Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
LOL...must be nice to have the money to even consider both the 800E and a possible K-5 successor!

By the way, how is the 800E working for you? Obviously, the IQ is otherworldly, but how is the handling and AF?
My Nikon had to go away for almost 3 weeks to get the focus calibrated as it was all over the place. I had blamed the lenses originally until I got the camera back.

Focus seems pretty ok but not all that much better than a K-5 to be frank. It has a few other AUTO modes which are cool if you need them but as I mainly shoot inanimate objects they're unappreciated to this point. The Nikon has way more AF points though and that is better for accuracy and manual selection. The VF is bigger and brighter too, allowing reasonably manual focusing with faster lenses unlike the K-5. I have been fooling around all afternoon with the 31LTD up against the Sigma 50 on the D800E trying to get some perspective.

PS: I'm not loaded.. I have a lot of stuff I can sell to finance a K-5 replacement if I want it.

08-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #77
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Focus seems pretty ok but not all that much better than a K-5 to be frank.
I have not seen many other people mention this, so maybe it is just me, but I found the AF on D700 to be better than the D800. The D700 seemed a a little more decisive, and slightly quicker to lock in AF.C.
08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Long reach - wildlife?
Q+FA*80-200 at f4 (1100mm equivalent); On FF or APS-C; it would need at least a crazy expensive 400/5.6 and crop from there.
That's a seriously beautiful image

However, I recognize a flaw in reasoning if I see it

To create the same quality 800px wide image from say, a DA*300 (on full frame or APS-C, assuming 5m pixels and assuming you need to downsample 4 pixels into 1 for the quality), you'll only need to crop a sensor area 8mm wide. Which turns a 300mm into 1350mm, even better than your 1100mm above (even 200mm would probably suffice).

So, I am sorry to say but your point is void.
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
As "good" as the "EOS Mark 2"? Do you mean the 5DII? That would be terrible. The AF is just bad, and so are the FPS
The 5DII is a stellar camera but it's not geared toward sports. If you're not shooting sports, you'll find that the centerpoint AF and the FPS are plenty fast. The IQ is stellar as long as you're not lifting shadows. Hardly terrible, and a pretty good price these days compared to the other FF offerings. It will undoubtedly be replaced later this year, probably by a budget FF with a lesser body IMO.

08-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
The 5DII is a stellar camera but it's not geared toward sports. If you're not shooting sports, you'll find that the centerpoint AF and the FPS are plenty fast. The IQ is stellar as long as you're not lifting shadows. Hardly terrible, and a pretty good price these days compared to the other FF offerings. It will undoubtedly be replaced later this year, probably by a budget FF with a lesser body IMO.
So your point is, Pentax should have a K5-successor that's pretty much like the K20D but with a higher resolution sensor? (oh, and video, of course).
08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I hope that you realize that your shooting needs are hardly representative. Perhaps about 95% of shooters don't require such high ISOs, except on the rarest of occasions.

Rob
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Actually, I would disagree. I know a couple of professionals who rarely go below 1600. Sports and news tog's push shutter speeds as high as they can. I know a guy who works with a couple of zoo's/wildlife refuges and guides in Africa part of the year who always shoots at 1600 or higher on Canon 1DIVs (loves APS-H). The cleaner the high ISO the better. News togs and people who do surveillance work wont be happy until their cameras have night vision.
Well I know a number of professionals who rarely go above 400 . You'll always find people with different experiences online. I don't shoot surveillance, but I'd like a camera one day that has 1600 or 3200 ISO look as clean and detailed as 100. What I'd like even more than rediculous unusable high ISO capability is low ISO capability. Speeds of 80, 64, 50, 25 and even down to 6 (like the LX) would be much more useful to me than a messy ISO 1,000,000.

A professional, compact, WR Pentax FF with 21-24 MP, resulting in a very fast FPS rate, ISO 6 capability and the biggest FF VF sounds like a winner to me.
08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Well I know a number of professionals who rarely go above 400 . You'll always find people with different experiences online. I don't shoot surveillance, but I'd like a camera one day that has 1600 or 3200 ISO look as clean and detailed as 100. What I'd like even more than rediculous unusable high ISO capability is low ISO capability. Speeds of 80, 64, 50, 25 and even down to 6 (like the LX) would be much more useful to me than a messy ISO 1,000,000.

A professional, compact, WR Pentax FF with 21-24 MP, resulting in a very fast FPS rate, ISO 6 capability and the biggest FF VF sounds like a winner to me.
I think you are assuming that as high ISO gets better that low ISO will get worse. Why do you think this? Is ISO 80 on the K-5 worse than on the K-7? Obviously not. As sensors improve it will improve at all ISOs. Improvements in sensor technology will improve it across the board since there really is no ISO setting for a sensor. It is all about processing.
08-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Sometimes, pano stitch gets the landscape at far better resolution than 1 shot would from a camera.
Imageshack - imgp1062imgp1083and2mor.jpg
Hi pinholecam,

amazing shots! Where was this panorama taken?

08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #84
Pentaxian

I think you are assuming that as high ISO gets better that low ISO will get worse. Why do you think this? Is ISO 80 on the K-5 worse than on the K-7? Obviously not. As sensors improve it will improve at all ISOs. Improvements in sensor technology will improve it across the board since there really is no ISO setting for a sensor. It is all about processing.
No, sorry you are missing my point. I agree with you as sensors improve so will all ISOs. However in the high-ISO race it would be smart for a company to say "look what we have, our new camera has ISO 6, 25, 50... settings." No other DSLR has that. Why are we worrying about ISO 52,000 when no one really uses that on a daily basis? If there are people who use it daily, then that's a small number. My point is a camera company can distinguish their camera from others if they implement a feature like that, and I for one, would find that feature more useful than an ISO setting of 100,000.
08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
No, sorry you are missing my point. I agree with you as sensors improve so will all ISOs. However in the high-ISO race it would be smart for a company to say "look what we have, our new camera has ISO 6, 25, 50... settings." No other DSLR has that. Why are we worrying about ISO 52,000 when no one really uses that on a daily basis? If there are people who use it daily, then that's a small number. My point is a camera company can distinguish their camera from others if they implement a feature like that, and I for one, would find that feature more useful than an ISO setting of 100,000.
Well I would love to have a camera that offers iso-settings from iso 50 to iso 5000 and notting else. That would be great for 645Dii. In reality there is probably some limitation in the hardware from offering that?
08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Really low ISO is useful for studio flash which sometimes blows out way too much power.
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Really low ISO is useful for studio flash which sometimes blows out way too much power.
how about that sunny day in the desert?
08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
how about that sunny day in the desert?
That's where ND filters make much more sense, don't they .
08-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

Realize that ISO setting for digital is simply adjustments in amplification. Sensors don't have different ISO settings. As sensors become more efficient they will perform better at all ISO "settings".
08-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Realize that ISO setting for digital is simply adjustments in amplification. Sensors don't have different ISO settings. As sensors become more efficient they will perform better at all ISO "settings".
Sure, but what do you do if you're already at 1/8000 and absolutely don't want to stop down anymore and don't want to use an ND?