Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I saw a couple of D800 users during my recent holiday, each with large zoom lenses and a grip so I first thought they were using D3 or something. They all looked like affluent daddies taking snapshots of their kids
Well, you don't really know what these affluent daddies do for a living, right?

My wife also was lugging D3s around for a few weeks after we bought it she wanted to get used to the camera before taking it to paid assignments. And she also looked just like rich mum, taking snapshots of her kids

07-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about an M9 to chase kids around with? I'm not positive.. maybe one of you all can identify it, its definitely a Digital Leica product. He drove out of the parking lot in a Range Rove... I think that is the demographic you're speaking of.

I love all this speculation, its better than cable

Last edited by mattt; 01-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
07-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Were you manual focussing or is it just typical Pentax AF fail?
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
How about an M9 to chase kids around with? I'm not positive.. maybe one of you all can identify it, its definitely a Digital Leica product. He drove out of the parking lot in a Range Rove... I think that is the demographic you're speaking of. I love all this speculation, its better than cable
Hmm, shot with FA 50 1.4?

07-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Swarovski? A diamond-studded Minox, perhaps, or a blinged-up Hasselblad for the uber-rich? Pentax will have hard time getting column inches with a serious competitor like that around, even with an MX-sized FF camera.
They have a common stand for the Swarovski-decorated 654D2 of course! (remember the Swarovski K-m?)
07-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #171
Veteran Member

They have a common stand for the Swarovski-decorated 654D2 of course! (remember the Swarovski K-m?)
How about a Swarovski-decorated limited lacquer-painted edition?
07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Makes perfect sense. So Pentax will most likely not do this.

There is a new lens on the Q lens Roadmap plus the retail price of the Q has dropped. Makes me think there might be a Q2 in the future. Hopefully it will have a bigger sensor. Could a Sony 1" sensor be squeezed into the Q? It will then give the Nikon System 1 a run for its money.
I don't think so. Afaik the Q-lenses are designed for the small sensor. I'm also not sure if the market really needs another tiny Q .
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #173
Veteran Member

The market, for some reason, is a very tricky thing.

Market says, "we want very compact pocketable ILC", Pentax makes the Q. Market says "sensor is too small!"
Nikon makes slightly bigger sensor V1 and J1. Prices it at premium. Market says "for a pocketable, too expensive!"
Canon makes EOS-M, with APS-C sensor. Market says, "Sensor is good, but too big!"

Pleasing the market is a good thing, but nothing can truly satisfy everyone.

As far as I'd love the Q to have a bigger sensor in the future, I think it would be difficult. The SR mechanism creates that space constraint. So either Pentax enlarges the Q a little, or takes out the SR - only then can it accommodate larger sensors. And that , is provided that the Q lenses can take on bigger sensors too. If not, well too bad, we stick with 1/2.3" for future Qs.

07-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Market says, "we want very compact pocketable ILC", Pentax makes the Q. Market says "sensor is too small!"
That's not the market talking, that's a small subset of the market. People on online forums. And these people are special .

The Q has sold very well indeed. Much, much better than anticipated by above market subset crowd (so much for that).
And right now it's at a price that makes it even more interesting.
As for Pentax mirrorless, well, it seems like they're going the way of native PK without adapter. That's always going to be bulky.
07-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
As for Pentax mirrorless, well, it seems like they're going the way of native PK without adapter. That's always going to be bulky.
Well, it doesn't actually have to be. They could make a slimmer body with a collapsible mount, a bit like the old screw-mount Leica telescoping lenses, but with the collapsible bit permanently fixed to the body, and the electrical contacts still in place, of course.
07-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, it doesn't actually have to be. They could make a slimmer body with a collapsible mount, a bit like the old screw-mount Leica telescoping lenses, but with the collapsible bit permanently fixed to the body, and the electrical contacts still in place, of course.
If they can pull that off in a stable, long lasting and not overly expensive way, sure!
I'm just not so sure about the implications.
You'd need a different sort of lens that works for the flange distance. They'd make sense only for wide angles. If you extend these lenses to PK-flange-distance, they'd be for close up and macro. Additionally, you still have the new lenses that are built inwards and which wouldn't focus at all if retracted.
That could be quite the mess especially for new people.
07-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #177
Banned

