Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GreenMachine Quote
Seriously if they even introduce something like this in September . . . who would wait another 4 to maybe 6 months for it????// . . . . There's plenty of high mp cameras around already from different manufacturers including really good used bargains on some of those.
I would wait too. I don't want high MP, I want a FF digital to mount the FA* lenses and FA Limiteds.

I just wish they'd announce it. I'd wait a year if they'd announce it soon to let their user-base know what's happening.

08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GreenMachine Quote
Seriously if they even introduce something like this in September . . . who would wait another 4 to maybe 6 months for it????// . . . . There's plenty of high mp cameras around already from different manufacturers including really good used bargains on some of those.
Folks that already have an investment in Pentax lenses? Seriously.
08-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Folks that already have an investment in Pentax lenses? Seriously.
If you had one Pentax camera, with one or 2 lenses, I would have no hesitation leaving...IF I was burning for a FF camera (which I am not).

But I have 3 pentax cameras, too many lenses, flashes, accessories, etc. So yea, 4 to 6 months is not a long time at all to wait, lol.
I suspect a lot of people on this forum are on the same boat as me.
08-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #289
Pentaxian

I have a whole pile, slew, selection, bunch, bundle, accumulation, assortment, array, set, wad, collection (a lot of them...ok) of Pentax glass that will work beautifully on a Pentax full-frame camera. I would love to try each of them. I have already been waiting several years, a couple more months, give or take, won't make a lot of difference.

08-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I suspect a lot of people on this forum are on the same boat as me.
And I also suspect a number of those who abandoned these forums and Pentax would return once a real FF is announced.

I'm down to eight Pentax bodies now (I use all but one). I've sold off quite a few in the last year, but I plan to add one or two more and keep the ones I have, definitely a third addition if Pentax releases the FF.
08-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #291
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It's a matter of putting reality into the rumors. Sure there's plenty of heavily invested Pentax users as there are other brands, but I've seen the begging for a Pentax FF for so long it's really time to either make one or risk falling even farther below the 7% market share they have. Like other people have said in here . . . the sensor and technology is there and I'm sure if there is one, it's been in development already and being secretly tested and then secretly shipped to the Pro-Blographers and gear marketers . . . I mean reviewers.
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #292
Veteran Member

I would like a Pentax FF camera and I would like some modern Pentax FF glass. Still I really don't think we will see it until summer 2013 if even then. I am guessing for the K-mount the things we will see will be:
1. K5 MkII announced in a few weeks and will be a K5 with some updates and upgrades from the K30, but still have the 16MP sensor.
2. K300 entry level annouced at Photokina and at stores in Nov. for holiday sales. Most likely with the 16MP sensor.
3. K3 announced just before CP+ in late January. It will be a true pro-level aps-c camera with a new AF with more AF points and a 24MP Sony sensor.

This will give Pentax a four tier aps-c dslr line-up with budget, mid-level, pro-consumer and pro levels with approximate pricing of $500, $850, $1,200 and $1,600.

Also it seems like Pentax under Ricoh ownership is trying to get a new camera out every 3 months or so. Starting with the K-01 and continuing with the K30. Which just might be the rate of introductions that their engineering staff can handle when starting production runs of new products and solving problems with just released cameras. So just maybe the FF camera will be out mid-summer 2013. I would love to see two FF cameras from Pentax a budget one price at $2,000 and an advance one price at $2,500. till there is a need for modern FF lenses from Pentax.

So I will guess there will be forum people disappointed with what Pentax is going to announce at Photokina this year. :-) Still next year is shaping up to be n interesting time.

Dave

08-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #293
Veteran Member

No FF there. Sorry all. The current lenses are based on APS-C and only few left which suits FF (and has aperture ring). I do not care if you ask me. I am f'ckin happy with K-5 performance and small limited lens. I am OK with DOF and OK with noise performance. No need for expensive FF..
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
No FF there. Sorry all. The current lenses are based on APS-C and only few left which suits FF (and has aperture ring). I do not care if you ask me. I am f'ckin happy with K-5 performance and small limited lens. I am OK with DOF and OK with noise performance. No need for expensive FF..
aperture ring likely won't be on future lenses whether ff or apsc. new cameras (FF or APSC) don't require it. As long as the good lenses still have a DOF scale (something sadly missing on the DA35 and DA50 entry level primes)
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
aperture ring likely won't be on future lenses whether ff or apsc. new cameras (FF or APSC) don't require it. As long as the good lenses still have a DOF scale (something sadly missing on the DA35 and DA50 entry level primes)

Those are not the only Pentax lenses missing DOF scale.
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
3. K3 announced just before CP+ in late January. It will be a true pro-level aps-c camera with a new AF with more AF points and a 24MP Sony sensor.
Everything else looked okay but this one. If a pro wants 24 mp they'll buy a FF from another brand. I don't know any pro who'd want this many mp in an APS-C because this would take the current Pentax image processor the same amount of time to show the image on screen as the 645D and a fps rate somewhere around 1/2 fps (I'm throwing numbers out here that are quite possibly exaggerated, don't nail me to the wall). Not exactly what a pro needs or wants.

I'd like to see more AF points and an improved AF system as much as anybody. But with ridiculous high mp Pentax would need a dual image processor and major improvements to the current processor. And I won't get everyone started on what Pentax needs to do with their customer service and support required to carry a pro line.
08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Everything else looked okay but this one. If a pro wants 24 mp they'll buy a FF from another brand. I don't know any pro who'd want this many mp in an APS-C because this would take the current Pentax image processor the same amount of time to show the image on screen as the 645D and a fps rate somewhere around 1/2 fps (I'm throwing numbers out here that are quite possibly exaggerated, don't nail me to the wall). Not exactly what a pro needs or wants.
Why would you assume a carryover 2 year old processor in the top-of-the-line camera? Pentax pulls some bonehead moves but those idiotic decisions are in the marketing department.

P.S. - your numbers ARE incredibly low. The FPS would be around 4.7 fps everything else the same.
08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

I'd like to see more AF points and an improved AF system as much as anybody. But with ridiculous high mp Pentax would need a dual image processor and major improvements to the current processor. And I won't get everyone started on what Pentax needs to do with their customer service and support required to carry a pro line.
Hopefully the 24 MP sensor for such a camera will be a good sensor. At 24 MP the sensor resolution will be about equal to the high-end lenses.

I would hope the processing power on such a pro-level camera will be greatly upgraded over a pro-consumer camera like the K5 so that the pro-level camera will have pro-level specs.

Dave
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #299
Veteran Member

And I also hope P-R will never stop producing the FA Limiteds...
08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #300
Veteran Member

At a minimum I hope they implement quick shift on the FA's.

I've said this before, so I apologize for repetitiveness, but I think a portrait lens that has a purple bloom whenever a woman's wearing a white dress... ...is ridiculous.