Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 02:04 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K20D - Evolution or Revolution

Amist all the dust and shounts of 'bomb' (), I'd like to voice my little observation

Is K20D an Evolution or a Revolution?

In terms of pure technical and performance data, the K20D seem to be an evolution of the K10D, more Mpixel, a couple user oriented features, no changes on AF and FPS.

But, if you look beyong the technical data, the K20D is a total revolution for Pentax...

The reason? The sensor.

No, not because of it's new manufacturing technique and patented larger photosites (no doubt they can keep improving this with newer generations to make the photosites even larger).

It's because it's the first non-Sony sensor in a Pentax DSLR.

That is significant enough to be touted about.

No longer does Pentax needs to rely on an external source (okay, Samsung is still a separate entity, but for now, they are in a close alliance, and the sensor patent is partly owned by Pentax) for the heart of it's DSLRs.

No need to wait for Sony to come up with newer sensors, no need to play second fiddle to Sony and Nikon in getting the latest sensor technology.

Pentax is now a sensor designer, Nikon wasn't able to do that for the longest time, Pentax did it with help from it's partner, that's a great achivement.

Think about it, it makes the future look great.

01-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Another thing to consider, remember the reaction when Samsung was mentioned as the potential manufacturer of the sensor? Many people expressed skepticism; claiming that they may take a few generations to "get it right".

So if you think about the achievement made here, it is quite remarkable. It is Pentax first ever sensor design effort, and Samsung first ever attempt at such a large sensor.

And early indication is that not only it matches other sensors made by companies with years of experience, it can potentially surpass them!

Who would have thought this would be possible just half a year ago!
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for "evolution"

Where's the accompanying poll?

The sensor change doesn't cut it as 'revolution' to me. Revolution would have been if we would have gotten that much speculated (and baseless) 'histogram' or 'shot review' within the viewfinder.
01-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

what bothers me is if Pentax is going to take a stance in sensor development, we can expect a full frame pentax within the next couple of years

but all of the new pentax lenses come pre-cropped to work with the current sensors

that would lead to the assumption that either pentax will never bother releasing a FF camera, or stick it to us and force non M/A/FA people to buy new lenses....

01-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it can be looked at as either. The new sensor is not a new type, like Foveon, but it is unique in more ways than just megapixels. The LCD is not the largest, but is unique. While most of the features are not totally unique, they are implemented in new ways. It is definitely a huge evolution for Pentax and could be considered a mild revolution.

There are some things that I am particularly looking forward to. Obviously the ability to shoot at almost any ISO and get great results will be cool. The ability to choose your own level of noise reduction is amazing. Changing the color temp of the LCD is cool.

No matter what features any camera offers, the output is the most important thing. If the K20 really does put out images as good as the big boys' pro cameras, that will be the best feature of all.
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what bothers me is if Pentax is going to take a stance in sensor development, we can expect a full frame pentax within the next couple of years

but all of the new pentax lenses come pre-cropped to work with the current sensors

that would lead to the assumption that either pentax will never bother releasing a FF camera, or stick it to us and force non M/A/FA people to buy new lenses....
Well canon have also decided to loose the full frame sensors with their latest pro cameras so why bother, its just makes it more expensive
01-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Well canon have also decided to loose the full frame sensors with their latest pro cameras so why bother, its just makes it more expensive
cuz they tried to appeal to the landscape and wide angle guys but failed cuz the dynamic range was still sucky compared to FILM.

once they fix the dynamic range problem, i see no reason why NOT to go FF (or larger)

01-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Amist all the dust and shounts of 'bomb' (), I'd like to voice my little observation

Is K20D an Evolution or a Revolution?

In terms of pure technical and performance data, the K20D seem to be an evolution of the K10D, more Mpixel, a couple user oriented features, no changes on AF and FPS.

But, if you look beyong the technical data, the K20D is a total revolution for Pentax...

The reason? The sensor.

No, not because of it's new manufacturing technique and patented larger photosites (no doubt they can keep improving this with newer generations to make the photosites even larger).

It's because it's the first non-Sony sensor in a Pentax DSLR.

That is significant enough to be touted about.

No longer does Pentax needs to rely on an external source (okay, Samsung is still a separate entity, but for now, they are in a close alliance, and the sensor patent is partly owned by Pentax) for the heart of it's DSLRs.

No need to wait for Sony to come up with newer sensors, no need to play second fiddle to Sony and Nikon in getting the latest sensor technology.

Pentax is now a sensor designer, Nikon wasn't able to do that for the longest time, Pentax did it with help from it's partner, that's a great achivement.

Think about it, it makes the future look great.

I agree, this was a very important first move; getting control of sensor.
Getting the sensor, is way bigger, than 'shot review' within the viewfinder would be.

Pentax is now independent of a major competitor in the market, Sony. The hand of Sony, suddenly turned out to be called, and no longer be as impressive. (The extra income that it generated Sony, will also come in the pocket of Pentax and Samsung now, though investment in R&D has to require tribute).

Should Pentax down the line, come out with FF; a feature in the camera would be easy to use it in crop mode. But it will be a long time, not within the next 5 years.