Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D release and price in Australia

March, and $AUD2000 (body only), according to a camerashop assistant in Campbelltown, Sydney.

So.... if I get one of those babies I'll probably be (a) waiting a while and (b) importing mine from the USA... just like the K10D!

Speaking of the K10D, and as an aside, while I was at the shop another assistant was helping a customer choose between two cameras, one of which was the K10D and the other a Canon (I couldn't tell, but I assume the 400D or 350D)... and although you could see the customer leaning towards the Canon probably mainly on brand grounds, I was very pleased to see the assistant definitely knew her stuff and was leaning the customer towards the K10D as the better camera for the money, with a better kit lens too. Warms the cockles of the heart Had to leave before the customer had made up their mind, so I don't know how it ended. Hopefull well

01-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am sure they would have gone for canon in the end...

Speaking of the price of k20d, that sounds about right. But within 2 months, the price will probably crash to the floor just like k10d.

Importing it from US will cost the same anyway: GST, postage, and the worst thing is the custom for sure.

I know a few highschool students getting k10d already (too cheap) and they shoot like pros without recognition!
01-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had heard that it would be a touch under $2000 with the new 18-55 and a bit over $1600 body only. Either way, i wont be buying one. Last thing i need is bigger file sizes and it doesnt really do any more for me than what the k10 already does.
01-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I heard $1990 AUD with the new kit lens, and end of march in stores. Time will tell, i have my order in, hopefully i'll have the cash .

01-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
March, and $AUD2000 (body only), according to a camerashop assistant in Campbelltown, Sydney.

So.... if I get one of those babies I'll probably be (a) waiting a while and (b) importing mine from the USA... just like the K10D!

Speaking of the K10D, and as an aside, while I was at the shop another assistant was helping a customer choose between two cameras, one of which was the K10D and the other a Canon (I couldn't tell, but I assume the 400D or 350D)... and although you could see the customer leaning towards the Canon probably mainly on brand grounds, I was very pleased to see the assistant definitely knew her stuff and was leaning the customer towards the K10D as the better camera for the money, with a better kit lens too. Warms the cockles of the heart Had to leave before the customer had made up their mind, so I don't know how it ended. Hopefull well
Hi,

with the exchange rate its a bit hard to believe why we should pay the extra, same problems the Canadians seem to have. But when my k100d died, CRK where very very quick on fixing, it has made me tempted to keep to Australian Warranty, but then how much extra is it worth?

I got the k10d early 2006 by doing the this shop is doing it at this price etc etc (I really hate doing that, its not my nature) mostly quoting I think digital camera warehouse. The saleperson didn't believe the price and asked the manager who knew and said if I was to buy it right now he'd beat the price. (of course then you have to deal with having a wonderful new toy that has a flat battery (I nice receptionist at the immigration museum let me use a power point

I was in melbourne at the time, and there is 3 shops almost next to each other. One of the shops the guy said what would you want that for? I also asked about the d200 at the time and he said that's rubbish too, you need to get a canon the next shop I said I was looking at the k10d and d200 and then went on how ripped off he felt by nikon since the k10d release and how he and another worker had worked out that they could sell all there nikon gear, buy all new pentax and still be up, but have a better camera, he was pretty keen on the k10 (apparently battery life on d200 isn't real good? well he went on and on...

Phil
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #6

It will be interesting to see what Camera-Warehouse sets their price at. When I purchased mine, I thought about getting it from the US but chose to stay with a local. Their price was well below what Camera House was asking for the same combination.

Bob
01-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Hi,

But when my k100d died, CRK where very very quick on fixing, it has made me tempted to keep to Australian Warranty, but then how much extra is it worth?

Phil
A lot of noise on the Internet has been about Pentax service. Here in Australia, CR Kennedy has been superb. Turn around times on cameras that I have had into them seldom was greater that 10 days. A friend of mine has had to wait up to 3 months the get his professional gear repaired.

Aussie Pentax users - stick with Aussie sourced equipment. The pricing has been quite competitive and, as usual, CRK wants Pentax to be the most popular SLR in Australia.

Bob (a Yank down under)

01-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Has any one heard if the Samsung variant will be released in Oz and if so at what price?

