Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
This is no fun. I take photography seriously. Don't have time to waste on games.
Ignore any FF threads until mid September then. the earliest we will hear anything is Photokina, until then it's all hot air and speculation. Even if someone here does know the full story through and association with Pentax they will be under a non disclosure agreement.

All that being said when i talked with my favourite camera store guy (who owns the shop and is a Pentax fan) and FF comes up he just gets an enigmatic smile. It is quite possible some senior level buyers or key store owners are aware of what is coming in some form or another. If it is close enough ie withing 5-6 months odds are there are some people out beta testing it somewhere

07-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Ignore any FF threads until mid September then. the earliest we will hear anything is Photokina, until then it's all hot air and speculation. Even if someone here does know the full story through and association with Pentax they will be under a non disclosure agreement.

All that being said when i talked with my favourite camera store guy (who owns the shop and is a Pentax fan) and FF comes up he just gets an enigmatic smile. It is quite possible some senior level buyers or key store owners are aware of what is coming in some form or another. If it is close enough ie withing 5-6 months odds are there are some people out beta testing it somewhere

OK

Will wait for Photokina

Thanks
07-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
I think the FF discussion has been so thrashed out, that its gone quiet and people are sick of it. People have now just resigned themselves to ...let's wait and see.......either way, the next step up from the K5 will be good, regardless of APS-C or FF. Pentax now have a habit of producing very good DSLR's because they need to be at least as good as the rest to stay afloat against the big boys. I can only hope they stay true to their core values and bring us another leap in IQ, for stills photographers.
07-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #64
Pentaxian

The best scenario: announce the K-5's successor a few weeks before Photokina, and the K-1 on september the 18th. Lotsa buzz and press coverage as a result :-)

07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #65
Veteran Member

No matter how half-baked the idea is, I think it's important to announce it before the D600.
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The best scenario: announce the K-5's successor a few weeks before Photokina, and the K-1 on september the 18th. Lotsa buzz and press coverage as a result :-)
I doubt it'll be a K-1. Too much confusion with the K-01. It's a support nightmare.
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well Canon charges even more for less pixels. It's not the number of pixels that make the difference in price I guess.
Obviously not. Nikon recently released a D4 with a 16.2 mp full frame sensor with an msrp $5999.95

D4 Digital SLR Camera | SLR Digital Cameras

07-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #68
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
......Filled with hot air from Pentaxians posting FF rumours.
I hope they aren't driven by an SDM motor. Hysterical
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That being said, the K-3 will follow in the K'5 footsteps in the sense that it will give current FF's a run for their money. And that includes the D800 also.
So hold you breath and watch as Pentax takes its rightful place(again) as having the worlds best APS-C camera.
Well, the problem is that world is moving away from high end APS-C DSLRs, leaving this format to mirrorless and entry level DSLRs, which are going to be phased out quite soon too, leaving mirrorless only... I really would hate to see that Pentax realises that too late, as it happend with film to digital transition.
07-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I have a feeling this will likely be true

- - - - - Yes it's another BS fake FF story.

And yes, I think you're going to be right, the next APS-C will be rather a stunner.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I just want to state on record, that this rumor is false. And I want to reaffirm this by saying that I say this with the greatest of confidence.
That being said, the K-3 will follow in the K'5 footsteps in the sense that it will give current FF's a run for their money. And that includes the D800 also.
So hold you breath and watch as Pentax takes its rightful place(again) as having the worlds best APS-C camera.

Last edited by solar1; 07-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
which are going to be phased out quite soon too, leaving mirrorless only
I don't think this view reflects what camera manufacturers are actually doing.

The launch media conference of the Canon EOS-M mirrorless in Japan provided a number of interesting slides of the market strategy of Canon with mirrorless. It's clear that for them moving into mirrorless doesn't mean entry-level DSLR's are going to go away, nor high-end APS-C either.

Mirrorless is presented very much as a way to attract more people, especially P&S upgraders, into their lucrative DSLR segment, especially lenses. As the Google-translatese says:
"The company has explained that the lineup rather than the alternative of SLR cameras, expanding the market.."

Furthermore, as the 'pyramid' chart in the presentation highlights, mirrorless is meant to sit alongside entry-level DSLR's, and encourage people to step up to more advanced DSLR gear once they grow out of mirrorless.
07-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
he just gets an enigmatic smile
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The best scenario: announce the K-5's successor a few weeks before Photokina, and the K-1 ILX-d on september the 18th. Lotsa buzz and press coverage as a result :-)
I edited your post.
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can't believe that photo is still floating around.
That's how good an April Fool's it was. Even non-Pentaxians are believing it, lol XD
07-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Furthermore, as the 'pyramid' chart in the presentation highlights, mirrorless is meant to sit alongside entry-level DSLR's, and encourage people to step up to more advanced DSLR gear once they grow out of mirrorless.
Exactly. Within a few years DSLRs at bottom of pyramid will be pushed out by more mirrorless (with flipping LCD screens, viewfinders, etc.) and those two APS-C cameras in the middle layer (other two are already FF) will be pushed out by cheap FF DSLR(s)

Last edited by Edvinas; 07-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Exactly. Within a few years DSLRs at bottom of pyramid will be pushed out by more mirrorless (with flipping LCD screens, viewfinders, etc.) and those two APS-C cameras in the middle layer (other two are already FF) will be pushed out by cheap FF DSLR(s)
Maybe, though I don't think APS-C is dead anytime soon. Unless the EVF tech gets amazing, I think there will be a group of folks who are looking for a smaller than FF camera with a real VF.