Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My thoughts on new cameras

I truly don't care whether Pentax, a brand I've used and trusted since my teens, brings out another camera or not. I'm tired of all the threads about the new releases and have for the most part ignored them. I don't have the money to go out and buy a new camera so I can have the newest when I haven't even mastered my film slr or even my P&S - I know damn well there are others who feel this way.

As ignorant as I am about all this tech-speak I would rather see people's techniques and photographic work, be it with film or digital, that's why I come to PentaxForums.

And BTW, I've never EVER handled a Nikon or a Canon so, do me a favour and stop comparing camera brands because you're making me puke.

If you're going to flame or bash don't bother - there are other thread for that.

01-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I can understand your point. It's one of the reasons I come here instead of dpreview. The forums have a lot more picture taking going on instead of people fretting over the nuances in gear they might or might not use.

On the other hand we are in the paper release period where there is an announcement, but nobody has it yet. All you can do is ignore all the threads whining that reality didn't live up to their speculation or exactly what they wanted and thus "IT IZ TEH ENDS OF TEH PENTAX!!!!111!!!! OHS NOHS!!!!!!!111!!!111".

I think it's a nice imporvement but I need more lenses and more practice before I can honestly say my K10D can't deliver what I need it to.

Post some stuff, ask questions, the forum will indeed be capable of non-k20D discussion if someone starts it.
01-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, no need to go postal man, though I fully understand your concern.

Thing is, DSLRs have become gadgets in this day and age, so you really can't stop the tech-inclined people from putting in their 2 cents.

Also, you might be better off just sticking to the other sections of this forum, as the News and Rumors section certainly isn't the place to discuss photographic works and techniques. You might also want to consider joining other brand-agnostic photo forums.

Basically, you're simply in the wrong area of the forum. If you can't stand the comparisons and such, do yourself a favor and restrain yourself from coming here. Other people won't certainly stop the gripes, praises, and comparisons.
01-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
[...] and thus "IT IZ TEH ENDS OF TEH PENTAX!!!!111!!!! OHS NOHS!!!!!!!111!!!111". [...]
This.

01-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Basically, you're simply in the wrong area of the forum.
I second this. I actually registered as a new user today because this forum has this "News and Rumors" section which can be ignored by photographers.
01-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

JC!

Quick! Check out the Post Your Photos section.

A newly developed proprietory method of capturing unique images is being released to the world!

There is hope yet.
01-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
You might also want to consider joining other brand-agnostic photo forums.
Thanks, but I certainly don't need you to suggest I should be joining other fora.

QuoteQuote:
Basically, you're simply in the wrong area of the forum. If you can't stand the comparisons and such, do yourself a favor and restrain yourself from coming here. Other people won't certainly stop the gripes, praises, and comparisons.
See my answer below of why I happen to be in the N&R section.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
This.
Pardon my ignorance, but you you please tell me what you mean by your reply.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I second this. I actually registered as a new user today because this forum has this "News and Rumors" section which can be ignored by photographers.
I read the forum by clicking on New Posts and unfortunately sometimes click on posts in the "News and Rumors" because the OP doesn't know how to enter a title.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Quick! Check out the Post Your Photos section.

A newly developed proprietory method of capturing unique images is being released to the world!

There is hope yet.
Sorry Tom - I don't understand. Or was that a sarchastic remark - I'm no good at them either.
01-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
I can understand your point. It's one of the reasons I come here instead of dpreview. The forums have a lot more picture taking going on instead of people fretting over the nuances in gear they might or might not use.

On the other hand we are in the paper release period where there is an announcement, but nobody has it yet. All you can do is ignore all the threads whining that reality didn't live up to their speculation or exactly what they wanted and thus "IT IZ TEH ENDS OF TEH PENTAX!!!!111!!!! OHS NOHS!!!!!!!111!!!111".
Very well said, my friend. During the period before and shortly after the new camera is available for sale, we can look forward to the following threads:

1) The debates about features (or lack thereof) that you mention.

2) Rancorous discussions about whether the dim line in a 100% blow up of a radically underexposed image taken at ISO3200 is banding or pattern noise or imaginary.

3) Anguish expressed if the release date is missed by so much as a week (and the resulting implosion of Pentax); rumors of delays will catalyze similar threads.

4) Early adopter with a faulty example expanding his/her anecdotal experience to a blanket damnation of all things Pentax and the fools that use them - along with replies that say, "well mine works so you must be doing something wrong."

5) Discussions devoted to what Canon and Nikon owners think about new Pentax models.

6) Indignant discourse on what reviewers say about the new offering, with attendent arguments about RAW vs JPEG.

The good news - as you suggest - is that on Pentax Forums all this stuff is easily avoided, even for those of us that have an interest in the new cameras.

Jer

01-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

JC...

Sorry. I guess I was a little vague.

Just trying to lighten the mood and get you over to the Post Your Photos section to look at my revolutionary photo of a crow.
01-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did look at your artwork, before I came in here.
01-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Thanks, but I certainly don't need you to suggest I should be joining other fora.
Of course.