Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Could be, but in choosing non-entry-level cameras, certainly one goes a little more in-depth with the specs of the camera, considering our protagonist Mr. Smith wants best value for money.

You'd think so, but that's not always the case. One of my friends recently bought a Digital Rebel. He really didn't do much research before buying it. He'd had a film Rebel...liked it...so he bought the digital version. He got so suckered by the salesman that he even re-bought lenses he pretty much already had. The sales guy just convinced him that his film lenses wouldn't be acceptable for digital purposes. For the money he spent, there were a number of directions he could have gone if he'd bothered to look into things a bit, not to mention he missed out on the upgrade to the Rebel by only a week or so. But, he's happy with his purchase, so I guess that's the bottom line.

01-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #47
SouthShoreRob

Mr. Smith will buy the brand which he is familiar with from seeing "pro" shooters at his favourite sporting events; like the Canon guy he sees at the hockey rink, or the Nikon guy he sees when boxing is in town. Brand power goes a long way when it comes to high $ purchases, and that old expression "seeing is believing" tends to rule all.

If Mr. Smith is as educated as the rest of us here, however, he'll definitely give the Pentax product a good look too.

Rob
01-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Mr. Smith will buy the brand which he is familiar with from seeing "pro" shooters at his favourite sporting events; like the Canon guy he sees at the hockey rink, or the Nikon guy he sees when boxing is in town. Brand power goes a long way when it comes to high $ purchases, and that old expression "seeing is believing" tends to rule all.
I'll bet dollars to donuts that Mr. Smith has no idea whatsoever what brand of cameras are used at sporting events.
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'll bet dollars to donuts that Mr. Smith has no idea whatsoever what brand of cameras are used at sporting events.

I agree

Of course sometimes there is an advantage to small towns. Every single sports photographer / reporter in our town uses nikon. Yep Tony has a d200 *LOL*

for that matter 50% of our journos use nikon. Tony and Darryl (who doubles as my kids school bus driver) both use nikon. Lou and Gary both use Olympus P&S

Phil

01-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
From the photos I've seen of B&H (I haven't been inside the store itself), Pentax does have a stand, only that they're sharing the same stand with Olympus. Not sure if the photos I've seen are recent or what.
That's true as of early January--I popped into B&H to take some test shots with a demo K10D before buying. There was (iirc) one row of K10D and K100D Super, and a row staggered beneath it of Pentax P&S. On another side of the booth, there was a row of Oly DSLRs. On the third side, there was a row of Oly P&S. The last side was accessories, etc.

There is some recognition to the Pentax name--they're been around a long time. The problem is that the first comment is always "is that digital?"
01-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #51
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
He doesn't have to know what it is, he can read...and you know it's gonna say NIKON or CANON on the body, lens, bag, strap, whatever.
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If pentax realy wanted to get serious about sales. It would be the camera on the CSI tv shows. I bet that would increase there market share. lol

I was Mr. Smith last March when I gave my Oylmpus C-750 UZ to my wife and got my K100D but I did have a old pentax camera in the early 70's and I realy liked it alot. It was stolen when I was in the Marine Corp in Hawaii and never got back into photography till I retired a few years ago.
I did about 3 months or online research. And since I forgot everything I knew about a SLR I thought I better go with the cheaper K100 instead of the K10 until I learn everything all over again. But I'm so brain damaged I may be out of luck... But I'm very happy with what I have.
And thanks again to all the forums and you guys for steering in the right direction.
01-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #53

Maybe Joe Smith has unfortunately never heard of Pentax....or atleast not enough to hold them in high regard. My wife is Japanese and she often says too me..." Pentax are very small company and I have never seen one of their advertisements, Canon and Nikon always advertise and Nikon always use famous people in Japan". I hate to say it but somehow they have to raise there profile. Being an F1 fan I have the red canon letters on the 93 or so Williams Renault indellibly etched in my mind. Such a pity Pentax cant afford to put their big fat red letters across the side of an F1 car. F1=cutting edge technology.........just dont mention the 3fps. Maybe to front wing.or the sleeve even.

