Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #31
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
So you're saying that the sensor crop would be higher ISO than the Canon? I mean using a 12mp crop from the middle of a 14.6mp sensor would not change any of the imaging characteristics of the sensor. It would be the same as cropping the image in photoshop. As mentioned previously, Canon crippled some of their DSLR's in firmware back in the day...and sony sold a whole lineup of camcorders with the same guts, but different bodies and firmware. People hacked both

If pentax were to cripple a camera, I think they'd just set the output from the full 14.6 mp sensor to 12mp. Re-sample the image in-camera, not crop the sensor. That way you're not confusing buyers with different crop factors (effective focal lengths), viewfinders, etc etc. That being said, the 'crippled electronics' strategy has been used in the past, but I honestly don't think it's a great idea.
I didn't mean anything physically changed with the sensor. My whole argument is to reduce cost across the product range by manufacturing the same sensor for all and "chip binning it" like speeds of processors. I realize now that FLM would change to more of a canonish 1,6 (after you bring it to discussion of course ). But there could be some bonuses too like using more of the center for a DA lens and reduce a bit of vignette and maybe more resolution for the lesser lenses (cost wise).

After all is a business matter and I am thinking Pentax will be able to make a proper decision (without my help anyway!!). All I wanted to say is that a potential K300D for early next year with a 12 Mp res sensor with the presumed performance and IQ of that in K20D would make a lot of sense. Maybe reduce the max ISO to 3200 why not when C and N have a not too clean ISO 1600?! And by then maybe a K30D will bring improvements to separate more the two and justify the price differential and hopefully a K1D with even more pro features. But all 3based on the same sensor mass produced.

My 2 cents.

Radu

01-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #32

It's also possible they have warehouses full of old Sony CCDs to give away asap
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM   #33
RaduA

I am talking about next gen aka K300D ...

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
It's also possible they have warehouses full of old Sony CCDs to give away asap
... and I think K200D is a very competent entry level DSLR except for the huge mistake of hilarious buffer (especially for JPEGs).
01-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #34

looks like we just might get our K1D yet.

Pentax plan calls for higher-grade SLR | Underexposed - CNET News.com

01-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #35
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
Well this is good news. Sometime in March I expect my K20D and if next year my needs will grow, why not? But I don't promisse anything except if they put in K1D my ideea with the hi-speed flash buffer

Thank you for the link, jb!
Radu