Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Wouldn't ?
yep..

08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #242
Veteran Member

In the 'old days' film was the sensor and every FF camera had the same sensor options available. People bought cameras based on system needs (and preferences) and, as such, I don't see any reason why a 'budget' DSLR should have an inferior sensor to a top of the line model. It can only be features and options that make the difference in such an environment. If every pentax DSLR had the same high quality output then the brand would certainly gain respect IMO. Due to the increasing image quality offered by more compact P&S cameras, it may well be the start of a system based approach (above and beyond just lenses) for Pentax.
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #243
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
In the 'old days' film was the sensor and every FF camera had the same sensor options available. People bought cameras based on system needs (and preferences) and, as such, I don't see any reason why a 'budget' DSLR should have an inferior sensor to a top of the line model. It can only be features and options that make the difference in such an environment. If every pentax DSLR had the same high quality output then the brand would certainly gain respect IMO. Due to the increasing image quality offered by more compact P&S cameras, it may well be the start of a system based approach (above and beyond just lenses) for Pentax.
That would be interesting If they made a K-300 with the K-30 sensor but without the WR, the focus peaking, or the extra dial.. not sure what else they could cut from it.. but with just these things cut I'm not sure it would make for many upgrade sales..

WR body requires WR lenses.. so unless one plans on spending to buy them, thats a large additional cost for a feature that can't be used otherwise.

focus peaking and the extra dial are nice but not nice enough for me (joe hobby photographer) to move from K-300 to K-30. And If I'm looking in K-300 price range, I probably would not be near K-3 territory until EOL (such as with the K-5 currently)

hmm.. I think the K-5ii (should there be one) and the K-3 need something more significant.

built-in GPS, dual card slots, a huge memory buffer, and perhaps, built-in wifi support would be something else.. or at least something significant along those lines..

Not just 'oh this one is the same as this one but with an extra dial, some focus peaking thingy, oh and it costs 200 more'

Perhaps I underestimate the camera market though..
08-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A bigger buffer & dual card slots are two things alot of people would be happy about to be added to the K5 replacement, I know I would.

08-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
We'd better getS a move on..= we HAd
Sam's camera = Sam HIs camera.
James' camera = James HIs camera
(I know those two sound weird but that's the missing bit. It goes back to old english. The anomalie is that if it were a girl's name it still applies. Because females could not possess items, their husbands did (way back in history)) British people correct me if you know better.
AFAIK this is not correct. English used to have a real genitive case ending in -es, like in modern German or the "s-genitive" in modern Norwegian. It's the same phenomenon, that's why we get confused and start copying your silly apostrophes!
08-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #246
Veteran Member

Reminds me of a quote from Ali G - Indahouse

<Ali G> : Iz simple! Two words! "Keep it Real !! "
<Suit> : That's three words
<Ali G>: Don't be a spannah! "it" ain't a real word. It's short for "innit", innit?!
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #247
Veteran Member

If Pentax really is going to announce a FF camera at Photokina shouldn't we expect to get a few actual rumours/leaks coming along shortly? (or even by now)

I suppose that we might not if they are just going to show a mock-up and announce availability for a future date but even so.... It's quite likely that by the end of Photokina we will have at least one FF Sony SLT, the Nikon D600 and possibly an entry level FF Canon.

I appreciate that Pentax is risk averse (despite what the K-01 and Q indicate) but they're going to be late the FF party like they were with the *ist D and APS-C.

08-07-2012, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #248
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If Pentax really is going to announce a FF camera at Photokina shouldn't we expect to get a few actual rumours/leaks coming along shortly? (or even by now)

I suppose that we might not if they are just going to show a mock-up and announce availability for a future date but even so.... It's quite likely that by the end of Photokina we will have at least one FF Sony SLT, the Nikon D600 and possibly an entry level FF Canon.

I appreciate that Pentax is risk averse (despite what the K-01 and Q indicate) but they're going to be late the FF party like they were with the *ist D and APS-C.
Not if they keep things close to them.
08-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't think the advantages of Pentax being leak free are that great at this point.

Most people are already holding off buying a K-5 because it's at the end of it's life cycle. What they may well be doing though is looking at other brands that have a more clearly defined product paths and roadmaps. Pentax demonstrating it's future strategy through controlled leaking may at least give these people a little more confidence to hold on. I think this is why Ricoh decided to reincarnate the lens roadmap.

This is one of the reasons why I think Pentax should announce a FF at Photokina even if they aren't ready to release it until spring 2013. The market for FF is very small but may expand a little with the release of the fabled $1800 entry level models from Sony, Nikon and maybe Canon. This is probably going to happen at Photokina. If Pentax want to enter the FF market they should do so now to get in with this new wave. Once these models are established they may as well give up FF if they aren't part of it. IMO.
08-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They don't. It's just hard to see the leaks amidst all the unsubstantial rumours.
08-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #251
Veteran Member

It is now only 42 days to photokina but so far there are no credible rumours on the upcoming K-3. I am beginning to wonder.........is K-3 really coming?
08-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
It is now only 42 days to photokina but so far there are no credible rumours on the upcoming K-3. I am beginning to wonder.........is K-3 really coming?
real rumours won't sart until the end of September, only way they are earlier is if the planned announcement is just before Photokina to try and trump other brands (and Pentax has no history of this kind of thinking)
08-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #253
Veteran Member

I am sure you are right there. I am getting anxious to see what K-3 is though
08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Most people are already holding off buying a K-5 because it's at the end of it's life cycle.
Yup. I'm one of those - except that I'm holding off buying because I'm still checking if the improvement the K-3/K-5 MkII will offer will be substantial enough. There will still be stocks of K-5's in local stores here so I'm not afraid to wait a few more months...
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting for Photokina. I've been holding off purchasing any new lens since the pricing policy changes. I'm in the market for the K-5 replacement and waiting patiently to see where Pentax will be heading. If it's not where I want to go, I have the other 2 brands to help me with that decision.

The other 2 brands seems to be hinting at D600, D400, 7D Mk II, 6D, etc.

Luckly, I've been playin with strobes to help pass the time.