Everyone talks about Pentax, but about Ricoh's own cameras?
For example, Ricoh GR Digital IV, if updated into a model with an APS-C sensor from the K-01 or K-30, and equipped with a 28mm or 35 mm lens (or 31mm oddity :-), can become a Leica X2 / Fuji X100 killer. Well, I hate using that word, but if properly priced, indeed, that little one could be an outstanding everyday camera that surpasses both direct competitors (although the viewfinder in Fuji X100 is a marvel of engineering).

I don't doubt for a second that a camera of such kind is already in their minds. And perhaps is one of the possible reasons for the 'argument' inside Pentax Ricoh about the nomenclature of the non-sytem cameras (a speculation, but nonetheless). A high profile shooter like that is the logical extension of the Ricoh's GR line, but its advanced features, performance and appeal are something Pentax's name would benefit from, and sell better too.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Uluru; 07-27-2012 at 03:14 AM.
07-27-2012, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #178

Oh PLEEEASE!!!!

My only wish is, IF we do get a FF camera, please please make it a proper DSLR and NOT one of these lens systems that have no view finder.....it would be a real big FAIL...
07-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Everyone talks about Pentax, but about Ricoh's own cameras?
For example, Ricoh GR Digital IV, if updated into a model with an APS-C sensor from the K-01 or K-30, and equipped with a 28mm or 35 mm lens (or 31mm oddity :-), can become a Leica X2 / Fuji X100 killer. Well, I hate using that word, but if properly priced, indeed, that little one could be an outstanding everyday camera that surpasses both direct competitors (although the viewfinder in Fuji X100 is a marvel of engineering).

I don't doubt for a second that a camera of such kind is already in their minds. And perhaps is one of the possible reasons for the 'argument' inside Pentax Ricoh about the nomenclature of the non-sytem cameras (a speculation, but nonetheless). A high profile shooter like that is the logical extension of the Ricoh's GR line, but its advanced features, performance and appeal are something Pentax's name would benefit from, and sell better too.

Any thoughts?
Splendid idea and even with the 24 megapixel full frame sensor this would make a great third camera (next to dsrl and mirrorless) for everyone. I vote for the 31mm version for aps-c then:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/153418-pentax-shou...mera-poll.html
07-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a couple of D800 users during my recent holiday, each with large zoom lenses and a grip so I first thought they were using D3 or something. They all looked like affluent daddies taking snapshots of their kids
Originally posted by rawr I'd be interested one day to see the breakdown of D800 sales by user type. I suspect that affluent amateurs are buying more D800's than professional photojournalists, wedding photographers etc.
My daughter recently graduated from a fairly elite (certainly expensive) University - courtesy of an endowed, named scholarship fund - during which ceremonial weekend the name of each graduate was read aloud as he or she walked actross a stage and was presented a certificate in a faux-leather jacket. There was a small "shooting stand" set up to one side of the basketball arena for proud parents to take personal photos quite near to where my wife and I were seated - including docents who ushered these parents on and off the stand in a steady stream as all the little Suzies and Sidneys did their begowned struts-and-smiles.

I was well and truly shocked at the parade of honking big dSLRs levering white zooms sporting 77mm filter rings that mounted those three steps, one after another, in alphabetical order, popping their on-board flashes - FLASH for the Dean .... FLASH for the Chancellor .... FLASH for little Susie or Sidney as they posed before the parents.

My little K-01 and DA55~300 were duly humbled and chastened by the empowered 0.01%'ers of the Eastern Seaboard.

OBTW - the two pros in black suits and white shirts clicked thrice per graduate, used wireless triggers to flash stands 1700 times 3x and stood on a spot for 162 minutes. Their lenses were black.