Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surprise...What Canon users think of K20D!

It's so funny.
After reading all of the complaints about the weaknesses of K20D (AF speed, FPS...etc), I tried to check what Canon users in the other forum think about their new 450D which is advertised as having faster FPS than the previous model.
You might want to see this link:

why 12.4 mpx in 450D???? [Page 1]: Canon EOS 400D/350D/300D Forum: Digital Photography Review

and some other threads on their Canon forum.

Almost all of them are complaining about Canon's mistake in not taking care of the IQ and noise issue (which Pentax & K20D is doing right now). Even some of them are thinking to migrate to Pentax.....
What a surprise!
Imagine if Pentax chose the other route and went with FPS race!

Just a thought!

PS.
I was wondering if this DSLR war will end up like the game console war between Nintendo WII vs Playstation3 /Xbox360.
Where Wii decided to go back to the essence of their console (to have fun with) just as Pentax who decided to go back to the essence of photography which is IQ.
And we all know in the end how finally Wii beat the heck out of PS3/Xbox360.

Last edited by HermanLee; 01-25-2008 at 12:09 AM.
01-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
It's so funny.
After reading all of the complaints about the weaknesses of K20D (AF speed, FPS...etc), I tried to check what Canon users in the other forum think about their new 450D which is advertised as having faster FPS than the previous model.

why 12.4 mpx in 450D???? [Page 1]: Canon EOS 400D/350D/300D Forum: Digital Photography Review

Almost all of them are complaining about Canon's mistake in not taking care of the IQ and noise issue (which Pentax & K20D is doing right now). Even some of them are thinking to migrate to Pentax.....
What a surprise!

Just a thought!

PS.
I was wondering if this DSLR war will end up like the game console war between Nintendo WII vs Playstation3 /Xbox360.
Where Wii decided to go back to the essence of their console (to have fun with) just as Pentax who decided to go back to the essence of photography which is IQ.

Good find, and good analogy with the Wii. Unfortunately, the Wii also had huge marketing behind it, otherwise the analogy's apt.
01-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
TDN
Forum Member

Yeah I think this is a good thing too.

Knocking the big 2 of their pedestal is a very hard thing to do, so if Pentax were to just follow every move they make, that would be a lost battle.

However, Pentax keeps looking for ways to distinguish itself from the competition (much like Olympus), and that's what I like about them

Tom
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's so funny.

What a surprise!

Just a thought!
Well, the biggest difference is that Canonists already had excellent AF system, they didn't realy need improved one.

BTW, they are complaining about 12 megapixels, however want to jump to 14 megapixels? Are they complaining that 12 megapixels are not enough?

01-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...the essence of photography which is IQ.
I disagree, for you it may be that, but not for me. For me it's about capturing what I see, and I watch, and want to capture a lot of sport.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Are they complaining that 12 megapixels are not enough?
I think they're complaining as the 40D is only 10?
01-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It's so funny.

What a surprise!

Just a thought!

PS.
I had exactly the same thought: Good IQ and more MP will make a winner out of the K20D, like it or not.

The K20D is actually pretty well received by photographers actually owning other brands and, at the very least, is making some noise in the DSLR community. The longuest and fastest thread on the K20D reached 150 posts yesterday and was on the ... Sony forum at DPR!
01-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One thing to remember (and I need to remember this myself) is that the beloved Canon 5D only shoots 3 fps...I am not sure about its AF system....so in all actually Pentax isn't really far off the mark....I do still wish those issues had been somewhat improved but await to see what the images really look like. Being able to disengage the double-check focus may be a winner here. So far we've seen many snapshots but I want to see what the images look like when someone is really trying to put for the best...such as in Ben's model shoots or other 'art' motivated shots...

01-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought!

PS.
Great post. And I like the analogy. Having gotten a Wii for my son at Christmas, I finally enjoy these consoles and he wants to sell his Sony and Xbox just to get more Wii games.

It is after all about the IQ and photo after all. High frame rates will come in a body down the road. But this camera will be a winner.
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I just had a look at that Sony thread from yesterday. One Sony user wrote:

yeah I think I am gone, I have been waiting news on this camera to decide my upgrade path, between the a700 and staying with Minolta/Sony or going to Pentax....I think I will be going with Pentax. This cam will be coming in $200-$300 cheaper than a a700 BODY and it includes a kit lens. With the extra cash saved from that alone, say hi to going for a 300mm 2.8....well if I am not happy with Pentax, at least their US HQ's are up the street lol
--
John De Bord Photography
Showcasing the Images of Colorado using the Mind of Minolta

I understand the FPS and other concerns that so many posts lately have discussed but in the long run this body will bring more money to Pentax in both body sales and lenses. With that, R&D budgets increase and the goal of a 3 level platform will develop (hobby shooter, Semi pro and pro users).

Thread is here:
2 new Pentax DSLR's & 5 new lenses [Page 1]: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #10

Wow, a group of reasonable people talking about the K20D!!!

I think what people are forgetting is that you have to evaluate a camera as a tool, not an emotional item. As a tool, it will do some things really well and others not as well. As a photographer, you have to use your camera (i.e. tool) to it's best and live with it's strengths and weaknesses. This is no different than anything else where you use tools.

For me, the improved image quality and iso made me preorder it.
01-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great post. And I like the analogy. Having gotten a Wii for my son at Christmas, I finally enjoy these consoles and he wants to sell his Sony and Xbox just to get more Wii games.

It is after all about the IQ and photo after all. High frame rates will come in a body down the road. But this camera will be a winner.
Has it ever occurred to anyone that the buzz about what is not in the K20 is illogical and inconsistent. A couple of the loudest noises include revamping the AF for faster, and fixing the lens mount so pre 1980 lenses will work better. Well my friends, those 30 year old lenses don't need a better AF system. If your left hand has both a finger and a thumb there is no limit on the ability to take great photos due to lilmitations of the AF system.

Pentax got it right by giving their attention to installing a sensor that has an extra F stop of latitude in it, and beefing up the SR. Those WILL provide better photos for everyone every time they push the button
01-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't need/want more FPS, and if I really did I'd shoot something else.

Without shutter lag, I feel like I can capture the moment with one click of the shutter. I was at a volleyball shooting one time and I was in continuous shooting mode but didn't take more than one shutter probably more than once or twice. Maybe a professional who shoots sports will want something faster than 3fps and that's fine, but Pentax knows who they are selling cameras to. They're selling cameras to me and my roommate, who are college students, and my girlfriend as well, who is also a college student.

If they spent all that money and developed a camera like you guys want you understand that it would be much more expensive, right? Would you still buy it at that price tag or would you complain about the price?

If they uncripple the k mount even MORE old lenses will be sold. Does Pentax make money off of old lenses being sold? No. They want to sell the DA* and the rest of the current line-up. They won't uncripple it because it wouldn't have good business behind it.

These are some things we all need to think about.
01-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

"Will Sony Kill Pentax?" :^)

----> Who does Sony Kill First?: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
That's a great thread! So much hilarious stuff in there!
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #15

The hilarity! The thread was from almost 2 years ago around May 2006.

"I think Sony will take Nikon's consumer-grade business."

"Pentax is already pretty much dead, but this should put Pentax/Samsung alliance out of their misery... "

"Canon and Nikon are to well entrenched to be knocked off anytime soon."

"Nikon is going to have a very rough time"

"I doubt any dslr other than Sony, Canon, and Nikon will exist in 3 years."

"Many more Canon cameras are sold without any regard for the quality of the glass, which is where this Sony camera will feast."