Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #1

K20D and the big picture

The K20d in my mind is not about selling more cameras than its competitiors, its about laying the foundations for Penatax digital Imagining as a whole. The new sensor is a Pentax design and represents the begining of a new era for Pentax. They have designed their own sensor and unlike other major camera companies they now do not have to rely on a second party for their sensors. This sensor will lay the foundation for future cameras. Its a vision. And I have alway seen Pentax as both an innovative and visionary company. Ok they could have put all their resources into 5ps and improving the Savox 8 . These areas can be judged or measured objectively and are more attractive to the intending buyer. More cameras would have been sold. However picture quality is purely subjective. How much better will the picture quality from this new sensor actually be vompared to the D40, A700,E3 and D90.....not noticeably at first but eventually the light will dawn.But unfortunately its totally subjective and really not a strong selling point. So we all have to see the big picture. This is the begining of somethng special. We now have the best sensor in the world. I n future Pentax can put other resources into FPS and Auto focus speed and accuracy to produce a camera without equal .....with the best sensor in the world.

01-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe one of the only post to make REAL sense (at the exclusion of my ramblings of course ) in the last 24 hours...

Now Pentax have a quality APS-C sensor on which they can base a whole lineup of DSLR.

K20D is only the first.
01-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #3

Essential, the quality of a digital photography depends on the lens and the sensor.

Pentax has some of the very best of all excellent lenses.

Now, Pentax also possesses the supreme sensor in it's class.
01-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
The K20d in my mind is not about selling more cameras than its competitiors, its about laying the foundations for Penatax digital Imagining as a whole. The new sensor is a Pentax design and represents the begining of a new era for Pentax. They have designed their own sensor and unlike other major camera companies they now do not have to rely on a second party for their sensors. This sensor will lay the foundation for future cameras. Its a vision. And I have alway seen Pentax as both an innovative and visionary company. Ok they could have put all their resources into 5ps and improving the Savox 8 . These areas can be judged or measured objectively and are more attractive to the intending buyer. More cameras would have been sold. However picture quality is purely subjective. How much better will the picture quality from this new sensor actually be vompared to the D40, A700,E3 and D90.....not noticeably at first but eventually the light will dawn.But unfortunately its totally subjective and really not a strong selling point. So we all have to see the big picture. This is the begining of somethng special. We now have the best sensor in the world. I n future Pentax can put other resources into FPS and Auto focus speed and accuracy to produce a camera without equal .....with the best sensor in the world.
I agree with you. Entirely. From the first images we've seen, it looks pretty good. However I would like to see images taken at noon with clear blue sky and check the dynamic range, especially from red flowers.
One thing I don't understand yet is why such a Buzz and mystery around this announcement. Could we think that after all the mountain gave birth a rat?? I hope not.
Rui

01-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Love it!

"Could we think that after all the mountain gave birth a rat??"

Definitely the greatest new (to me) expression I've heard in a long time.

Thanks!
01-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I replied to the same post by you over at the other forum. But anyway, you have an interesting and valid take on all of this brouhaha.
01-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just spent the day with an award-winning photojournalist and portrait photographer, we talked about the K20D, and though he uses a Nikon D200, he couldn't care less about the slow AF and 3fps, he was simply blown away with the superb IQ! He was all praises with the K20D, more so than what the others announced. With all the negativity about the K20D I read by Pentaxians, I guess it's true that "we are our own worst critic."

01-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
kay

Agree with the OP fully!

One thing about the new sensor that everyone appears to be overlooking is the more direct light path in the new sensor - in several places, they claim "improved image quality from older lenses". Could this mean the end of CA? Nikon D300 users have been reporting vastly reduced CA from the same lenses that used to exhibit such problems in the D200. Perhaps Pentax knew of this upcoming sensor and that's why the focused on resolution at the expense of CA in designing the DA* zooms? If so, that would shut up quite a few critics of the DA* lenses, especially in the case of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8.
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
kay

QuoteOriginally posted by Frakkas Quote
Essential, the quality of a digital photography depends on the lens and the sensor.

Pentax has some of the very best of all excellent lenses.

Now, Pentax also possesses the supreme sensor in it's class.
Yup! And I suspect those same lenses might perform even better on the new sensor as per my post above.
01-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
I just spent the day with an award-winning photojournalist and portrait photographer, we talked about the K20D, and though he uses a Nikon D200, he couldn't care less about the slow AF and 3fps, he was simply blown away with the superb IQ! He was all praises with the K20D, more so than what the others announced. With all the negativity about the K20D I read by Pentaxians, I guess it's true that "we are our own worst critic."
I think that your friend winning photojournalist has been sleeping on this. I understand that journalism needs quick AF, etc, but about IQ I think the K10D has a place, if not next, ahead of the D200. Now with the K20D it's another story.
Being our own critic only brings enlightenment to our souls to the contrary looking down to your belly brings nothing other than neck ache and ignorance. I think Pentaxians don't belong to the latter.
Rui
01-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
although i am personally very2 upset that pentax did not improve the AF speed of the k20d, i believe what you haves said is very true... i wish that this new sensor will mark a new successful beginning for pentax so they may introduce faster camera in the future which will be unequal...
01-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Image quality, for me, is the where it counts most. I, for one, am very happy that Pentax chose to improve in this area, rather than spending the R&D funds on AF speed and FPS. Kudos to Pentax with their K20D!
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by darthkir Quote
although i am personally very2 upset that pentax did not improve the AF speed of the k20d, i believe what you haves said is very true... i wish that this new sensor will mark a new successful beginning for pentax so they may introduce faster camera in the future which will be unequal...
The truly nice thing about the new sensor is that it's obviously quite capable of being used in a 'Pro' body, so all Pentax needs to do is work on the camera side of things, not the sensor/processing (apart from deeper buffers, dual card slots, and other minor engineering tweaks).
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The big question is why do people take photo's?
It's to remember an occasion, so the better the picture the better the memory. only one percent of us do it for money and if you look at most of those shots they stink. So the new sensor may get rid of alot of the odor.
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kay Quote
One thing about the new sensor that everyone appears to be overlooking is the more direct light path in the new sensor - in several places, they claim "improved image quality from older lenses".
This is what they are talking about:

with smaller and lower profile circuitry allowing reception of incident light at a larger angle.
Also resulting in bigger photosites and fill factor: