Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nex FF is more likely around $2000 though since the nex 7 is 12-1300 depending on the dealer
Ah, I didn't know that. I still remember the flimsy NEX5 that I briefly owned and didn't think anyone would ever dare to ask more for that kind of 'quality'. But off course the sensor will cost something.

That's not really a light in the darkness for Pentax though, because in what niche should they jump now then? I don't see any FF market for them left. Dirt cheap 12 MP FF DSLR then?

08-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #362
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 FF mirrorless with EVF - bigger than any mirrorless, but FF and mirrorless.... How do you feel....???
08-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #363
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Please be a full frame, please be a full frame

But most likely it wont be
I hope the next Pentax DSLR isn't full frame, because personally I don't want to have to replace all my APS-C lenses. If it's FF, then I'll have to decide whether to buy the K5 or K30.
08-17-2012, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-3 FF mirrorless with EVF - bigger than any mirrorless, but FF and mirrorless.... How do you feel....???
I would still buy it, assuming it wasn't a fisher-price version.

08-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ah, I didn't know that. I still remember the flimsy NEX5 that I briefly owned and didn't think anyone would ever dare to ask more for that kind of 'quality'. But off course the sensor will cost something.

That's not really a light in the darkness for Pentax though, because in what niche should they jump now then? I don't see any FF market for them left. Dirt cheap 12 MP FF DSLR then?
the nex 7 isn't as flimsy as the old nex 5 Clavius (If it wasn't so damn thin I would actually be seriously tempted. the interface is better with the EVF placed like an RF VF, it's definitely one of the more tempting MILCs. Slap a 24mp ff sensor in it and get it as low as $1500 and it would be insanely tempting I shoot 80-90% MF lenses so the interface has huge advantage but i still dislike EVF preferring instead a nice big OVF)
08-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I hope the next Pentax DSLR isn't full frame, because personally I don't want to have to replace all my APS-C lenses. If it's FF, then I'll have to decide whether to buy the K5 or K30.
I think the *next* DSLR probably will still be APS-C - right now the only real* DSLR that Pentax makes is the K-30. I think we're debating the one after that.

*sub $8k
08-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe Pentax needs to look at a full frame K-01 sequel? Seriously, that would be about as small as you could make a full frame camera.

I don't even know what percentage of Sony Nex lenses will cover a full frame circle. Probably most wouldn't. It certainly will really emphasize the two liter bottle on a pack of cards appearance to the Nex series of cameras.

08-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Seriously, that would be about as small as you could make a full frame camera.
Without changing the mount, sure.
08-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Why? Is there something wrong with your K-7? If their next camera is a FF I'd be surprised if it didn't allow in-body crop options for DA lenses so I wouldn't worry too much.
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #370
Veteran Member

the nex 7 isn't as flimsy as the old nex 5 Clavius (If it wasn't so damn thin I would actually be seriously tempted. the interface is better with the EVF placed like an RF VF, it's definitely one of the more tempting MILCs. Slap a 24mp ff sensor in it and get it as low as $1500 and it would be insanely tempting I shoot 80-90% MF lenses so the interface has huge advantage but i still dislike EVF preferring instead a nice big OVF)
Same here, I prefer OVF for it's speed and because I like to shoot at night. But the worst thing is the small size of those milcs. I couldn't operate the NEX5. And my hands aren't even THAT big.

I could live with an EVF if that camera had a decently sized body. Like the K5/7 body, with 24mp or even 12mp FF sensor and an EVF. I would buy either of those. I would just have to keep my K5 around for shooting moving subjects.
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #371
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax needs to look at a full frame K-01 sequel? Seriously, that would be about as small as you could make a full frame camera.

