Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I wasn't asking about you "proving everything all over again". I was merely (and IMO politely) asking for a link/quote/pointer towards that information. At least a 50-pages thread where I could look into, since the search keywords I used, and browsing few threads where UPP was discussed did not return the expected result.
Your earlier statements are irrelevant, in this context; I'm not questioning your credibility.

07-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wasn't asking about you "proving everything all over again". I was merely (and IMO politely) asking for a link/quote/pointer towards that information. At least a 50-pages thread where I could look into, since the search keywords I used, and browsing few threads where UPP was discussed did not return the expected result.
Your earlier statements are irrelevant, in this context; I'm not questioning your credibility.
So basically this is about which one of you is the lazier bum, right? Well, I'm lazy too (busy is more like it), and am not going to take the time to find it, but it is out there.
07-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Is that a statement made by PRIC USA? Can I see a quote/link?
Thank you.
From Ned's blog:
QuoteQuote:
While I can’t share certain details, I can tell you that establishing a level playing field is critical to our expansion in the States. This includes new partners being able to carry and offer not only our cameras but our lenses. The prices some of you refer to are likely found “online” and have in the past represented significant discounts which no storefront can compete against. As such, until we create parity in pricing, it’s very hard to get retailers to want to carry or expand their support for Pentax.
And in response to comments Ned wrote:
QuoteQuote:
Yes, we were in Costco several years ago, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find out that our weatherproof line is now being carried in over 1700 stores whose primary color is red. It's a first step but important on many levels. Thanks, Ned

Last edited by cfraz; 07-19-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Link didn't show up
07-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yea, maybe I am being a downer...when judging the health of a company, see how well it is doing in Romania and Norway and ignore the US.
I think the point was not to attribute globally what is happening just in the US. Perhaps the US is or is not the major market in the world but there are others and Pentax might be doing things totally different in them. If one views the US market as what and how everything is done in the world then one would assume Peugeot does not make cars anymore however in Europe and Mexico they seem common. But I could be wrong and the American market is all that counts. Of course it is an important one but when some one points out that it is not that way in their country why dismiss their country?

07-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
So basically this is about which one of you is the lazier bum, right? Well, I'm lazy too (busy is more like it), and am not going to take the time to find it, but it is out there.
Not exactly. I often go and find threads or references for people. The problem is that in the original debate I was slammed over and over again by the fanboys no matter what evidence I went and found for them. I'm very tired of finding things in this particular debate, and will not go and find the information that is there for anyone to find if they actually put forth a modicum of effort.
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've said it before and I'll say it once more. The Pentax distributor in the US is doing a lousy job. Just look at Canada for proof. You can find Pentax on the shelf in most decent sized cities. I was at a small outdoor music festival on the weekend and there were three other Pentax shooters. But that's because our town (pop. 150,000) has a good selection of Pentax gear at the local Henry's, with at least a couple of sales reps who like Pentax. Online sales is a dead end. You need to display and sell your gear in stores.

PS Thom Hogan is a gasbag with a long history of predicting the demise of Pentax.
07-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Docrwm, you are misunderstanding the reason I'm asking (maybe also the question itself?). I'm by no means lazy, but if after a considerable search effort I cannot find such information, an information I don't remember ever seeing (even if I watch this forum), I can only say it doesn't exist.

cfraz, thank you but this is not what I asked for (i.e. if PRIAC said they implemented UPP because of Target). Ned's blog does not contain such a statement (I've read it then, I re-read it now to double check).
Anyway, this is off-topic and, as Docrwm fears, it could re-start old debates. If anyone knows something about such a statement and can give me a pointer, please do so - on private messaging.
Thank you.

07-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
PS Thom Hogan is a gasbag with a long history of predicting the demise of Pentax.
Exactly. He's been talking about it at least since at least 2005 (when I got my DS). To be truthful I don't understand why people even bother to quote him, his track record is abysmal.

NaCl(would you trust someone who has been consistantly wrong for the last 7 years?)H2O
07-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
Pentaxian

He could not even understand the nature of their troubles (i.e. shareholders), just gloating that he was "right".
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He could not even understand the nature of their troubles (i.e. shareholders), just gloating that he was "right".
He was wrong nine years in a row when he predicted Pentax would fold. Things must be looking up, he's grousing at Pentax, but not predicting imminent death.
07-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I'd agree with Hogan's analysis except for one point. Pentax USA became an internet only distribution concern for all practical purposes since the early days of the Hoya takeover. I'd be very surprised if the B&M sales percentage is above single digits. Pentax USA did that experiment already and I think it turned out poorly. Now they are trying to get back some shelf-space, it seems. Succeeding will take lots of time and dollars. Is Ricoh committed enough to see it through???
Before UPP, why would anyone buy from Pentax Imaging in Colorado when the can just as easily get it from BH, Adorama, Abe's, 47th St etc.? That is rhetorical.
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I think the point was not to attribute globally what is happening just in the US. Perhaps the US is or is not the major market in the world but there are others and Pentax might be doing things totally different in them. If one views the US market as what and how everything is done in the world then one would assume Peugeot does not make cars anymore however in Europe and Mexico they seem common. But I could be wrong and the American market is all that counts. Of course it is an important one but when some one points out that it is not that way in their country why dismiss their country?
It is generally because we don't shop there or the country is the size of NY state. If New York state was a country, Pentax would appear to have a good distribution system. Plus, many times, they take a veiled dig at the U.S.A. and sometimes not so veiled.

You were a participant of the 2 main threads regarding UPP. You should be able to find it.

Last edited by Blue; 07-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it once more. The Pentax distributor in the US is doing a lousy job. Just look at Canada for proof. You can find Pentax on the shelf in most decent sized cities. I was at a small outdoor music festival on the weekend and there were three other Pentax shooters. But that's because our town (pop. 150,000) has a good selection of Pentax gear at the local Henry's, with at least a couple of sales reps who like Pentax. Online sales is a dead end. You need to display and sell your gear in stores.

Very true. However, he is right about one thing. Pentax Imaging needs to step up to the plate and hit the ball. The Ricoh Boys in Japan need to let them play ball.
07-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #44
mee
Veteran Member

I predict it is going to rain soon.

*It doesn't rain that day*

(Next Day)
I Predict it is going to rain soon.

*It doesn't rain that day*

(Next Day)

*it doesnt rain that day*

(40 days later)

*it rains that day*

See what did I tell you? it rained.
07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Is that a statement made by PRIC USA? Can I see a quote/link?
Thank you.
try searching for threads started by me with a keyword 'target'.

edit: Ha! I deleted the link. Shame on me.

Target "announced" it had been demanding a same pricing policy for it's retailers about a month? (lag time for a magazine article?) before MAP. Not too sure on the dates, but the customer knowledge went something like:

MAP implemented
Target says it requires MAP
PRIC hints they will be in target

Within a few weeks or so.