Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #16

Well if there is really a more high-end model in the pipeline like a Nikon D2/D3-series and Canon 1-series it is just now the time to start saving money

Or will it be a model in between the K20 and a 'top-model' ? Such as a D300 ?

If it will a camera with a built-in grip and all the other neat features it should have(mount,af,fps etc, see the other threads ) than it would be very very interesting to see.

01-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I agree....

Ben
Ok, that's what i wanted to hear, thanks

K20D will be mine then
01-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #18

I agree....

Ben
So that means that there will be a consumer oriented entry-level camera ?
Mmm why not just produce the K100D further ? It is a nice little camera with a nice sensor and it sells good and is cheap.

I can't understand the Pentax marketing strategy in here I think...isn't prestige everything in marketing ?
I am working at a IT company here, and there is prestige just as important as the delivered service we give to our customers.

It is the same as Sony doing, they are also planning a higher-end body, just to impress the world with 'Look we can do the same as the others, and even better maybe'.
01-25-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
So that means that there will be a consumer oriented entry-level camera ?
Mmm why not just produce the K100D further ? It is a nice little camera with a nice sensor and it sells good and is cheap.

I can't understand the Pentax marketing strategy in here I think...isn't prestige everything in marketing ?
I am working at a IT company here, and there is prestige just as important as the delivered service we give to our customers.

It is the same as Sony doing, they are also planning a higher-end body, just to impress the world with 'Look we can do the same as the others, and even better maybe'.
The problem is that nobody wants to buy a 6MP camera today. A cheap 10MP camera is needed.

01-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #20

We probably will see both, a high-end and an entry-level camera by Pentax in the future. I would like to quote from a German interview given by Wolfgang Baus two days ago, he is product manager at Pentax Europe (please excuse my poor translation):

"We will concentrate on offering more SLR-cameras for the mass market in the future. ... This might bring up enough money in order to enable developments, which did not seem realistic at all just a while ago. With this may be a lot of Pentax enthusiasts might get their hand on a one-digit K model.

I would like to take the opportunity to explain our product terms:
Kx = professionel segment (“Top of the Range Product”)
Kxx = semi-professionel
Kxxx = amateur
Kxxxx = entry-level"

QuoteOriginally posted by W. Baus, PM at Pentax Europe:
... Wir werden künftig verstärkt SLR-Kameras für den Massenmarkt anbieten. ... Allerdings wird dies auch Geld in die Kasse bringen, und so Entwicklungen möglich machen, die noch vor kurzer Zeit als utopisch galten. Vielleicht kommen so doch viele PENTAX Freunde auf ein einstelliges K-Modell.

Ich möchte einmal die Gelegenheit nutzen, die Produktbezeichnungen zu erklären ... :
Kx = Spitzenklasse (Profisegment – “Top of the Range Product”)
Kxx = gehobene Amateurklasse (semi-professionell)
Kxxx = Amateurklasse
Kxxxx = Einsteigerklasse
The whole interview in German:
Original interview in German

Birdman

Last edited by Birdman; 01-25-2008 at 03:27 AM.
01-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
can you just tell us if it's a "pro" (K1D?) or an entry-level (cheaper than K200D) camera that's coming around mid-2008?

It will be a killer, it will be a "BOMB", something that will blow Canon and Nikon away, just like the "rumoured" K20D did.
01-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax DSLR will consist of four lines in the future:

KxD
KxxD
KxxxD
KxxxxD

This we where told in a German interview with Pentax.
Since a KxD is still very far away at the horizon, and talk about an entry-level camera is around for some months now, I am pretty sure that we will see a K2000D soon.

01-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link to the interview.

By reading the interview, the answer to your question Lazar is quite clear. A KxD is unlikely in the near future, but a KxxxxD seems possible.
01-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Were you there? Why didn't you come to see me and at least say hello....Yes that is what Philippe intimated...Sort of..

Ben

hi ben

i shoot mostly travel and static situTION, i'd like o begi doing glamou and fashion like you aso if i know it's very difficult and so i'll fly to new york in april. right now i have begun to work here in Italy and i have decided touse the pentax k10d and i'm very happy with it. k20 in your opinion how is?
I waited sme spec were better, do u think we'll se a camera in the future tha t has them?

ithanks
01-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Birdman Quote
We probably will see both, a high-end and an entry-level camera by Pentax in the future. I would like to quote from a German interview given by Wolfgang Baus two days ago, he is product manager at Pentax Europe (please excuse my poor translation):

"We will concentrate on offering more SLR-cameras for the mass market in the future. ... This might bring up enough money in order to enable developments, which did not seem realistic at all just a while ago. With this may be a lot of Pentax enthusiasts might get their hand on a one-digit K model.