If it is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper I will be very tempted to go down the Samsung path.
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This conversation dates back some six months, but I was in a Harvey Norman store to have a look at a Samsung GX 10 I had seen on an earlier visit at a good price. Unfortuneately (?) for me the GX 10 had sold.

However, the salesman did say that there would be no more GX-10's in Australia and they were waiting to hear about a new model that they would stock.

If Harvey Norman retail the GX 20 then things could get very interesting on the price front.

Cheers
01-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Has any one heard if the Samsung variant will be released in Oz and if so at what price?

If it is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper I will be very tempted to go down the Samsung path.
Do we have any idea as to what repair/warranty services are available for the Samsung variant?

Bob
01-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

seems a bit dear for what is a replacement model. I paid $1700 for my K10D (with 16-45/f4) over a year ago, I'd imagine the price has come down since then.
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #12

Price in Australia Ridiculous

Dear All,

I can't understand why you would buy the camera in Australia. For example the cheapest price I can get a K10D in Australia is $1200 whilst I can buy from B@H for $699 even with exchange rate and postage it comes to under $800 A a saving of $400. I can buy a nice lens for that.

Regards

Charles Wilson
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Charles Wilson Quote
Dear All,

I can't understand why you would buy the camera in Australia. For example the cheapest price I can get a K10D in Australia is $1200 whilst I can buy from B@H for $699 even with exchange rate and postage it comes to under $800 A a saving of $400. I can buy a nice lens for that.
Hi Charles,

The K10D with Pentax kit lens is as cheap as AUD $900 now. Grey import though.

I've just pre-ordered the K20D......can't wait.

bazz.
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Charles Wilson Quote
I can't understand why you would buy the camera in Australia. For example the cheapest price I can get a K10D in Australia is $1200 whilst I can buy from B@H for $699 even with exchange rate and postage it comes to under $800
Absolutely! And GST from customs is only applicable if the total cost is above $AUD1000 and this wouldn't be. I wrote as much to CR Kennedy and they both downplayed the savings (uh... not really, when it's close to a QUARTER of the purchase price) AND talked up the value of an Australian warranty. To which my tongue-in-cheek reply is : why is the warranty that important, is Pentax such a poor quality brand? (I know... I'm touching wood that sort of comment doesn't come back to hurt me!).

I've seen the K10D for $1000 body only local. Probably could bargain down if you were keen, but that's more than it cost me to buy and ship one from the US nearly six months ago.

In other news, I was checking out my local camera shop and have to admit, they Pentax offering is quite nicely displayed. The DSLRs from various companies are each given more or less a single glass shelf in a double display cabinet. While the Nikon one is crammed with four models and a couple of lenses all crushed together, the Pentax one has two artfully placed cameras, the K10D and K100D (?super?)... and they're at customers' eye level

Anyway, back on topic : I'm not in the market to upgrade, but chances are I will import if the savings are meaningful.
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
I was very pleased to see the assistant definitely knew her stuff and was leaning the customer towards the K10D as the better camera for the money, with a better kit lens too.
I daresay said rep will be getting a visit from the Canon marketing agents. Probably in a cheap hotel in Kings Cross, where screams are ignored for a nominal fee.

The only thing with importing the K20D is that it's over what I think is the duty-free threshold of $999, or $1k at bt*ist says. Of course, if the duty is something like $50, it'll still be a bargain.

My opinion of CR Kennedy? **c* 'em. Bunch of **********ing ****s. They're the reasons I had to get a bloody Sigma 18-200mm zoom with my K100D. They would not let me get anything else - or, more to the point, they'd browbeaten the store into not selling anything else with the K100D. Wouldn't let me get even the Pentax kit lens at the time - wouldn't even let me get the body on its own.

Wouldn't let me get a cheaper lens. The salesman - an awesome bloke - just looked around, lowered his voice and shook his head softly as he said "it's the only way we're allowed to sell them."

They have zero faith in Pentax, in my opinion. Being the importers of Sigma lenses as well, I'm guessing this was the only way to flog all the shite "glass" (with resin elements!) they'd bought.

Maybe they do want Pentax to be the best. Not amongst users who know an f-stop from a bus stop. Not while they import the absolutely craptastic line of Sigma consumer zooms.

I hope Pentax either kicks some sense into CRK, or, better yet, terminates their contract and gets their own Aussie distributor.

I will import the K20D. One, for the savings, and two, CRK can wither and die for all I care.