Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

If they invented a "Steinway" with a virtual keyboard, you reckon anybody half serous into piano playing would buy such a thing ? (You know what I am trying to say, don't you)
Well, no because it would be a Synth and not a Piano and thus no Pianist would be interested. And it would also be called a Nord Lead, a Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 etc... ..all wonderful pieces of tech which have enriched our musical experience over the past 30 years (hardly a Steinway in sight). Art and Music can be made by hitting things with sticks anyway (just ask a drummer) so what's your point? Snob appeal and preconceived notions have nothing to do with good art and are not conducive to creativity. No great artist was ever a connoisseur or someone's doughnut boy.

08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #392
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well, no because it would be a Synth and not a Piano and thus no Pianist would be interested. And it would also be called a Nord Lead, a Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 etc... ..all wonderful pieces of tech which have enriched our musical experience over the past 30 years (hardly a Steinway in sight). Art and Music can be made by hitting things with sticks anyway (just ask a drummer) so what's your point? Snob appeal and preconceived notions have nothing to do with good art and are not conducive to creativity. No great artist was ever a connoisseur or someone's doughnut boy.
Strewth bossa, what's this all about

Did you feel personally attacked ? Or did you feel baited ? My analogy wasn't even addressed to you.
How can a harmless analogy fire up in you such passion so you feel motivated to give me a lesson in music, art and instruments and how to make music by hitting things with sticks.
But I am the richer for it now.

Greetings
08-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #393
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
32 days to go, and still not a single leak or credible rumor.
Try: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/196133-my-li...rediction.html

Ben wouldn't mess about with fourth-hand rumors. He may not have every detail right (although I'd bet he does) but he's certainly a credible source. If he's a beta tester, he wouldn't offer anything to us without permission of Pentax. If not, he still has a close relationship with them. Watch that space ......
08-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Ben wouldn't mess about with fourth-hand rumors. He may not have every detail right (although I'd bet he does) but he's certainly a credible source. If he's a beta tester, he wouldn't offer anything to us without permission of Pentax. If not, he still has a close relationship with them. Watch that space ......
You guys wouldn't believe a leak anyway, since there's been so much hoaxes in the past, so why bother .
What Pentax needs is a platform with a good track record of leaks, like CanonRumors is for Canon.

08-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nope AFAIK. A aperture-ringless lens will stay wide open on an old K-mount but it will close to smaller aperture when shooting i.e. f/22 or f/32.
Never tried myself but this is what I read many times. It is logical as well since the A position has always been the smalest aperture as well (f/22 or f/32 most of the times).
Yes thats exactly what I said, I juste explained stop down metering. And I'm not talking about an aperture ringless lens. You use stop down metering with old K-Mounts because they stay wide open all the time due to the little aperture switch on the bottom so you dont get a proper reading, it's reading wide open but when you shoot it'll stop down to the chosen aperture when you fire the shutter, so you gotta stop down meter to get a correct exposure, this is only on pre PKA lenses, any adapted lenses will meter just fine, when using a M42 lens you have an adapter to k-mount which allows free movement of the aperture which also gives full metering. Hence the reason why you have to stop down meter with old K-Mount lenses as there is no A mode... I know this because old manual lenses are all I use on the K-01 and I now make sure I avoid all pre PKA lenses, but M42 meter just fine so I'm good in that department too...
08-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #396
Veteran Member

Strewth bossa, what's this all about

Did you feel personally attacked ? Or did you feel baited ? My analogy wasn't even addressed to you.
How can a harmless analogy fire up in you such passion so you feel motivated to give me a lesson in music, art and instruments and how to make music by hitting things with sticks.
But I am the richer for it now.

