Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 at Target

The folks that think Pentax USA is on the right track will be absolutely thrilled to hear that the Target website, despite them being out of stock, now has the following listed:

Free Shipping if you spend more than $50

K-30 body only = $849

K-30 with 18-55 = $899

07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Not sold in stores..." Arrgh, I hate when I see that. They do that with some toys too. It usually means they are getting very limited stock and likely won't have it in 95% of the time. I'm beginning to have this real love/hate thing with Target. I wish they'd just sell things both online and in the darned stores and leave it at that.
07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Target is probably going to order a small quantity (maybe 50-100) of each K-30 kit at a time- that's why they're not sold in stores. They wouldn't even be able to have 1 camera at every location!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Target is probably going to order a small quantity (maybe 50-100) of each K-30 kit at a time- that's why they're not sold in stores. They wouldn't even be able to have 1 camera at every location!
I thought this was parallel to the 50/1.8 - just not in the stores yet. So this does not increase the presence in B&M stores. And after all that hype. Sad.

07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sadly, even the retail brick and mortar stores where Pentax is sold don't seem to be helping much ... at least not yet. I was in Crutchfield yesterday. They recently started carrying Pentax DSLRs. The sales rep told me I was the first person in the two months since they started with Pentax that had even inquired about a Pentax product. Where is the advertising? With a great value-laden product like the K-30, you'd think just a few well placed TV ads hyping up the IQ and ruggedness/weather sealing would do wonders.
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Sadly, even the retail brick and mortar stores where Pentax is sold don't seem to be helping much ... at least not yet. I was in Crutchfield yesterday. They recently started carrying Pentax DSLRs. The sales rep told me I was the first person in the two months since they started with Pentax that had even inquired about a Pentax product. Where is the advertising? With a great value-laden product like the K-30, you'd think just a few well placed TV ads hyping up the IQ and ruggedness/weather sealing would do wonders.
No arguments here. They did a nice video in Asia, that apparently included a well known actor. We've had several people living in Tokyo comment on having seen it many times already.
07-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Better than alternative

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Better consumers expect to buy a Pentax on-line than to expect it at a store, goes to the local store after work and finds it is not in stock, and buys Canikon instead (because they are there staring them in the face). Such is life as a gnat. I hope Target sells dozens of them on-line....

07-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is nothing new really. Pentax DSLRs have been on tons of big chain stores' websites like Target and Best Buy for quite some time now, but very rarely ever appear in store (never in most cases).

I wouldn't read too much into it unless they actually put them in store. After all, the average consumer that shops at these places isn't going to go looking for it online if they don't know it exists, and most probably find out in stores.

Last edited by Cannikin; 07-18-2012 at 02:30 PM.
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually sent their customer service an e mail to see if they carry 645d, and I got their reply saying that it is currently out of stock at the moment. What a shame.
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No arguments here. They did a nice video in Asia, that apparently included a well known actor. We've had several people living in Tokyo comment on having seen it many times already.
Yeah.. This seems logical.. you want to advertise.. I know that costs serious money.. but if a large part of the country doesn't know what you offer.. or even that you exist.. its time to make yourself well known. Or die slowly.

The K-30 is rugged.. why not advertise during sporting events on TV? Protects against cold.. show someone at the Iditarod with the camera.. Protects against rain.. show them rolling out the tarps on a baseball diamond, but pentax shooter still going in the rain.. Protects against dust.. show someone photographing cars flying by at an auto rally or on a beach during a volleyball match... rainy, muddy football match and canikon users running for cover.. but rugged Pentax user still going strong. etc etc
07-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I realize that this is nothing new and know that Pentax has been available online through big box retailers in the US in the past. The problem is that we were all told, back at the start of Pentax's new Maximum Assured Pricing policy, that the new huge price increases on lenses was because Target negotiations required it in order to support Pentax being available in B&M stores. Now we come to find out that Pentax will only be available online at Target? Stories are starting to not add up.
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Having them online only at Target is really disappointing. I was hoping that they would be carried in the stores because if I ever got into a bind and I needed a quick replacement I would have one available at a Target down the street. Not to mention that I would love to just pay the sales tax when I buy the camera instead of having to cut the state a separate check after I order something online. Now the only people who would be likely to buy a Pentax at Target are those who already know about the brand and those people were likely to head straight for Adorama or B&H anyway.

The only interesting thing could be those that get returned from online to the store. I got a great deal on the Jill.e Jack Leather Camera Rolling Bag at Target. It was $439 online and someone ordered it (and a bunch of other camera bags) from online and then returned them to my store. They sat for about 2 months at 30% off of the online price before I talked the guy in electronics to sell it to me for $100. If ordering online means an instant 30% discount for items returned to the store, I will be hoping for a return K30. At 30% off I would buy immediately to be my back-up and sell my K20.
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stories are starting to not add up.

"starting"

<snicker>
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

"starting"

<snicker>
It means that it was adding up somewhat at one time or another.
07-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

"starting"

<snicker>
So excuse me for trying to be positive