Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi, this is very good news. Somehow I dont think it is going to spread to Australia when pentax australia (granted it is a distributor so not pentax's fault) hasn't yet to updated their webpage to announce the k20d !!!! LOL

talk about committed distributors

01-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Guys, he did state the requirement, but I'll clarify a little more: 51% or more of all your (taxable) income comes from photography... That means it's your primary job, not a part-time thing. I am sure they don't have the resources to accommodate part-timers for the demo/loaner program, hence the requirements...

Cheers,
Marc
Marc, I forgot to put a sarcasm sign on my post. I was kidding. I know my place in life.
01-26-2008, 02:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Hi, this is very good news. Somehow I dont think it is going to spread to Australia when pentax australia (granted it is a distributor so not pentax's fault) hasn't yet to updated their webpage to announce the k20d !!!! LOL

I heard words that they did not know the existence of k20d til few days ago ...

Sigh ...
01-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I heard words that they did not know the existence of k20d til few days ago ...

Sigh ...
The folks at C R Kennedy are selling Sigmas up to their eyeballs to notice the new cameras.

01-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Marc, I forgot to put a sarcasm sign on my post. I was kidding. I know my place in life.
Dave, my apologies! I was more concerned with others carrying the ball, so that's why I clarified.
01-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
This is big news people. Not for me, but from a business philosophy standpoint for Pentoya. They have just beat Sony to the mark for pro service, haven't they?
I think they did. Sony probably doesn't see their A700 as a pro's camera still. Dunno.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
This is for US customers only!
Bummer. Wish they could also do this in my country if only to get more pros to hook up with Pentax. The local distributor makes it hard, though, so most end up with Canon or Nikon.

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote

How about distributors where I live? They're still selling the K100D Super at ~$700.

Thank God for internet shopping and reliable stores like B&H.
01-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Quick!

Chris - name me 10 Pentax Pros based in the U.S. who would qualify for this program!

Presumably this service is for future use?

01-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Chris - name me 10 Pentax Pros based in the U.S. who would qualify for this program!

Norman Phillips
Fred Johnson
Pam Parkinson
Shirely Dick
Abby Sheilds
Deb Harris

Those are all Pentax pro's that I can think of off and all but one lives within 20 miles of me. Norman Phillips was a Nikon 2Dx etc. shooter that switched to a K10D and gave up his Nikon sponsorship to do it.

So I need to think of 4 more by the end of the day
01-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Off the top of my shaved head...

Godfrey D.
Mark Dimalanta
James Kerrick
Eric E.
Brendan K.
Julie
Allan (shoots Canon and Pentax)

That's just a quick recall... I am sure I am missing some people! I believe Julie is a naturalist, and photography is part of her job duties.

Indeed, it's to lay the foundation for the future.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-26-2008 at 11:12 AM.
01-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

ME lol

i make the requirements
01-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Marc-

"I believe Julie is a naturalist, and photography is part of her job duties."

I'm in a similar position with my employment, but don't consider myself a professional photographer because the photography part of my employment with Parks Canada doesn't make up more than 51% of my duties.

So... if Julie qualifies, I want in, too!

ps- shaved??? I thought that was a natural look. I know I don't shave my head, but am beginning to look more like you every day.

Nathan- You came to mind first.
01-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm in a similar position with my employment, but don't consider myself a professional photographer because the photography part of my employment with Parks Canada doesn't make up more than 51% of my duties.

ps- shaved??? I thought that was a natural look. I know I don't shave my head, but am beginning to look more like you every day.

i been waiting for some thing like this the 30 day turnaround for repars is a KILLER but if they send a lonere that is COOL and try out new gear before i buy WOW that way i can tell how it fells before i decide if i can use it and buy it there is no where that sales new Pentax gear near me. i have not had to menny problems about the cameras braking down i did have some AF problems with my K10D when i first got it but it works now. i would think of it as GOOD inshorince thow
01-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Julie's primary work is photographing conservation related things, so that's a toss up I guess?

Regarding the hair... just wait... it sort of creeps back on you....
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Yes its hard to qualify for the program, its meant to be. They are giving special services for free and these cost a lot. Even though the 72hr turnaround time for repairs is available you will still need to pay for them, but the rentals are free with free shipping to you.
I am in the process right now of being approved (they said I should have no problem, but it still go's to a board to vote on and between me sending in my stuff late and the trade shows the US office has been rather empty)
But also they are still trying to build up an inventory of “35mm” equipment and lenses, a lot of the stuff they need to special order from Japan (if they plan on having any FA* lenses 300, F2.8, 600mm F4 etc.) They also need to get caught up in orders to retailers in the USA before they stock their own shelves. But if you want to barrow med-format stuff you can now, I’m thinking of trying a 645 again for a bit, or maybe a 67
Overall guys this program is design for the working pros. YES their only a few of us in the USA who only use pentax gear, but think about the market share too.
Be happy they are offering this to begin with, it’s a step in the right direction.
If you want to have the pro status you must work at it. It has taken me close to 10 years between schooling etc to get where I am today and I am still not overly comfortable, I pay for my own benefits etc. but I do make my living doing what I love, Photography (with pentax cameras)
01-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Very exciting news, and from the info sounds like they mean business.