Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
They have a fairly big stand at Photokina, have to fill it up with something.

Greetings
I thought they were bringing their own toilet this time?

09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I thought they were bringing their own toilet this time?
No, if you want to leave a deposit you go across the aisle to NIKON for that
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ElJamoquio: i know how you feel, i have similar reasons, for me the combination of features is just about perfect, etc. but the truth is, if i wanted a full frame camera now, because i honestly thought it was worth my cash (would improve my photography, or even just my enjoyment to a big enough extent), i'd go and buy one, i'd love to be able to by a pentax one, but if not available, oh well: life's just too short.

24X36NOW: you're on a crusade, i realize that (not news of course), and you've been for quite a while. you keep misreading what i say and putting words in my mouth. your conviction seems almost religious, i find it hard to argue with that. But i never said Pentax doesn't need a full frame, should never release a full frame, because i honestly don't know (and neither do you: what you want to be true and what is really true are two different things); so yes, i agree i "don't know", and i don't have statistics and so on and so forth, i base my reasoning on what i see here (which is anecdotal information at best), and never claimed or even implied that i have accurate figures or unusual insight regarding the camera industry.

However, note that i, also, have only stated i'm tired of the tone and constant bickering, and pointed out why it makes no sense to keep up with it for so long, i have made no predictions or definitive statements (of the type "pentax needs to do this now or die"), i just said "some things must come together if they are to do it", otoh some people here (...) claim, as a fact which cannot be argued, that (just some random example) "pentax needs to have full frame or they die" or "pentax sales are going down because there's no full frame" or, another good one "third party lens manufacturers abandoned the k mount because there's no full frame" (hmm, i can almost see a pattern there, but can't put my finger on it); a term which comes to mind, now that i'm thinking about this in more detail, is FUD*. Such statements do imply unusual insight and a knowledge of the industry which is a match to that of the successful ceo's/marketers/business analysts in this industry (well, unless it is good old FUD and nothing else, and i'm afraid, without very thorough backing of such prophetic statements, FUD is all they remain).

if you stop and read my post in a cool headed way, you will notice i in fact agree with you in some respects: i basically also said that, once the price is right (mostly sensor prices, of course, are the problem here), pentax will be able to go for 35mm and will probably have to (imho, that's not even worth stating or evaluating, i believe they will, simply because they would have no reason not to), but before that, it would be silly and foolish to make such gamble. If the time does come, expect them to be a little bit late (note: this includes the possibility, however unlikely, that they will in fact announce one at photokina, and that the price of the d800 and it's brethren is already at that "magic level", and, thus, that my estimation of "release price threshold to meet, for survival" might have been a bit pessimistic, but that's besides the point). The point is a "player" their size, on such a competitive market, needs to be very careful to survive. Your use of the term "bottom feeders" is angry (to put it mildly), look at the cameras they have released in the past few years, try to disregard that they are not "full frame" (consider most of the cameras from "the others" are not, as well), and you will notice that the term is insulting and unnecessary, they are trying hard and doing a great job, imho.

and btw, i'm a manual focus old-timer too, and i too am frustrated with the size of the average aps-c viewfinder (the excellent k-5 included), i too am nostalgic for my good old film cameras and their finders (i even pick them up every now and then just to enjoy a glimpse of "the good old days" ), i'd be exhilarated to see a 35mm dslr released by pentax myself, not sure i could justify replacing my k5, but maybe i could. But that's all besides the point. Again, if i wanted it now, i'd go for it, if i wanted but "can wait", i'd wait, but screaming "pentax will die if they don't release fullframe in the next 6 months" is pointless and probably extremely wrong too (especially when you do that for a few years in a row, and the victim keeps on refusing to die ). there's more to life than "fullframe" (even when you're a camera company)

* for people unfamiliar with the term, "fear uncertainty and doubt",

<jargon> /fuhd/ An acronym invented by {Gene Amdahl}
after he left {IBM} to found his own company: "FUD is the
fear, uncertainty, and doubt that {IBM} sales people instill
in the minds of potential customers who might be considering
[Amdahl] products." The idea, of course, was to persuade them
to go with safe IBM gear rather than with competitors'
equipment. This implicit coercion was traditionally
accomplished by promising that Good Things would happen to
people who stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed over the
future of competitors' equipment or software.