Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
try searching for threads started by me with a keyword 'target'.

edit: Ha! I deleted the link. Shame on me.

Target "announced" it had been demanding a same pricing policy for it's retailers about a month? (lag time for a magazine article?) before MAP. Not too sure on the dates, but the customer knowledge went something like:

MAP implemented
Target says it requires MAP
PRIC hints they will be in target

Within a few weeks or so.
All within the context of Maximum Assured Pricing bringing us all to the promised land of a B&M Pentax dealer on every corner ( or at least somewhere other than NYC).

07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #47
Pentaxian

People, I can use a search function; and of course 'target' was the first keyword in my mind.
What I was looking for was PRIAC, stating how they implemented UPP because of Target; not how you reached this conclusion, even if by the most logical means. But I can't find it if it doesn't exist, can I?
Anyway, it's not important but more of curiosity of mine; since Doc claimed that several times, I thought he could easily tell me the source, to see the exact words they were using. But now we've lost too much time on it. Thanks for trying to help.
07-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Pentax distributor in the US is doing a lousy job.
That was certainly true in the past and the recent MSRP roller coaster fiasco unfortunately shows no signs of improvement.

Let's just hope that Ricoh needs a bit more time to sort out distribution channels (and that they take a good look at the New Zealand distributor as well ).

PS Thom Hogan is a gasbag with a long history of predicting the demise of Pentax.
He just keeps trying, thinking that one day he will be right (at which point he'll include the respective post in his "I was right back then"-column).
07-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Read my tag line.

07-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That was certainly true in the past and the recent MSRP roller coaster fiasco unfortunately shows no signs of improvement.

Let's just hope that Ricoh needs a bit more time to sort out distribution channels (and that they take a good look at the New Zealand distributor as well ).
What about South America? Apparently Pentax is not available there are at all. I believe that is Ricoh Pentax Americas territory too.
07-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
Site Supporter

What about South America? Apparently Pentax is not available there are at all. I believe that is Ricoh Pentax Americas territory too.
I don't think so but can't verify it.
07-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't think so but can't verify it.
I could be wrong. There was a question to John Carlson at DPR about no availability in Brazil. The "we" in his reply I took to mean PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, but it could have meant PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY LTD:

"We are working on expanding our distribution in Latin America. I cannot say if or when we will be in Brazil, but are seriously working on it." Re: K-30 Q&A: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Also, there's the word "Americas" in the company name, as opposed to America, which leads me to believe there is more than the US included in their territory. No one refers to the USA as "Americas" or "The Americas". Not so far anyway, but maybe after coming the civil war between the red and blue states. ;-)

07-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I could be wrong. There was a question to John Carlson at DPR about no availability in Brazil. The "we" in his reply I took to mean PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, but it could have meant PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY LTD:

"We are working on expanding our distribution in Latin America. I cannot say if or when we will be in Brazil, but are seriously working on it." Re: K-30 Q&A: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Also, there's the word "Americas" in the company name, as opposed to America, which leads me to believe there is more than the US included in their territory. No one refers to the US as "Americas" or "The Americas".
Its official name is PRIC of the AmericaS which seems to mean US, Mexico, and South America as Canada has their own distributor.
07-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yea, maybe I am being a downer...when judging the health of a company, see how well it is doing in Romania and Norway and ignore the US.
310 million overly-indebted, ageing crybabies versus 3.1 billion young emerging consumers in Asia (outside Japan). America is for shiz anyway for another ten years.
07-21-2012, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
310 million overly-indebted, ageing crybabies versus 3.1 billion young emerging consumers in Asia (outside Japan). America is for shiz anyway for another ten years.
Pentax has pretty much ignored America for a long time now, and it apparently is a winning strategy because Pentax is obviously dominating the competition.
07-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Pentax has pretty much ignored America for a long time now, and it apparently is a winning strategy because Pentax is obviously dominating the competition.
Many retail chains have US origins and international supply chains that are US-governed.

No retail company can ignore the North American consumer. Brand awareness is often closely tied with at least a portion of what the North American consumer defines.

This is changing, but not as fast as many may assume.

Also, North American consumers have access to credit that few developing countries have. So the per capita sell-through rate in North America is much higher than elsewhere, meaning less marketing and distribution costs.
07-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That isn't a nice way to talk about our City, County, State, and Federal governments is it?
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #58
Pentaxian

What puzzles me is how to pronounce 'Thom'...
My Dad was Thomas and always went as Tom.
I guess this guy might be an artiste
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I guess this guy might be an artiste
Is that french for "numsquatz"?

NaCl(because that's definitely what Thom Hogan is)H2O