Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen lots of pro's in the field working with APS-C cameras, their works get published all the time for newspapers and magazines as well as included in press releases. The only FF I've seen is from an retired pro wielding a 5D MkII who always seems to be on vacation and uses it and the 24-70 f2.8L for family snapshots. And perhaps a couple who're somewhat big names in the local show business industry here in my place.

The rest I've seen in the production studios use digital backs from Phase One or MFs from Leaf, and one slightly popular landscape shooter with his 645D. This helped me tone down the "need" for FF - I'll get one when I can afford one. But as of now, I'll buy the best Pentax APS-C and earn with it, while having fun.

08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #542
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think Pentax want new tech for FF. Not old tech. They tried to improve new tech with FF. Not like asa Nikon D800 or others. That's their creative.
08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #543
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I have the latest roadmap and the lens is a 16-85. It is color coded as an APS lens (which could be fake to disorient us but that is too far fetched for me). It is no way this is an FF lens and Pentax marketing boss have confirmed it as the replacement for the DA* 16-50/2.8.
That's the lens I am talking about Pål. You can choose to ignore it if you like, if you look at the picture closely you will notice the bar indicating the prospective focal range becomes fuzzy at the ends, and the points at which the fuzziness starts are 24mm and 75mm. There is a reason for that; it indicates to me that it will be *at least* 24-75, but may extend a bit beyond that range. Expecting a reasonably compact, affordable, high quality, fast zoom with a 16-85 range is pretty unrealistic.

And anyway, a 24-75/2.8 lens *is* a replacement for the DA*16-50 *if* it goes on a full frame camera. Exactly the same angle of view at each end. Just sayin'
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #544
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's the way I see it too Sandy. Plus, the whole DA designation being strictly for an APS-C image circle is practically out the window at this point with so many exceptions. Can't say I'm crazy about the lack of a clear naming convention for the lenses but I guess it is what it is. I think reissuing lenses under a new easy to understand DFA/DA naming convention, with even just minor tweaks, would be preferable to the seemingly haphazard names used at present. But hey, whatcha gonna do?

08-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #545
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And anyway, a 24-75/2.8 lens *is* a replacement for the DA*16-50 *if* it goes on a full frame camera. Exactly the same angle of view at each end. Just sayin'
Details, details.

A 16-85 f/2.8...
08-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Can't say I'm crazy about the lack of a clear naming convention for the lenses but I guess it is what it is. I think reissuing lenses under a new easy to understand DFA/DA naming convention, with even just minor tweaks, would be preferable to the seemingly haphazard names used at present. But hey, whatcha gonna do?
Makes me think, would it be very hard for Pentax to release the FA* lenses as DFA* ones with new coatings for digital? Another thing am not sure of, are only DA* lenses weathersealed among the * line (e.g. FA*, F* and A* = non-WR?)?
08-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #547
Pentaxian

I have the latest roadmap .....
Hi Pål Jensen,
Have you ever considered the multi-quote feature?
I just saw a page in t his thread that was mostly(entirely) made-up of your comments/responses.
08-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #548
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Makes me think, would it be very hard for Pentax to release the FA* lenses as DFA* ones with new coatings for digital? Another thing am not sure of, are only DA* lenses weathersealed among the * line (e.g. FA*, F* and A* = non-WR?)?
A* weren't weathersealed as I recall.

08-28-2012, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #549
Site Supporter

That's the lens I am talking about Pål. You can choose to ignore it if you like, if you look at the picture closely you will notice the bar indicating the prospective focal range becomes fuzzy at the ends, and the points at which the fuzziness starts are 24mm and 75mm. There is a reason for that; it indicates to me that it will be *at least* 24-75, but may extend a bit beyond that range.
Sure, and we can apply the same "fuzzy" logic to the other lenses on the roadmap. Judging by the same criteria, that "DA High Magnification Zoom" is obviously not an ~18-200mm superzoom, but a ~40-90mm... something (what would you even call that?). Makes perfect sense.

In that interview at CP+, the Pentax spokesman said straight to the camera that there is stuff under development that is not shown on the roadmap, and said it directly as a matter of course, no weasel words. If Pentax is secretly developing FF lenses (a distinct possibility), they are simply not on the roadmap. This is vastly more probable than assuming the marketing people made the bars clearly extend well beyond the 20 and 80mm lines as a red herring.

Last edited by Cannikin; 08-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.
08-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #550
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Makes me think, would it be very hard for Pentax to release the FA* lenses as DFA* ones with new coatings for digital?
I would assume it wouldn't be THAT difficult at all. They still have all the designs. And they still have the experience in house too.

Moreover, I think lots of Pentaxians would see re-issued lenses as a plus over entirely new ones. A DFA 43 ltd WR will have the advantage of the FA43's reputation.
08-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #551
Veteran Member

No, it's not, the DOF is different. Crop factor also applies to f-stops.

Anyway, if the 24mp Pentax is APS and come without the anti-aliasing filter it says a lot about the future (or lack thereof) of Pentax FF. [...]. I can't see Pentax having an upper level APS, an entry level FF (whatever that is) and a cropped 645 camera in the line-up without competing with themselves. Time will tell...
No it doesn't. It's just a tweaked APS-C model. Like I said, a crop factor has advantages. Go shoot birds with a Q and you'll find out.

Pentax could as well release one to two FF bodies in the next years and then suddenly have a more complete range of bodies than Canon/Nikon .
08-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hi Pål Jensen,
Have you ever considered the multi-quote feature?
Never!
08-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
No, it's not, the DOF is different. Crop factor also applies to f-stops.

No it doesn't. It's just a tweaked APS-C model. Like I said, a crop factor has advantages. Go shoot birds with a Q and you'll find out.

Pentax could as well release one to two FF bodies in the next years and then suddenly have a more complete range of bodies than Canon/Nikon .

Possibly, but how are to going to suceed with such an approach with a markedshare around 5%? Pentax problem isn't that they don't have great products; their problem is how to sell them; distibution, marketing. Q, APS, FF, 645 and associated lenses (particularly a combination of high-end APS glass + high- and low-end FF glass is particularly challenging) must be a marketing nightmare as all these products except for the 645 needs volume to be viable.
If Pentax APS (24mp), FF (24mp) and 645 (40mp) gets too close to one another many Pentax users will have a hard time deciding which one to buy (at least I would). I don't think Pentax have the user base to have several different high-end cameras, not to mention lenses.

It will be interesting to see whether the 24mp is FF or APS. I do think that this is very telling for Pentax K-mount future. Photokina this year will be very important for Pentax.
The price of that 24mp Sony FF sensor is also very interesting and probably decides how viable a Pentax FF camera is at present. Nothing from the A99 rumored specs list suggest an obvious low price however...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-29-2012 at 04:57 AM.
08-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #554
Veteran Member

If Pentax APS (24mp), FF (24mp) and 645 (40mp) gets too close to one another many Pentax users will have a hard time deciding which one to buy. I don't think Pentax have the user base to have several different high-end cameras.
Are you suggesting that FF has no advantages over APS-C? Why do you guys keep talking about FF all the time then?
08-29-2012, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #555
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Are you suggesting that FF has no advantages over APS-C? Why do you guys keep talking about FF all the time then?

Not at all. Bigger formats have obvious image quality advantages over smaller formats. Pentax problem is what they can sell and where to put the resources. I can't see that 5% share provider than make a plethora of cameras in every DSLR sector and be sucessful at it. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic....

I would buy a Pentax FF camera the moment it is released. I own only one APS lens and that one is going to be replaced anyway. I own a complete set of Pentax FF lenses from 18 to 600mm.