Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Under Hoya: nothing.
That seems to be the speculation. Of course that doesn't make a ton of business sense, either; and obviously the k-30 (admittedly a minor change from the K-5) and the K-01 (admittedly not my cup of tea) were under development when Hoya was shopping Pentax around.

08-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #407

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I ask myself why a traditional camera maker would design a camera like the K-01 the way they did. Surely they must have known how important a VF is. Or else, perhaps in their spare time some of the designers only use point and shoot cams and don't quite appreciate or understand how important a proper VF is. Who knows.
My theory is that they are using Q and K-01 to dip their toes in the mirrorless market without cannibalising sales from their SLRs. They're experiments. They knew they'd only appeal to people who don't use viewfinders (ie, nobody here), and they were fine with that. They are keeping their powder dry.
08-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I ask myself why a traditional camera maker would design a camera like the K-01 the way they did. Surely they must have known how important a VF is. Or else, perhaps in their spare time some of the designers only use point and shoot cams and don't quite appreciate or understand how important a proper VF is. Who knows.
I think they were given the task of designing a viewfinder-less camera, and as they only use 'real' cameras themselves, they really weren't up to the challenge.

'What design would people who don't want a viewfinder want?'
'I dunno, maybe a fisher-price version?'
08-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by karma13612 Quote
Just curious if you have some inside track to their planning department.
I don't have an inside track to their planning department.

Pentax does not have the lenses to go with an FF camera. The lenses take time to develop and produce. Launching the camera without the respective money making lenses wouldn't be wise.

Also, if you believe the rumours, the K-5 successor will be followed by another APS-C flagship, resulting in four DSLRs being offered. There will be all hands on deck producing these cameras and unlikely any capacity for yet another FF model.

Finally, for an FF camera to happen Pentax needs access to an affordable FF sensor. This may be another hurdle that will take a bit more time to take.

08-20-2012, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #410
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey! I've got an idea. Why don't we all just wait?
08-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax does not have the lenses to go with an FF camera. The lenses take time to develop and produce. Launching the camera without the respective money making lenses wouldn't be wise.

Also, if you believe the rumours, the K-5 successor will be followed by another APS-C flagship, resulting in four DSLRs being offered. There will be all hands on deck producing these cameras and unlikely any capacity for yet another FF model.

Finally, for an FF camera to happen Pentax needs access to an affordable FF sensor. This may be another hurdle that will take a bit more time to take.
As it happens, I don't think Pentax will release a 35mm sensor DSLR at Photokina, either, although they may flag their intentions there. If they do so, I just hope it doesn't take the same time the 645D took to hit the market.

However, as others have said before, we wouldn't know what suitable lenses might be in production, as they're hardly likely to tell us about them before the body is announced, so it's not really evidence in support of there being no FF body imminent.

Waiting to see what happens is good advice, too, but unlikely to be taken up here!
08-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I just hope it doesn't take the same time the 645D took to hit the market.
A digital MF-camera is a bit more complex to develop than FF, so I guess that won't happen .

08-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #413
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
My theory is that they are using Q and K-01 to dip their toes in the mirrorless market without cannibalising sales from their SLRs. They're experiments. They knew they'd only appeal to people who don't use viewfinders (ie, nobody here),
My third camera also had no real viewfinder; a (4th generation) Hasselblad 903 swc.

I was so impressed I bought a second one which is still factory sealed in box - untouched. I've been offered 50k++ for it. Real photographer really forget what it is like to adapt to items such as this; the ability to go full manual without even the need for a meter. No other camera operates like it or even sounds like it. I wouldn't trade it for a Porche GT
08-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #414
Veteran Member

I don't have an inside track to their planning department.

Pentax does not have the lenses to go with an FF camera.
It's pretty easy to imagine that the 12-24ish, 24-75ish, and 100-300ish lenses on the roadmap are FF. Perhaps optimistic, true. But there's a couple dozen FF lenses out *now*, both Pentax and Sigma/Tamron. I agree that the 24-75ish lens is required when FF is launched, but there's far more lenses for FF Pentax currently in production than I've ever seen for any other 'new' mount at launch.
08-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #415
Veteran Member

I just hope they come out with a K-5 replacement that can equal the canon EOS 5D Mark III. focus speed and accuracy...
08-20-2012, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I just hope they come out with a K-5 replacement that can equal the canon EOS 5D Mark III. focus speed and accuracy...
I'd be happy if it could match the Mark ii.

Of course with the specs that I'm imagining (K-5 + 24.3 MP Nex 7 sensor + better AF), I'm going to sit this one out. I really could use better AF sometimes but it isn't worth $1500 to me if the sensor isn't appreciably better.
08-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #417
Veteran Member

Yep I agree The wife is letting me get a new camera and she gets my K-5 but if they are using that sensor I'm going to pass and get something else.
08-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #418
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I don't understand what's so hot about the 5d Mk III. It costs more than the D800 (over here at least) and has significantly worse low ISO DR than the K-5. Add to that: Some of the lenses that are really different from what you can get for the K-5 (i.e. those where FF really matters) are crazy expensive (e.g. the 14mm f/2.8 L II).
08-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #419
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
If Sony came out with a FF NEX it would be high on my list of cameras to consider.

My NEX-5N uses stop down metering for all its lenses. Including my Pentax-M lenses.

The result of this is that the aperture is effectively coupled to the metering system.

Sure the K-01 meters off the sensor as does the Sony, but I understand you need to "hit the green button"

I was really surprised at how well the NEX-5N functions. With M lenses it handles more like my MX then any Pentax DSLR I have owned.
I've been pointing this out for a while now. When using the EVF and an adapter, my XPro basically IS a digital ME Super. Yet Pentax couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't make this camera. FF (and I'm not a FF disciple, but it seems obvious) and this would be a big deal.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I expect we are going to see sub $2000 FF cameras from Sony, Nikon, and Canon well before we see a FF camera from Pentax.

I would rather use an EVF on a NEX-7 then get the inconsistent metering from using Pentax-M lenses on a Pentax DSLR.

So if Sony releases a FF NEX, and Pentax fails to announce a FF DSLR, why would I not buy the Sony?
Because then you'd miss out on all the festive colors, and wacky form factors.
08-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #420
Veteran Member

Launching the camera without the respective money making lenses wouldn't be wise.
Sony did that with their NEX cameras and the E-mount. Same with the Fuji and the X-mount. I don't think it's a very good strategy from a customer satisfaction point of view. But unfortunately it does seem to be the new approach.
In fact Thom Hogan mentioned that there are 7 NEX cameras now, with 7 E-mount lenses, lol.

Seven Lenses for Seven Cameras | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

"Sony needs to seriously get off their butts and produce a wider, better lens selection on E mount."