Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I guy I work with had a rant and rave yesterday and ordered a d300 after being with pentax for years. But another person I know has been saving to go from d200-> d300 now sits and says I'm waiting a few weeks to check that the image quality as good as they say before buying the k20d.

win some, lose some

01-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool find Herman...Thanks for the link.

Where is ''Rice High'' when you need him? LOL
01-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Cool find Herman...Thanks for the link.

Where is ''Rice High'' when you need him? LOL
You're welcome.
Glad I can share.
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Heh so many thoughts around the Pentax annoucement i totally forgot about Canons jan 24 attempt at stealing the limelight...looks good on paper, doubt the sensor will come close to Pentaxs new weapon but as many have stated before...ask any novice looking to get into dslr's which camera they want and the typical response is "Ohh get that one! Its got more megapixels, i heard the higher the number the better the quality of the image"...in Pentaxs case that may well be true all things considered, but never underestimate the power of brand familiarity as well. I expect those cameras will sell like hotcakes just as its predecessor did, even after all the rants and raves (and so will the gx/k 20d).

01-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I don't need/want more FPS, and if I really did I'd shoot something else.
If they uncripple the k mount even MORE old lenses will be sold. Does Pentax make money off of old lenses being sold? No. They want to sell the DA* and the rest of the current line-up. They won't uncripple it because it wouldn't have good business behind it.
What's crippled about the K mount? I have a manual (no "A" setting) Tokina 135mm f/2.8 that is probably from the late 70's; it works fine on my K10D and is bloody sharp. Seriously, why do you say the K mount is crippled?
01-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
What's crippled about the K mount? I have a manual (no "A" setting) Tokina 135mm f/2.8 that is probably from the late 70's; it works fine on my K10D and is bloody sharp. Seriously, why do you say the K mount is crippled?
Because the camera doesn't know what f-stop you have set it to. You have to use the "Green Button" to meter, and the K10D has a hard time with any non-A lens that are not wide open, due to the bright focusing screen.

Crippled Pentax K mount - Wikipedia
01-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Because the camera doesn't know what f-stop you have set it to. You have to use the "Green Button" to meter, and the K10D has a hard time with any non-A lens that are not wide open, due to the bright focusing screen.

Crippled Pentax K mount - Wikipedia
Hah! OK, thanks for the link. Your post now makes a lot more sense

But now I hate Pentax cos I could be using my old lenses without the annoyance of the green button

01-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
...Pentax knows who they are selling cameras to. They're selling cameras to me and my roommate, who are college students, and my girlfriend as well, who is also a college student.
Well, if Pentax is hoping to survive by selling 3 cameras to you guys, turn out the lights :-)
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, if Pentax is hoping to survive by selling 3 cameras to you guys, turn out the lights :-)
LOL, thanks for the laugh
01-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
It's so funny.
After reading all of the complaints about the weaknesses of K20D (AF speed, FPS...etc), I tried to check what Canon users in the other forum think about their new 450D which is advertised as having faster FPS than the previous model.
Is it just me or does the 450D look really ugly? To fit that 3.0" LCD (albeit with the same resolution as the old 2.5") on there they had to massively rearrange the buttons. Those scattered buttons will take a photographer quite some time to get used to. I think Pentax did the right thing by "only" using a 2.7" LCD. At least that keeps the button layout sane.
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The idea is that if Nintendo made the Wii a $600 console it wouldn't sell because that's not their market.
01-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
Is it just me or does the 450D look really ugly? To fit that 3.0" LCD (albeit with the same resolution as the old 2.5") on there they had to massively rearrange the buttons. Those scattered buttons will take a photographer quite some time to get used to. I think Pentax did the right thing by "only" using a 2.7" LCD. At least that keeps the button layout sane.
On one hand, I like the new body contour of the XSi. It shares some similarities with the upper-end 1D series cameras. Sony also did the same thing with the A200, they gave it a styling that shares some similarities with the A700 (even down to the UI). Pentax also streamlined the K200D to make it look more like the K10D/K20D. Doing so makes users feel more familiar with models above or below the camera they're using, and I see this as a good thing.

The grip on the right of the XSi also seems better than the one they used in the 400D. It now looks less toy-ish than its predecessor.

That said, I also was confounded by the button layout at the back. It doesn't look ergonomic for me, thus far, though I'll reserve judgment until I get a chance to hold one myself.