Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #121
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 376
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Nowadays, entry-level camera bodies are selling like hotcakes... and perhaps only half or less of entry-level buyers actually progress to higher bodies.
That's very true. And people switch brands like other people their underwear. A new entry level body + kit lens every few years. A little bit of brand loyality maybe, but it's really just a better compact camera to them.
It would be wise of Pentax to release something for that market.

07-26-2012, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,341
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You know what they say: "The truth hurts." So it must be true then.
An old man used to say: "if you wake up in the morning and everything hurts, it's OK; it means you're not dead yet".
07-26-2012, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd be interested one day to see the breakdown of D800 sales by user type.
I suspect that affluent amateurs are buying more D800's than professional photojournalists, wedding photographers etc. In part simply because there are more affluent amateurs out there than there are photo professionals.

There also seems to be a misconception about what 'professionals' are. Most of the professionals I know use APS-C, and also barely earn any money, certainly not enough money to be able to afford all the latest and greatest bodies and lenses etc whenever a manufacturer releases something new.

'Professional' doesn't mean rich, nor does it mean gear addict, or automatic FF or MF user.
That's true for most 'artistic' professions I think. Go into any music shop that sells elite instruments and ask the salesman who buys a $20,000 Gibson Les Paul or a $75,000 L series Strat and they'll most likely tell you "Lawyers". I've got a $7000 Les Paul that I stopped gigging with because people always throw things at you, even when they like you.

Last edited by bossa; 07-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.
07-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #124
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd be interested one day to see the breakdown of D800 sales by user type.
I suspect that affluent amateurs are buying more D800's than professional photojournalists, wedding photographers etc.
I saw a couple of D800 users during my recent holiday, each with large zoom lenses and a grip so I first thought they were using D3 or something. They all looked like affluent daddies taking snapshots of their kids

07-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #125
Veteran Member
sb in ak's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homer, AK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 571
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
That's very true. And people switch brands like other people their underwear. A new entry level body + kit lens every few years. A little bit of brand loyality maybe, but it's really just a better compact camera to them.
It would be wise of Pentax to release something for that market.
Yup...and one of the largest tech comebacks history--Apple--did it by selling imacs, not high end desktops.
07-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #126
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 376
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Yup...and one of the largest tech comebacks history--Apple--did it by selling imacs, not high end desktops.
It's what I didn't get with Hoya. Nothing to compete against the EOS1100 (as bad as it is, it's still better than most compact cameras).

The K30 isn't in that sector, either. Let's see if there'll be a K300.
07-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #127
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 40
So,...
New to this forum...and desperate for Pentax to produce a FF body.....
Reading through some of these posts, it looks like its a waiting game... :/

Come on Pentax, there are 100's if not 1000's of fans wanting a FF, so please dont let us sweat it out too much
07-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #128
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I saw a couple of D800 users during my recent holiday, each with large zoom lenses and a grip so I first thought they were using D3 or something. They all looked like affluent daddies taking snapshots of their kids
That's true. For an affluent, tech and fashion aware dad in 2010s, full frame DSLR is the camera that fits all the requirements, including that of a great advertising of dad's still noticeable virility, but also of an aid for deteriorating vision; it's easier to take a well focused snap with shallow DoF on an FF DSLR than on an APS-C DSLR. All ex Pentax daddies who abandoned Pentax's APS-C in favour of D700 and D800 to support them in their haphazard local zoo safaris can confirm that truth.

07-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #129
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I mean, the first words out of the Nikon D800 technical guide are not 'get the bestest, sharpest lenses', but 'At the high resolutions offered by the D800/D800E, even the slightest camera motion can result in blur', and then they extensively discuss all of the craft techniques a photog (probably more used to the 12 MP of the D700) should use to get the best out of the D800's 36MP.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, if Pentax would utilize the same sensor combined with the inbody SR, they would actually have a edge over Nikon's D800?

Then with the WR and a lower price then the D800 it would be a real winner maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I can shoot my 70-200 VRII at 1/13th sec at 200mm with no visible shake. The Pentax SR is not in the same league unfortunately.
But... What you described here is not all that impressive. I see that several other members have concluded the same. If done right, the same can be done with a K5 and a simple 55-300 at 300mm.

