Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think that Pentax compacts will cease to exist- they've invested too heavily in their outdoor marketing for that to make sense. I can see how Ricoh would want to only make compacts, though, and brand future high-end products as Pentaxes.
Aside from the waterproof line i can see them getting out of the compacts, Ricoh actually makes some pretty fantastic compacts like the GR, that target a niche and do pretty well (they are due for an upgraded sensor though) .

07-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Here is the original text from Asahi Shimbun:

ペンタックスは一眼、リコーはコンパクト PRI方針

リコーが老舗カメラブランド「ペンタックス」を買収して設立した「ペンタックスリコーイメージング(PRI)」の赤羽昇社長は、ペンタックスのコンパクトデジカメを将来廃止し、一眼デジカメに特化する方針を明らかにした。高機能路線でファンを呼び戻したい考えだ。

PRIはリコーのデジカメ部門とHOYAから買い取ったペンタックス事業を統合して昨年10月に設立された。現在は2ブランドの製品が混在しているが、一眼はペンタックス、コンパクトはリコーのブランドに統一する方向で検討中だ。

ペンタックスは、一般的なカメラの4倍の大きさのイメージセンサーを使う「中判カメラ」で世界トップシェア。画質のよさから中高年の男性を中心に根強いファンが多い。ただ、近年は事業再編や合併に翻弄(ほんろう)され、販売が低迷。昨年の国内販売台数シェアはリコーを足しても6.5%の8位にとどまる。

赤羽社長は「成長が見込めるアジア市場にも進出する」とペンタックス事業を国内外で拡大する方針。今年度中にも中国やインド、ロシアに販売拠点を設け、2ブランドの2013年度の売上高は、11年度の約2倍の計700億円を目指す。

赤羽社長は旧日本長期信用銀行や新生銀行などで多くの企業再生を手がけ、昨年12月にリコーに入った。

A quick summary of the above text from Asahi Shimbun (native Japanese-speakers, please do not hesitate to correct this or add to it):

- no more compact cameras by Pentax; in the future, all compact cameras will be sold under the Ricoh brand name

- Pentax will specialize in interchangeable lens cameras

- they hope to bring Pentax fans back with high-performance cameras

- current typical clients are middle-aged men having chosen Pentax for image quality (he speaks about the 645D sensor, 4 times bigger than a common APS-C sensor, without explicitly quoting either but the article is illustrated with a 645D picture including a comment on its use by professional photographers)

- however, because of mergers and restructuring, sales have been sluggish

- Pentax + Ricoh hold a 6.5 per cent share of the digital cameras market in Japan and rank number 8 on this market

- they want to expand in Japan and abroad, in particular in the fast-growing Asian countries, with recently opened sales offices in China, India and also Russia

- sales of the two brands amounted to around JPY 700bn in FY2011 and they plan to double them by 2013.

Last edited by Mistral75; 07-11-2012 at 07:33 AM.
07-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think that Pentax compacts will cease to exist- they've invested too heavily in their outdoor marketing for that to make sense. I can see how Ricoh would want to only make compacts, though, and brand future high-end products as Pentaxes.
But where does that leave the Ricoh interchangeable oddball system? I think its a good idea for Pentax to only be associated with dSLRs and such but the Optio WG-2 is a very nice camera - will they just put the Ricoh label on it instead of Pentax?

Sales have been sluggish because of a wrong-headed attempt to control the free market economy with Maximum Assured Pricing, among other reasons.
07-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ricoh has zero "rugged" history in cameras.
Can't agree, sorry.

G700
G700SE
G600
Caplio 500G wide
Caplio 500SE
Caplio 300G

Admittedly, Ricoh appears to have focused more on construction site usage than on marketing to would-be adventurers.

Last edited by Adam G; 07-11-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: I just keep finding more and more...
07-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Neither can I they make a number that specifically have target rugged markets
like the 700se which was chemical resistant, dust resistant waterproof and shock resistant and built like a tank.