01-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #54

and Olympus sponsored Ferrari in 2003Olympus sponsor Ferrari F1 team: Digital Photography Review with a sign on the nose just above the Fiat sign (the 2003 picture)The Official Formula 1 Website for anyone thats interested.
01-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #55
Site Supporter

I think Pentax advertising could do well associating itself with the fashion world. Like Big Ben always says, at one time Pentax=fashion photography.

I'd like to see Pentax's lined up down the runway during fashion week. I'd like to see stars and luminaries with Pentax's around their neck as jewelery. (You occasionally see that with Leicas or Nikons.) There's lots of good potential to build brand awareness thanks to the non-stop coverage of the fashion and entertainment worlds. I could also see high-powered cross promotion in magazines, like a campaign that can run in Popular Photography emphasizing fashion and portrait, and a campaign in Vanity Fair or Esquire emphasizing the Pentax fashion lifestyle.

Canon currently own sports. Why chase that train -- they wanted to own it, now they do. Nikon are doing a good job of chasing them.

Fashion seems under-served. Fuji and Sigma would like to own that market, but they don't have any old-skool camera cred. Pentax has the history, Pentax has the jewel-like cameras, Pentax has the IQ, Pentax has shooters like Big Ben.

Fashion also bleeds into many other (less rareified) markets -- wedding, portraiture, family snaps, the "strobist" crowd, band photography, stock photography -- all big market points that look to fashion photography as the "gold standard."
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I think Pentax advertising could do well associating itself with the fashion world. Like Big Ben always says, at one time Pentax=fashion photography.

I'd like to see Pentax's lined up down the runway during fashion week. I'd like to see stars and luminaries with Pentax's around their neck as jewelery. (You occasionally see that with Leicas or Nikons.) There's lots of good potential to build brand awareness thanks to the non-stop coverage of the fashion and entertainment worlds. I could also see high-powered cross promotion in magazines, like a campaign that can run in Popular Photography emphasizing fashion and portrait, and a campaign in Vanity Fair or Esquire emphasizing the Pentax fashion lifestyle.

Canon currently own sports. Why chase that train -- they wanted to own it, now they do. Nikon are doing a good job of chasing them.

Fashion seems under-served. Fuji and Sigma would like to own that market, but they don't have any old-skool camera cred. Pentax has the history, Pentax has the jewel-like cameras, Pentax has the IQ, Pentax has shooters like Big Ben.

Fashion also bleeds into many other (less rareified) markets -- wedding, portraiture, family snaps, the "strobist" crowd, band photography, stock photography -- all big market points that look to fashion photography as the "gold standard."

Very astute...Pentax does have a Fashion Pedigree

Ben
Attached Images

01-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #57

Fashion s about sex, isen't it? So this could turn Pentax into the sexy alternative.

This is a very strong argument for a come back of the good old fashioned Aperture Stimulator (typo intended).

Tim
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #58
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Fashion s about sex, isen't it? So this could turn Pentax into the sexy alternative.

This is a very strong argument for a come back of the good old fashioned Aperture Stimulator (typo intended).

Tim
Actually fashion seems to be more about creating a very high demand for something nobody really "needed" in the first place. If Pentax used fashion more in their advertising they just might sell more cameras.
01-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #59

I thought fashiion, glamour and the arts was more Nikons domain. When I think of Pentax I think of creativity, innovation, adventure and exploration........pushing the limits and boundaries. A product that stands out from the crowd. Maybe they advertised in my grandfathers old Nat Geo magazines........so it has stuck im my sub conscience. I cant remember but I used to read them. Sponsorship of events, programs, activities that involve adventure, exploration, exotic places, pushing the boundaries and limits would foster this image. Such as mountain climbing, underwater exploration such as Jacque Costeau type programs, Paris Dakar type events, Tour de France, space exploration, round the world yacht races(those sales are pretty big)Some examples of the things Pentax sponsors or image used
Touareg Trail 2007 - Official site
MARS Advanced Rocketry Society (MARS)
G. Brad Lewis - Volcano Photography - Articles & Interviews
BOARDS ONLINE news - TEAM AIRBORNE ANNOUNCES PENTAX SPONSORSHIP
01-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"Marketing and advertising now comes into play."

How true.
Hopefully, they drop the silly "Pentaxian" [sounds like a dinosauer to me] promotional.