Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D raw files at high ISO

Hi boys and gals

I had possibility to try K20d demo brought from Dubai, it had only 0.20 firmware, I couldn't even select iso3200 with this fw version, so only 1600iso files:
link to high iso dngs
IMHO, 1600iso of K20D is .. em.. "mind blowing" if you take into account that is 15mpx aps-c and if you look into 100%crops they are very similar to K10D iso500-640 and noise appears none intrusive, film like. JPG high iso noise is indeed different story, I believe due to early firmware.

Body was mounted with 31 limited, but AF was as quick as with some DA lens, and 31 limited is not the quickest lens in AF AF motor is on a higher note if to compare with K10D. Trap focus feature is very nice, when it is enabled in AF.C continuous shooting is at 3fps and AF is very quick Mirror is nicely damped.

So be prepared to hand out Your wallet:
Pentax_k20d_film1.gif - K20D burst of 25 frames in 1600iso by salesperson one of the frames is imgp0177.jpg.

01-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
raz

thank you, the dng files are excelent, very litle noise at 1600!!!

Can you tell us more details ? How is the live view ? How is the lcd compared to the K10D ? Do you think was higher resolution or not ?
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
RaduA

thanks for the files!

Hi, and thanks for the files!

For a 0.20 firmware the pictures are very good. Let's hope for the best and wait the final results.
01-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
Can you tell us more details ? How is the live view ? How is the lcd compared to the K10D ? Do you think was higher resolution or not ?
Somehow lcd is of little importance to me size is very comparable but I think resolution is better, to confirm that, it is need to have both bodies side by side. Live view is engaged when you press DOF preview, AF wasn't working with this firmware, in manual AF it was fun to see changing focus you press to take photo mirror goes up cam AFs and takes photo

01-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks for sharing. This new sensor seems very promising!
01-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Martynas Quote
Somehow lcd is of little importance to me size is very comparable but I think resolution is better, to confirm that, it is need to have both bodies side by side. Live view is engaged when you press DOF preview, AF wasn't working with this firmware, in manual AF it was fun to see changing focus you press to take photo mirror goes up cam AFs and takes photo
Hi, thanks for your report. I am interested in seeing how exactly the Live View works, specifically the sequence of mirror flip AF etc.

When you are at Live View, and you half depress the shutter, the camera would do a mirror flip and lock AF - am I correct? And it would check exposure at that time?

So when going from half-depress to full depress, does the mirror flip again? Or does the shutter close and open again? Just can't get a good idea of when the camera would do the mirror flip and when not.
01-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
When you are at Live View, and you half depress the shutter, the camera would do a mirror flip and lock AF - am I correct? And it would check exposure at that time?

So when going from half-depress to full depress, does the mirror flip again? Or does the shutter close and open again? Just can't get a good idea of when the camera would do the mirror flip and when not.
with fw 0.20 camera didn't do anything in live view when I pressed shutter button half way or AF button, it flipped mirror and AFed only when shutter was pressed fully, and that's it. It would be nice if the cam could flip mirror and AF when shutter button would be half pressed or AF button pressed.

01-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi boys and gals

I had possibility to try K20d demo brought from Dubai, it had only 0.20 firmware, I couldn't even select iso3200 with this fw version, so only 1600iso files:
link to high iso dngs
IMHO, 1600iso of K20D is .. em.. "mind blowing" if you take into account that is 15mpx aps-c and if you look into 100%crops they are very similar to K10D iso500-640 and noise appears none intrusive, film like. JPG high iso noise is indeed different story, I believe due to early firmware.

Body was mounted with 31 limited, but AF was as quick as with some DA lens, and 31 limited is not the quickest lens in AF AF motor is on a higher note if to compare with K10D. Trap focus feature is very nice, when it is enabled in AF.C continuous shooting is at 3fps and AF is very quick Mirror is nicely damped.

So be prepared to hand out Your wallet:
Pentax_k20d_film1.gif - K20D burst of 25 frames in 1600iso by salesperson one of the frames is imgp0177.jpg.
Thanks for your report, very incouraging. Downloading one of your .DNG files right now.
Regarding AF and Trap focus, does Trap focus mean that the double check of focus is not performed or does it mean that you set focus to a certain distance and image is taken when subject is within that distance?

Regards
Mats
01-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is exactly what I have been looking for. As a raw shooter I have been wondering how the high ISO files look before getting to the Prime processor. These look promising. Looks like sensor level NR is quite good.
01-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mats Quote
Thanks for your report, very incouraging. Downloading one of your .DNG files right now.
Regarding AF and Trap focus, does Trap focus mean that the double check of focus is not performed or does it mean that you set focus to a certain distance and image is taken when subject is within that distance?

Regards
Mats
Trap focus means that there is no double check, after the AF is in its place.
01-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
Forum Member

Thanks, I once had a Chinon Af camera where trap focus meant that you set focus and picture was taken when subject came into focus, I´m glad this is not the case with K20D.
/Mats
01-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks, I once had a Chinon Af camera where trap focus meant that you set focus and picture was taken when subject came into focus, I´m glad this is not the case with K20D.
/Mats
Yep a little bit strange calling of this feature, and certainly it is more useful as in Chinon cam Can't wait to try out it in a rally shoot
01-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for info, and taking the time in posting.

I also found the name a little peculiar, but could be very useful.
01-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Inactive Account

/Mats
This feature has been present in all Pentax autofocus SLR's when used with manual focus "A" series lenses and the camera set to AF. It was (and is) referred to as the "focus trap" feature.

I believe that you can get it to work with AF lenses and also non "A" type MF lenses by using vatious combinations of tape or aluminium foil over some of the lens contacts on the body, but I don't know the various combinations. I'm sure someone here can expand on this, otherwise brandx (Mad Ron) on DPR can.

The oddly named "trap focus" is a new feature on the K20D which is not the same thing at all. It's AF-S without the AF "focus and re-confirm" double check action that is the normal operation for the SAFOX system. In theory it should be faster, but is probably not so accurate. Some folk say it is similar to the Canon method of AF, I cannot comment on this.
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
This feature has been present in all Pentax autofocus SLR's when used with manual focus "A" series lenses and the camera set to AF. It was (and is) referred to as the "focus trap" feature.

I believe that you can get it to work with AF lenses and also non "A" type MF lenses by using vatious combinations of tape or aluminium foil over some of the lens contacts on the body, but I don't know the various combinations. I'm sure someone here can expand on this, otherwise brandx (Mad Ron) on DPR can.

The oddly named "trap focus" is a new feature on the K20D which is not the same thing at all. It's AF-S without the AF "focus and re-confirm" double check action that is the normal operation for the SAFOX system. In theory it should be faster, but is probably not so accurate. Some folk say it is similar to the Canon method of AF, I cannot comment on this.
Well, it is not the first time Pentax named things odd (*ist ... great camera, not so great name). It is strange that Pentax has not highlighted this new custom setting more in their press material, it could have cooled the AF upgrade militants down a bit. Or maybe Pentax fears that there will be so many out of focus shots with trap mode enabled so that they dont want to market it as an improvement.

/Mats