Dust resistance, at JIS/IEC dustproof protection grade 6, guards against infiltration by dust and sand. The G700SE can also shoot in cold environments, with cold resistance able to handle temperatures down to -10°C.

Water resistance is rated at JIS/IEC waterproof protection grade 8 so the G700SE can handle two hours of underwater photography at a depth of 5 m. In addition to use at wet sites, the G700SE can also be used for shooting in the rain, and it can be washed in water if it gets dirty.

Despite its small size and light weight, the G700SE has strengthened glass at the lens front surface and body protectors added at strategic points. This toughness enabled it to withstand 2.0 m drops in 26 positions (6 surfaces, 8 corners, and 12 edges) in testing conforming to US Department of Defense “MIL Standard 810F.” Furthermore, it also passes this test with the power on.

The G700SE can be disinfected with ethanol or sodium hypochlorite, which has been approved as a food additive disinfectant. So it can be safely used in medical facilities and production facilities.

G700SE / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global

Unfortunately Military grade build comes at a price of $899
07-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Ricoh finally realized the writing on the wall.

Take Facebook...

Likes - as in a measure of social media presence.

Pentax..............................Ricoh USA
Pentax..............................UK Ricoh Europe
Pentax FF..........................Ricoh DSC Taiwan
Pentax Malaysia.................Ricoh GXR
Pentax Snaps Aus
Pentax Singapore
Pentax K-x
Pentax France
Pentax K1000
Pentax Turkey
Pentax Philippines
Pentax K7
Pentax Indonesia
Pentax Photo
Pentax ME-Super

And it goes ON and ON.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 07-11-2012 at 07:55 AM.
07-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
one sec...
maybe but it's more likely a function of all ricoh made was compacts and the GXR. top that off with really poor camera distribution outside of asia (look at the ricoh asia numbers)

Don't know about their cheaper P/S cameras but at the more niche higher end they have always built really nice P/S.

The whole point of the Pentax purchase was the DSLR market so this makes sens. Pentax P/S share has always been horrible so it's no loss

07-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think Ricoh's camera division need to save face. After all, they took over Pentax, not the other way round. They'll use the Pentax name where it makes commercial sense, for ILCs. I know that Ricoh is not very well known in a lot of countries, but they have a good brand image in Japan, especially amongst photography enthusiasts.

These links are to Kakaku.com - the leading Japanese price comparison site. I can't be bothered to calculate the average selling price, but you can see which brand retains its value better. The CX series is one of the best-selling models in its category. The GR Digital does well too and they sell some really pricy accessories for it, like viewfinders and conversion lenses.

Ricoh (5 current models and discontinues cameras are mostly sold out)
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-camera/ma_70/

Pentax (4 current models and the rest are languishing in bargain bins)
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-camera/ma_251/

Looking at these prices, which brand would you retain? Of course, Pentax has huge value for them, but it's in the world of DSLRs.
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So who's going to do the ILC's? Is the K-01 going to Ricoh? Or is the GXR going to Pentax?
07-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The K-01 can't go to Ricoh, being a K-mount camera.
07-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

ILC's look to be Pentax but I imagine the GXR will stay with Ricoh since it is an extension f the GR and has done well. I was pleased to see the GXR is finally available in canada, I'm going to drop into Henrys to have a look at it.
07-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can appreciate having a soft spot for Ricoh cameras, but world wide?
Just based on the social media presence, Ricoh cameras are tiny compared with all the folks who like Pentax.

It's something that I would notice - especially in 2012.

I would honor my Ricoh developers, throw them a bone, then promptly fold that division A.S.A.P.
07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well since the P&S market is already dying off pretty rapidly essentially that is what has happened Lauren
07-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Well since the P&S market is already dying off pretty rapidly essentially that is what has happened Lauren
True.
07-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Can't agree, sorry.

G700
G700SE
G600
Caplio 500G wide
Caplio 500SE
Caplio 300G

Admittedly, Ricoh appears to have focused more on construction site usage than on marketing to would-be adventurers.
Wow, I got THAT one wrong.
Although those cameras - like you said - are not really "consumer" cameras.