Greetings
Sorry mate.. too many beers here last night.
08-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #397
Pentaxian

An FF announcement in 2012 is not realistic.
I fully expect Pentax to present an FF DSLR but 2012 and even most of 2013 is too early, sadly.
08-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #398
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I fully expect Pentax to present an FF DSLR but 2012 and even most of 2013 is too early, sadly.
If Ricoh has an-even-reasonbly-decent-view of the market they would've greenlighted FF in March at the latest. The update cycle is 1.5 years on the APS-C; but of course we don't know how long the entire development cycle is, and what might've been kicked off under Hoya/early Ricoh.

08-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #399
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

Everything you say is pretty right, however to be fully operational in all those places you mention above you do need a proper viewfinder, one you can actually put your eyeballs up against. Try to operate the K-01 in a darkened concert/theater room with its bright screen, you will be accused, abused, shouted down and be made clear in no uncertain words to turn the thing off.

Any, even half serious, camera deserves a proper VF. I speak only for myself, and I do recognise I am perhaps a bit old-fashioned, but this photographer would never buy a cam without a viewfinder.

If they invented a "Steinway" with a virtual keyboard, you reckon anybody half serous into piano playing would buy such a thing ? (You know what I am trying to say, don't you)

Greetings
I plan on getting a 3x HoodLoupe (and possibly the magnifying eyecup) for use with my Q that will address virtually all of the issues you mention.
08-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #400
Site Supporter

Hi
Yea sure, I have not been oblivious to this option. Only thing is, it adds bulk, inconvenience and cost to the device. (The extra purchase could have gone to Pentax with clever planning). Why not designing the K-01 with an optical (with parallax adjustment) or EVF as an optional add on ? If you want it you buy it if you don't you don't. Extra sales, extra income. Now the extra income goes to HoodLoop.

I ask myself why a traditional camera maker would design a camera like the K-01 the way they did. Surely they must have known how important a VF is. Or else, perhaps in their spare time some of the designers only use point and shoot cams and don't quite appreciate or understand how important a proper VF is. Who knows.

Anyway, enough of this, what's done is done.

Greetings
08-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #401
Veteran Member

Hi
Yea sure, I have not been oblivious to this option. Only thing is, it adds bulk, inconvenience and cost to the device. (The extra purchase could have gone to Pentax with clever planning). Why not designing the K-01 with an optical (with parallax adjustment) or EVF as an optional add on ? If you want it you buy it if you don't you don't. Extra sales, extra income. Now the extra income goes to HoodLoop.

I ask myself why a traditional camera maker would design a camera like the K-01 the way they did. Surely they must have known how important a VF is. Or else, perhaps in their spare time some of the designers only use point and shoot cams and don't quite appreciate or understand how important a proper VF is. Who knows.

Anyway, enough of this, what's done is done.

Greetings
The business course I did ages ago was quite adamant that a cheap base product was how you net buyers through the door and that your real profit comes from the extras you sell. Not offering an EVF add-on for the K-01 was clearly a mistake if you believe that concept.
08-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #402
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The business course I did ages ago was quite adamant that a cheap base product was how you net buyers through the door and that your real profit comes from the extras you sell. Not offering an EVF add-on for the K-01 was clearly a mistake if you believe that concept.
Spot on, this ought to have been understood by Pentax also. Little do we know what their motivation may have been, perhaps lack of manufacturing capacity prevented them from going the extra step. However there are always third party suppliers who could have stepped into the breach. As I said, who knows.

Greetings

Edit: Enter Epson printers and their ink strategy.
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #403
Veteran Member

A limited edition LX-LTD (FF) and 3 new D-FA LTD primes (reworked 31, 43 & 77) would walk out the door however. Pentax seem to like limited editions so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like this.
08-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
and what might've been kicked off under Hoya/early Ricoh.
Under Hoya: nothing.

They've stopped all but the most neccessary projects, Pentax's engineers did some development on their own, though.
08-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #405

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
But, I'm still going to dream for one!

And I am not really sure how you have determined that 2013 is unrealistic.
Just curious if you have some inside track to their planning department.

respectfully,