Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
Yes, problem is the competition and costumers don't care about Pentax resources, they want a competitive product for the price.
I'd have to agree with this. Maybe it might do wonders for both Pentax and Samsung to let Samsung service the entry-level market. Samsung doesn't seem to be as wary as Hoya to pour in R&D money, and that would also strengthen the whole Samsung digital camera line-up as a whole, with an upgrade path to consider.

On Pentax's part, they still get to sell lenses to those people buying Samsung, without feeling the pressure to also cater the ever-important entry-level segment.

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
About what I'd expect, although Nikon can always differentiate on AF, if they stick the D300's AF unit in the D90, just with less configurability (As the D80 had the D200's AF unit) then they'll have far and away the best AF in class. And note that the D300's IQ is similar to the K20D's, so the K20D won't have a huge advantage there. Of course the D90 will also have i-TTL/CLS. So I don't think the K20D will blow the D90 out of the water. The two bodies will be competitive, with the K20D offering sealing, SR and higher resolution and the D90 offering better AF, metering and flash capabilities.

*snip*

Shouldn't have too many issues there. It simply stomps the 40D and E3, particularly the latter. The A700 and D300 will only give up a bit of resolution at low ISO, while the D300 can mostly keep up at high ISO's as well. ~2MP is not a huge resolution difference.
We'll have to wait and see when Nikon releases the D90, but I suspect it would be spec'ed pretty much the way you think it will be. If Nikon delays the announcement until after the K20D ships, then Pentax can probably maintain the price tag or only lower it some so it could eat some 40D and A700 sales. If PMA brings out the D90, Pentax will have another headache on their hands, as the D90 would also probably have 4 FPS or more (just another box to tick in the specs sheet).

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Sure?

I think now's the perfect time for a Sigma DP14 competitor. A small camera with a 6-8mp CMOS sensor with LiveView. Put a Ltd on it and stuff it in your pocket. No need for new AF system or high burst-speeds. Maybe it could even go as high as ISO 12800, considering the new sensor. Street photography king. Sell it for $300 and you're done!
I like the idea, but to be realistic about it, R&D for a new sensor costs money again.

01-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Canon's cheapest body is the same body that's been their cheapest since the original Digital Rebel/300D was discontinued, ie the XT/350D. And the K200D can quite successfully compete with that in everything except buffer. The new XSi/450D is Canon's high-end consumer body. Also other than the buffer and top ISO selection the K200D matches or beats Sony's brand new A200, which is NOT an entry-level body. The entry level will continue to be the D40 and E-410 for the forseeable future.
QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
Pro 450D
-Live view with contrast-detect AF
-Much larger buffer (53 JPG vs. 4 JPG!!!)
-Faster fps
-Larger LCD
-More resolution
-Probably better AF

Pro K200D
-Weather sealing
-In body IS
-Better ergonomics
-100,- cheaper

The K200D will struggle especially with Canon's brand name.
Yup, the K200D will find itself in a bit of a pinch, especially at the RRP being floated. They'd have to drop in price. The A200 will eventually join the E-410's and D40's ranks at the entry-level soon enough, as soon as shipments start to arrive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
Take away the hot shoe as well. Pop up flash is as entry level as you can get.

Who really would buy this KxxxxD if it would be competiting (at least in the consumer's eye) with the new Rebels and D40s? It would be EASY to upsell first time buyers on saucier features from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Sony's competiting cameras. If you take the sauce out of the K200D, and water it down, you have nothing to sell with interchangable lenses. Rebels and D40s will ALWAYS rule at the entry level. To most people, Pentax is just as good as a Bosley DSLR.

Seriously, Pentax needs some television campaigning. Team up with HSN or QVC maybe to sell entry levels. I know the Samsung name would move some units on HSN.
That's a plan.
01-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #63

^ Yeah, it kinda seems like it when I think about it.

Home Shopping Network and QVC can sell anything from any brand maker. There is no reason they can't sell Pentax. And they could upsell on every accesory. These would be EXACTLY the type of people that would buy this camera. Unsophisticated users who won't use the camera much and need to have everything explained to them with enthusiasm. People buy things on Home Shopping Network and QVC and pay a ton for their stuff and it's mostly NOT big brand names. And they get upsold on every accessory with it as well. I know because my mother has HSN addiction. It's not as bad as LBA but it's there.

One thougt though: HSN and QVC could lead to LBA overdose.