Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Nobody has answered my earlier question as to what exactly is wrong with plastic mounts. I really don't get it, and somebody needs to explain the hate.
The biggest disadvantage is that they don't look as cool. They also may not make as satisfying a 'click' as metal mounts when snapping the lens into place. But on the upside, they won't cause surface scratches on your camera's lens mount.

On a large or heavy lens (like a 70-200mm f/2.8 or a 'Bigma') that puts a lot of force on the mount when the lens is hanging in space, I expect that a metal mount may offer some structural advantage, but for a small/light lens it's probably not an issue.

07-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Nobody has answered my earlier question as to what exactly is wrong with plastic mounts. I really don't get it, and somebody needs to explain the hate.
They break. Also plastic mounts don't have the ability to manual focus when the camera is set to AF.S or AF.C - you have to actually switch the camera to MF to turn the focus ring. They are generally all-around of poorer construction than metal mounts, although the same optics.
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Also plastic mounts don't have the ability to manual focus when the camera is set to AF.S or AF.C - you have to actually switch the camera to MF to turn the focus ring.
Umm...I don't think that actually has anything to do with the material the mount is made from.
07-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
They break. Also plastic mounts don't have the ability to manual focus when the camera is set to AF.S or AF.C - you have to actually switch the camera to MF to turn the focus ring. They are generally all-around of poorer construction than metal mounts, although the same optics.
Wow. First, its the quick shift that allows the focusing when not in MF on the camera and that is at the other end of the lens.

Second, just where are the reports of the plastic lens mounts used in modern Pentax lenses breaking?

Third, all-around poorer construction? Really, and just what is the failure rate of the DAL 18-55, DAL 50-200, DAL 55-300, and the DA35/2.4? Now, take those numbers and compare them to metal mounted highest priced lenses offered by Pentax, oh say the SDM Zooms. Now, which has the higher failure rate? Which are more poorly constructed?

Wow.

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I certainly am hoping you are right! If the 35/2.4 were all metal with the same optics (which are what really matter) people would rave about it. I'd love to see them do an 18mm like the 35 too.
A metal build is available now: 35 ltd

As for DAL lenses breaking: yeah, if they're dropped a few times, from a >3m height or so, sure, they would before metal mount lenses do, but I wouldn't expect that most people are into extreme photography in austere conditions where such durability is a must...
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A metal build is available now: 35 ltd .
Oh, right, the SLOWER version of the lens.
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #67
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Slower by about half a stop... little to worry about there. The 35 ltd is also a macro, though.

07-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Slower by about half a stop... little to worry about there. The 35 ltd is also a macro, though.
Slower but Macro, seems a wash to me - so it sells for about the same as the 35/2.4 - right?
07-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #69
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly not, but also clearly it is built like a tank with awesome IQ and is a lens to last forever like the other Limiteds...
That's how I like to see lenses anyway...
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wow. First, its the quick shift that allows the focusing when not in MF on the camera and that is at the other end of the lens. Second, just where are the reports of the plastic lens mounts used in modern Pentax lenses breaking? Third, all-around poorer construction? Really, and just what is the failure rate of the DAL 18-55, DAL 50-200, DAL 55-300, and the DA35/2.4? Now, take those numbers and compare them to metal mounted highest priced lenses offered by Pentax, oh say the SDM Zooms. Now, which has the higher failure rate? Which are more poorly constructed? Wow.
Well, I have to admit I don't own them all - in fact I don't own any plastic mount lenses. I'm just going by forum posts I've read, product reviews, and as far as quick-shift goes, Pentax's own product descriptions. Breakage may not be a huge problem with this short lens, but it definitely is with the 55-300mm DA-L zoom - you can read about that in user reviews on Amazon and other sites.

Sorry I don't have any rigorous statistics to share - I tend to just go by what I read, what other people say, etc. - you know, the same stuff most people go by in day-to-day real life.
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #71
Veteran Member

A metal build is available now: 35 ltd

As for DAL lenses breaking: yeah, if they're dropped a few times, from a >3m height or so, sure, they would before metal mount lenses do
Plastic would break, metal would dent, but in reality if either lens was impacted hard enough to break/dent, then it's not going to be good for the lens.
07-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #72
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Umm...I don't think that actually has anything to do with the material the mount is made from.
Nope - just seems to be what Pentax does with them going by their own product descriptions and reviews.
07-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #73
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You know that what you read on fora like this doesn't accurately reflect the reality. You'll always get selection bias and have users who report failures actively posting to say how their gear failed. This will happen whether the gear was misused, abused, or otherwise. The plastic mounts are fine. The DAL lenses are so much lighter you might think that they're prone to failures or are cheaper in optical quality, but Pentax are known to make good gear that is small, light as well as durable and optically brilliant. FA and DA limiteds are testament to this.
07-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Plastic mount breaks, hah.

My friend dropped my k-x with the DA 35 F2.4 from above head height (i.e. about 6') to a marble floor. Both are fine.

If he didn't look so sorry, the most damaged thing in that room would have been him, but alas, since the camera and lens were fine...
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #75
Veteran Member

You'll always get selection bias and have users who report failures actively posting to say how their gear failed. This will happen whether the gear was misused, abused, or otherwise. The plastic mounts are fine. The DAL lenses are so much lighter you might think that they're prone to failures or are cheaper in optical quality, but Pentax are known to make good gear that is small, light as well as durable and optically brilliant.
I agree to this!

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My friend dropped my k-x with the DA 35 F2.4 from above head height (i.e. about 6') to a marble floor. Both are fine.
If I fell (and landed flat, not with my feet) from that height, I would've had a few broken bones.
Plastic K-x and plastic mount lens= tougher than my own body... or in that case at least Sure it's plastic, but it's not as brittle as some may think.

but in any case, accidents happen, and one does not simply drop his lenses anyway, so if it makes the photography experience easier (weight issues, how long can I handle my K-x with the DA 35 f2.4? Hours on end!) I guess it's fine.