Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Rumors about a new Pentax full frame DSLR camera have been circulating for a while. Here are some new updates:
  1. Pentax will make the world's most compact full frame body which is to be marketed by March 2013.
  2. Two body colors: black and silver.
  3. Using the new Sony 24MP full frame sensor, possibly the same as in the rumored Nikon D600 and the upcoming Sony a99. Pentax can start using this new sensor 6 months after the a99 is announced.
  4. Pentax will also announce a new full frame kit zoom lens (starting from 28mm on the wide angle side).
  5. There will be also a new battery grip and flash unit.
  6. The price of the new Pentax full frame camera is rumored to be HK$22,000 for the body only (around US$2800).
  7. The official announcement is expected in September at Photokina.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: More Pentax full frame DSLR rumors | Photo Rumors
I can't believe how many times the same april fools can be cooked and served. It's getting tiresome.

08-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rumors about a new Pentax full frame DSLR camera have been circulating for a while. Here are some new updates:
  1. Pentax will make the world's most compact full frame body which is to be marketed by March 2013.
  3. Using the new Sony 24MP full frame sensor, possibly the same as in the rumored Nikon D600 and the upcoming Sony a99. Pentax can start using this new sensor 6 months after the a99 is announced.
  4. Pentax will also announce a new full frame kit zoom lens (starting from 28mm on the wide angle side).
  6. The price of the new Pentax full frame camera is rumored to be HK$22,000 for the body only (around US$2800).

The problem with this 'rumour' is that it's the only practical way Pentax could really enter full frame. This is why this same idea has been repeated: not because it's necessarily true but because it's the only truly plausible FF camera Pentax could make at this present time.

Where it falls down is on the 6 month exclusivity for the A99. I can believe, and indeed would expect, Sony to use the 24mp sensor as an exclusive for a given period of time. What would surprise me however is that they would allow Pentax to announce that they will be using the sensor six months ahead of release - this almost defeats the point of the exclusivity.

There is also the issue of whether Sony would want exclusivity over the rumoured D600 as well. Given the number of units Nikon is likely to order..... who knows.
08-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

note to Adam: next April Fool's joke should sound somewhat less realistic
08-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote

Where it falls down is on the 6 month exclusivity for the A99. I can believe, and indeed would expect, Sony to use the 24mp sensor as an exclusive for a given period of time. What would surprise me however is that they would allow Pentax to announce that they will be using the sensor six months ahead of release - this almost defeats the point of the exclusivity. .
Who says they do allow that? Who says Pentax will actually SAY they will use the Sony FF sensor? If they have to wait 6 months (and I agree, that makes sense). They could ofcourse show a mock-up of a FF camera without revealing the source of the sensor but I don't think people will buy that. But with that restriction I don't think we will see a hint of a Pnetax FF at all this photokina, that would not make sens if you have to wait for six more months before you can even announce it officially...

08-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #440

Flame me ll you want, but at $2800 I would sell my kit and become a CanNikon FF user... really you are getting a truly top of the line system...
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Flame me ll you want, but at $2800 I would sell my kit and become a CanNikon FF user... really you are getting a truly top of the line system...
Back in a minute.. just going out to buy a flame thrower.
08-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #442
Pentaxian

For $2800, you would barely get a FF camera

08-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #443

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't understand what's so hot about the 5d Mk III. It costs more than the D800 (over here at least) and has significantly worse low ISO DR than the K-5. Add to that: Some of the lenses that are really different from what you can get for the K-5 (i.e. those where FF really matters) are crazy expensive (e.g. the 14mm f/2.8 L II).
Just few words about Canon. I was Pentax user until last year when I bought 5DmkII. Main reason for buying Canon was FF senzor, second reason were my Takumar lenses that are made for FF format (I have cca. 40 Takumar lenses) and third reason was price of Canon lenses. For 1000 eur I am able to buy new high speed trio of Canon lenses (35mm f2, 50mm f1,4, 100mm f2) and that is pretty much 90% of my lens needs. Try to find that with Pentax.
Still I am convinced that one day I would like to have Pentax FF.
08-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #444

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
Just few words about Canon. I was Pentax user until last year when I bought 5DmkII. Main reason for buying Canon was FF senzor, second reason were my Takumar lenses that are made for FF format (I have cca. 40 Takumar lenses) and third reason was price of Canon lenses. For 1000 eur I am able to buy new high speed trio of Canon lenses (35mm f2, 50mm f1,4, 100mm f2) and that is pretty much 90% of my lens needs. Try to find that with Pentax.
Still I am convinced that one day I would like to have Pentax FF.
Apart from the FF capabilities of the Canon, i have trouble seeing your math work out. If you add the price of the 5D mk2 to the price of the lenses, you end up with roughly the same price as the K5 with almost equivalent lens complement. At the moment the 5D mk2 is almost twice the price of the K5 here in Norway, and have been for quite a while.
08-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #445

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Apart from the FF capabilities of the Canon, i have trouble seeing your math work out. If you add the price of the 5D mk2 to the price of the lenses, you end up with roughly the same price as the K5 with almost equivalent lens complement. At the moment the 5D mk2 is almost twice the price of the K5 here in Norway, and have been for quite a while.
Yes price of 5DmkII was 1700 eur and that is 2xK5, but it has also senzor that is more than twice larger . Otherwise you will not find lenses in Pentax land that will match that trio that I mentioned. You can try with 21, 35 and 70mm but speeds are not there. Soo there is no real Pentax equivalent. Only true Pentax adavantage over Canon is SR and I hope that they will retain that in FF camera.
08-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
Yes price of 5DmkII was 1700 eur and that is 2xK5, but it has also senzor that is more than twice larger . Otherwise you will not find lenses in Pentax land that will match that trio that I mentioned. You can try with 21, 35 and 70mm but speeds are not there. Soo there is no real Pentax equivalent. Only true Pentax adavantage over Canon is SR and I hope that they will retain that in FF camera.
I had a 5d mk1 and the mirror hit most of my takumars (maybe all) below 55mm. How does it work out with the mk2? With for example 50 1,4 (various versions), the ST 28 3,5 or SMC 35 3,5? I read the mirror is a bit shorter on the MK2. Thinking of getting one, they go for about 1100€ here. :-)
08-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wow. Oh wow. Finally.
08-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Oh wow. Oh wow. Finally.
Somebody needs to rename this thread to "april fools" or whatever.....
08-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #449

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
I had a 5d mk1 and the mirror hit most of my takumars (maybe all) below 55mm. How does it work out with the mk2? With for example 50 1,4 (various versions), the ST 28 3,5 or SMC 35 3,5? I read the mirror is a bit shorter on the MK2. Thinking of getting one, they go for about 1100€ here. :-)
I have three 50mm f1,4, Super Takumar V1 and V2 are hitting the mirror, but S-M-C one is not and it works great. Same goes for 35mm f3,5, Super Tak not working, S-M-C working without problem. I also have Auto Tak 35 f2,3 that work on FF without problem. My Super Tak 35 f2 is just on the edge, sometimest mirror is blocked by lens, sometimes no. None of 28mm Takumars works, but I have modified one so that works. Tak 24mm and Tak 20mm are not working, but sometimes I use them with live view.
08-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #450
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope you don't get a system at $2800. Like Kunzite said, barely an FF. A body at most... and looking at your kit (DA* 50-135, DA 12-24, FA50 f1.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8), that's already a mighty impressive lens lineup that can convince me to stay Pentax even if somebody offered me a 1Dx body for free, to make me switch. But then again, I have my reasons