Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Suggestion: Smart Bulb with Live View!

I would like to see this feature. If they can write code for an intervalometer, then lets see this!

Now, I've been thinking about DSLR Time Exposures for some years now, and have captured many images using this technique with film and now digital. This is specifically concerning single exposures of a long duration (over 1 Min.); nighttime exposures.

With that in mind, even with the advent of technology, I'm often not able to have decent exposures without experimentation. As is/was the case with film and reciprocity failure. I am now able to make exposures, preview them, and make any adjustments on my digital SLR in a reasonable amount of time. My current camera being a Pentax K10D, allows me to do long exposures using the Bulb setting. Although when the captures exceed a minute, the camera processing is time consuming (better than film, but still trial, wait and error).

My suggestion to Pentax (Hello are you listening?), would to be able to see the exposure as it progressed in a live view. It would be like when I was in the darkroom and slipped an image into the developer. The image would appear faint at first and get better. Except this would be way better! I can see it now:

Introducing: Smart Bulb with Live View! Set to "B" and Just press the shutter release, and press again when it "appears" done.

Actually, that would be the basic idea. Except I would expect some control through the IR remote or corded release. I have also considered the fact that a tethered monitor or laptop for expanded capability and better viewing would be an option.

Imagine for a moment, that the image you are creating is of a highway at night, with cars streaking by periodically; or bolts of lightning during a storm; or fireworks even. Common to each of these? They are intermittent subjects. Each one requires a certain amount of guesswork as to the amount the sources' overlap and multiply the lighting effect. So, I leave you with this. Thoughts?

Last edited by digitalphil; 01-25-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Clarity...
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Introducing: Smart Bulb with Live View! Set to "B" and Just press the shutter release, and press again when it appears done.
That used to be called "Time mode" (T). Back in the day.