I think Pentax, with it's standard SR, would still have the edge over Nikon. Pentax still has the ability to give that SR to ANY lens that's already in the Pentaxians posession.

And who says Pentax doesn't improve on it's SR for the FF body? It's a fact that SR is not equal in all bodies. Higher end ones are more capable than entry level ones. There's no reason why the FF flagship shouldn't have an improved SR again.
07-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
That's very true. And people switch brands like other people their underwear. A new entry level body + kit lens every few years. A little bit of brand loyality maybe, but it's really just a better compact camera to them.
It would be wise of Pentax to release something for that market.
almost certainly that camera is slated for Photokina (K300?), If they are going to have 4 DSLR in the line (as they have hinted earlier this year) an entry body and a FF body are the most logical additions to the K30/K5 (or K3) line
post photokina the line should probably look like this
Q (maybe Q2)
K-01(possible but i doubt it a second K-0 body)
K300
K30
K3
LXD (previewed for spring)
645D 9possible 645D2 for next year as well)
07-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #131
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And who says Pentax doesn't improve on it's SR for the FF body? It's a fact that SR is not equal in all bodies. Higher end ones are more capable than entry level ones. There's no reason why the FF flagship shouldn't have an improved SR again.
If they make an SR that is only 1 stop efficient, and squeeze in an FF sensor that has 1 stop advantage over an APS-C sensor, that would make 2 stops gained. I think many God's folk would be more than happy with it.
07-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #132
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
almost certainly that camera is slated for Photokina (K300?), If they are going to have 4 DSLR in the line (as they have hinted earlier this year) an entry body and a FF body are the most logical additions to the K30/K5 (or K3) line
post photokina the line should probably look like this
Q (maybe Q2)
K-01(possible but i doubt it a second K-0 body)
K300
K30
K3
LXD (previewed for spring)
645D 9possible 645D2 for next year as well)
Two FF bodies make better sense, even if they use the same sensor.
07-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #133
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Dunc's Quote
So,...
New to this forum...and desperate for Pentax to produce a FF body.....
Reading through some of these posts, it looks like its a waiting game... :/

Come on Pentax, there are 100's if not 1000's of fans wanting a FF, so please dont let us sweat it out too much
Even Santa Claus, Mr Sandman and Oompa loompas are dying to see it!

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo,
Iíve got a perfect puzzle for you.
Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dee,
If you are wise youíll listen to me.

What do you get when you think of Pentax sweets?
Dreaming as much as an elephant eats.
What are you at getting that awesome FF grapevine?
What do you think that thing will become mine?

07-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That's true for most 'artistic' professions I think. Go into any music shop that sells elite instruments and ask the salesman who buys a $20,000 Gibson Les Paul or a $75,000 L series Strat and they'll most likely tell you "Lawyers". I've got a $7000 Les Paul that I stopped gigging with because people always throw things at you, even when they like you.
Too true, No-one i know as a musician plays live gigs with the expensive stuff (if they even own it)
For years Chris Spedding has played some pretty cheap guitars. he had an issue with them getting stolen so toured with sheaper knockoffs a lot of the time.
last couple of times i saw him he's been playing a nice guitar (James Trussart Steelpaul - a les paul knockoff of sorts- and using a 50's fender amp. no pedals/effect etc. every time he comes to town for a club gig the place is packed with guitarists trying to figure out how he does guitar jamboree with a basic setup
the current guitar is about $6000 - most expensive one I've ever seen him play actually and I've seen him more times than i can count, heck he's lived here a couple of times and produced a number of friends albums.
07-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Two FF bodies make better sense, even if they use the same sensor.
no they don't

80% of the marketplace is the k300/k30 level. we are not the majority of the market.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, frame, k-3, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Full Frame DSLR (Well, sort of...) 721 Pentax Full Frame 83 08-18-2014 01:44 AM
Pentax...make a bare bones full frame high mp dslr. slackercruster Photographic Industry and Professionals 12 09-26-2012 04:20 PM
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
Full Frame DSLR Spacebandit Welcomes and Introductions 12 09-20-2011 04:34 AM
Photokina 2010, Pentax and the full frame mystery falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 727 09-03-2010 11:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top