I would like to take the opportunity to explain our product terms:
Kx = professionel segment (“Top of the Range Product”)
Kxx = semi-professionel
Kxxx = amateur
Kxxxx = entry-level"

The whole interview in German:
Original interview in German

Birdman
Thanks for the link to the interview... very interesting!
01-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well if there is really a more high-end model in the pipeline like a Nikon D2/D3-series and Canon 1-series it is just now the time to start saving money

Or will it be a model in between the K20 and a 'top-model' ? Such as a D300 ?

If it will a camera with a built-in grip and all the other neat features it should have(mount,af,fps etc, see the other threads ) than it would be very very interesting to see.
The way I see it, the Pentax lineup is quite similar to the Nikon lineup... only they miss the >$1500 part.

The only camera that was in the same class as the K10 was the D80.

The only camera that will be in the same class as the K20 will be the D90. Only for once, K20D precedes D90 (possibly for more than 6 months) instead of coming after AND it will have a different imaging system to set it appart.

Now think about the D90... what will it be like?

Guess: around $1000 body only, 12MP CMOS Sony (same as D300) no surprise here. 1/4000s shutter. LV. ... nothing on the K20 so far.

Comes to fps. D80 has 3fps, do you think D90 will have 5-6? But then why would you buy a D300 for? I vote for 4fps just to say they improved things.

So in all probabilities, Nikon is going to have REALLY hard time producing a D90 that has anything on the K20: Pentax has basically killed the D90 already!

Of course, K20 will be compared to 40D/D300/A700/E3 on IQ and my guess is that it will stand its ground, maybe even better. It will come a bit short in the action photo dept., like K10 did compared to 30D/D200: no real news, it's a K20, not a K2.

So what will 2008-2009 offer us?

Well can anyone think that Pentax/Samsung are not going to capitalize on the sensor they have used more than 2 years of good R&D money to conceive and take to the market?

I see a K2000D with a 6-10MP around $500.

But I also see Pentax/Hoya/Samsung now able to direct R&D towards AF and fps and doing the same step in that category that they did with the imaging system on the K20 because now the sensor part is pretty much secured for the next 2 years.

Bingo! You got your D300 (and even D400 I think) concurent!

With that, Pentax will have a coherent lineup of 4 APS-C cameras with an equally excellent APS-C lens lineup and these will sell and earn money.

What will they do with their money then you ask?

Well, you're in luck, my crystal ball is on fire this morning!!!

Well they will release the 645D with a super duper ubber Samsung MF sensor of course . (OK it migh be a FF but it would make more sense to go B.I.G.)

How's that for seing the sunny side of things?

Last edited by lol101; 01-25-2008 at 03:46 AM.
01-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Thanks for the link to the interview.

By reading the interview, the answer to your question Lazar is quite clear. A KxD is unlikely in the near future, but a KxxxxD seems possible.
Yes, it's exactly what I thought after reading the interview... and Ben also "confirmed it" earlier, so the K20D will definitely be mine

Last edited by Lazar; 01-25-2008 at 06:14 AM.
01-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Well Ben I know we talked about this but not at length. I don't think there were any specs on it yet but I know you did tell me around October last year I might want to wait for the second release, and I would be greatly pleased for the wait. I did buy the K100D until this happens and like I told you then I didn't need 14mp but it sure would be nice. Now I find I want the 14mp and with talk about the revision of the 645D (I really hope this happens before a K1 release) Wouldn't it be nice to raise to medium format (with out giving your first and second born, and life's savings away. )

Now the real question to answer. WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO THE STATES. We need to get together. Although I might be able to arrange a stopover in Paris on my way to Romania late in the fall.
01-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #29

I think Pentax should add a second shutter realease in front one inch below the IR sensor on the K1D. (do you think it will be nick-named "the kid"?)Would be perfect for vertical pictures. Batterylife dos not seem to be a problem anymore. Why lug a round with a huge canikon like camera. A small pro-specced camera will set Pentax appart from all other highend cameras.
01-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Looking forward to either k1d (really anticipating for this one) or .... 645D (this model seems to ring a bell a bit)