Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I can't compare it to the DA* 55, but the FA 50 compares well to the other 50s I've owned over 4 decades, even one from a famous German maker. Perhaps I would love the DA* 55 so much that all others would pale; I don't know. Not working on my favorite film bodies was kind of a nonstarter. However, I couldn't be much happier with the FA 50. I'm even OK with the plastic body.
The DA50 is also sharper wide open than the FA50. Quite noticeable.
Well, it really is an FA50/1.7 in DA clothing and rounded blades.

I could do a film with the DA50 if anybody wants me to.

02-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The DA50 is also sharper wide open than the FA50. Quite noticeable.
Well, it really is an FA50/1.7 in DA clothing and rounded blades.

I could do a film with the DA50 if anybody wants me to.
Film would be interesting.

Of course wide open does not quite mean the same thing with the two lenses. I very seldom shoot at sub-F/2 on any lens, but the added brightness is nice for focusing.

I've had other incarnations of both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7 and found the performance all the same for practical use, but your copy may vary. FWIW, I notice the Takinami site shows almost no difference between the non macro Pentax 50s at similar apertures, and there is no real difference on Photozone's tests between the MTF numbers on the FA 50/1.4 and the DA* 50/1.4. They are all usable wide open and stellar at the mid apertures. In real life, corner sharpness on a 50 or longer at apertures wider than F/2 is pretty hard to see, since the corners are seldom in focus.

OTOH, everyone has their own sense and attachments about lenses, and that is part of why we buy them. My first K mount lens ~35 years ago was an M 50/1.4, and it is one of the sharpest and most used film lenses I ever owned. It is also my oldest lens friend.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-03-2013 at 12:30 PM.
02-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Film would be interesting.
Alright, I'll do a test film ASAP. But proper scanning may take a while though.

Of course wide open does not quite mean the same thing with the two lenses. I very seldom shoot at sub-F/2 on any lens, but the added brightness is nice for focusing.

I've had other incarnations of both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7 and found the performance all the same for practical use, but your copy may vary. FWIW, I notice the Takinami site shows almost no difference between the non macro Pentax 50s at similar apertures, and there is no real difference on Photozone's tests between the MTF numbers on the FA 50/1.4 and the DA* 50/1.4. They are all usable wide open and stellar at the mid apertures. In real life, corner sharpness on a 50 or longer at apertures wider than F/2 is pretty hard to see, since the corners are seldom in focus.
Over f/2 or f/2.8 I never saw a difference. But I was surprised at the FA50@1.4 vs DA50@1.8, the DA50@1.8 obviously wasn't sharp but acceptable considering the circumstances. The FA50@1.4 really made ma believe there was a problem with focus. Vaseline all over if you see what I mean.
May be my copy though.

OTOH, everyone has their own sense and attachments about lenses, and that is part of why we buy them. My first K mount lens ~35 years ago was an M 50/1.4, and it is one of the sharpest and most used film lenses I ever owned. It is also my oldest lens friend.
Very true ! I wish I could use a couple of those on a Pentax FF with Full K-mount compatibility.
My K30/2.8 really needs to see some light