #74
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
Did anybody brought up SDM failures? Just curious, I forgot to bring this one up at the Minneapolis one, trollol. I really want to know what they have to say about it out of curiousity.
08-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #75
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
Why does that P&S have the similar size to the Sony RX100?...hmmm
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
chicago, francisco, hyatt, k-30, minneapolis, pentax news, pentax rumors, san, st, tour
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Tour LeDave Travel, Events, and Groups 3 07-02-2012 12:46 PM
Warren Miller Tour w/ hands-on Pentax gear vonBaloney Photographic Industry and Professionals 1 11-03-2011 10:11 AM
2011 Tour de France johnmflores General Talk 14 07-26-2011 01:49 PM
Sports Cycling / Tour de France brink Post Your Photos! 4 06-24-2011 02:05 AM
Landscape Chacun son tour loule Photo Critique 5 10-06-2010 11:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top