I don't even know what percentage of Sony Nex lenses will cover a full frame circle. Probably most wouldn't. It certainly will really emphasize the two liter bottle on a pack of cards appearance to the Nex series of cameras.
Given how small the m lenses for leica are there is no reason they can't make FF lenses for a Nex Ff that are compact. zooms are another story though, they don't seem to be able to make a compact zoom for it even in apsc
08-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #372
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Why? Is there something wrong with your K-7? If their next camera is a FF I'd be surprised if it didn't allow in-body crop options for DA lenses so I wouldn't worry too much.
Actually yes, there is something wrong with my K7. It seems to have focussing issues and poor high ISO performance. My K200 focusses consistently more accurately, but slower and with a slower shutter. On the other hand there's a bunch of features on the K7 which are missing from the K200. I'll be interested to see what Pentax release as the successor for the K5, because it's hard to see what significant changes they would make. I can't see Pentax releasing a FF DSLR, but we'll all need to wait and see, I guess.
08-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #373
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think the *next* DSLR probably will still be APS-C - right now the only real* DSLR that Pentax makes is the K-30. I think we're debating the one after that.
Sure, we're looking for a successor to the K5. I think it will be APS-C also.
08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given how small the m lenses for leica are there is no reason they can't make FF lenses for a Nex Ff that are compact. zooms are another story though, they don't seem to be able to make a compact zoom for it even in apsc
Yes, but zooms are kind of handy to have. This seems to be the area where four thirds has a distinct advantage.

Anyway, it does seem like (considering that the 40 XS is supposed to be full frame compatible) a K-02 with a full frame sensor could be pretty small in size.
08-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Pentax needs to look at a full frame K-01 sequel?

People interested in full frame aren't going to want to be limited to a Live View camera. You just flunked marketing 101.

Honestly, what would be handy would be a K-01 with a Q sensor (Exmor-R). Before you laugh: maybe you should take another look at the Q and what a smaller sensor does for you.
With a 5.5x crop factor, it gives you super-telephoto (cheaply) on the one end (great for birding/wildlife, people shooting their kids in sports, etc.) and on the other end a small sensor gives you tremendous DOF. When does that come in handy? When you shoot macro. Instead of getting a slice of the bug in focus (with a full frame) you get the entire bug in focus (for example). And the 12.1 megapixel Exmor-R puts more pixels in the image than a K-5 cropped to the equiv. degree (when comparing the same lenses). The DFA 100mm macro would sell like hotcakes on such a camera because it would give you superb high DOF macro and a 550mm telephoto (equiv. field of view) on the Q-sized sensor.

You can do this with the Q now (using adapters) but you lose all the automatic and autofocus stuff. Not so if you put the Q sensor in the K-01.

The Q is the best camera (highest technology) combined with the worst marketing (look! It's small!) in the world. Read the OWNER reviews and you'll see the word "joy" and "fun" more than any other camera you'll find. Once people get past the size of the sensor, and take a look it is impressive image quality with RAW capability and all the controls you would get on a DSLR, they realize that this isn't a camera to replace their DSLR but it is a tool that can *extend what they can do photographically* just like a new focal length lens (or other accessory does). Especially with the price of the Q coming down... I think it deserves another look by a lot of Pentax shooters (actually ANY shooter because with the proper adapter you can put just about any lens on the front of it... OM, m42, Nikon, Canon FD...)

People with a K-5 will think nothing of spending $500-600 for a lens. Think of the Q as another accessory like a lens (rather than a standalone replacement for your DSLR) that you can actually get into places a DSLR kit won't go (think museums/concerts/overnight-backpacking/etc) and you'll want one also. Imagine the Q in a K-01 form factor that can use all the DA/FA/DFA lenses (plus legacy glass) only with a 5.5x crop factor.

(I just bought a used 01 8.5mm f1.9 prime Q kit [with c-mount and k-mount adapters and an extra battery] yesterday and will have it in my hot little hands on Monday. I never seriously looked a what the Q could do because I never thought about it past the "sensor is small - has to be crap" thought. Once I did look at it, I was amazed. It extends my capabilities at the macro and super-telephoto ends with the lenses I have now.) I spent less than $400 shipped. A returned 01 Kit (next to new) was on Amazon Warehouse Deals this past week for $335. At these prices, the Q is a no-brainer and fully half what it originally sold for. The Q deserves another look (or maybe, if you were prejudiced like me, a good first look).

Last edited by cheekygeek; 08-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.