Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I would also like unlimited frame shooting at a decent speed.
The K-7 has this. It needs to select a higher compression JPG mode (full resolution is ok) and IIRC, no auto mode whatsoever. And a fast SD card. Cool feature which Pentax never advertized ...

Somewhere, I have a 4k@5p video I made this way

08-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If it saves the world from having to see one more slow shutter waterfall picture, then it is worth it.
LOL +1 - I have always had something of a distaste for what I call "cotton candy water." I like my water to look like water.
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If Pentax is delaying the release of the K-5 successor by 6 months it can only be so it releases a FF at the same time.
No, it's because it's going to use the same sensor as the A99, and Sony has an exclusivity period of 6 months from the A99's release.
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
LOL +1 - I have always had something of a distaste for what I call "cotton candy water." I like my water to look like water.
Hi

And I thought I was the only one and there was something wrong with me (there still could be) but I really, really don't like what looks like theater smoke coming down a mountain. Water should look like water in my opinion and there are different ways to portray this. A babbling brook should not look like a white slime pit because this would contradict the very word "babbling brook". Water should remain identifiable as water.

Still some people like and that's fine with me.

Greetings

08-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
If K5 replacement is a 24Mpx APS-c, it has to have major improvement with AF and QC in order to compete with others. Sony A77 ($1300) and Nikon D3200 ($650) both house a 24Mpx APS-c sensor. Of coarse these are different machines with different capabilities....
I am not sure how Pentax is going to attract new customers if the specifications are similar to Sony or NIkon and trying to sell the replacement at >US$1500.00.
I think that's fairly easy: More FPS, deeper buffer, higher ISO, better IQ, higher DR and color depth, better seals, better modes, better looking, better handling, higher quality build, in body SR and whatever else I missed.

BTW, this is what Pentax delivered with the K-5 against the D7000 which I'd add was a big success with a $1700 delivery. And so I'm thinking they are going to stick with what works on the K-3 also.
08-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #111
Veteran Member

personally i think I will be very happy if the K-3 has a swivel screen.....this will allow me to take a low level shots much easier without hurting my back )
08-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #112
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
personally i think I will be very happy if the K-3 has a swivel screen.....this will allow me to take a low level shots much easier without hurting my back )
Sony A77 has it and its weathersealed too. I am sure its possible for the K3 to have it. But considering the resistance of Pentax to swivel screens thus far...

08-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #113
Banned

Keep the body!

Well for me I still would like that the K-3 is just an update for the K-5 (like that was from K-7 to K-5) with a 16 megapixelsensor, updated AF-module and new processor. There is nothing wrong with the body that I now use since july 2009 and I'm willing to walk around with it for another two years.
08-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #114
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well for me I still would like that the K-3 is just an update for the K-5 (like that was from K-7 to K-5) with a 16 megapixelsensor, updated AF-module and new processor. There is nothing wrong with the body that I now use since july 2009 and I'm willing to walk around with it for another two years.
+1 to that, though I wouldn't object to a few more MP, just to make it easier for careless photographers like me to crop out some crap. I'd add only a two-stage (or even three) AF Adjustment feature, so that zooms can be adjusted to different levels at different zoom ranges.
08-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

And I thought I was the only one and there was something wrong with me (there still could be) but I really, really don't like what looks like theater smoke coming down a mountain. Water should look like water in my opinion and there are different ways to portray this. A babbling brook should not look like a white slime pit because this would contradict the very word "babbling brook". Water should remain identifiable as water.

Still some people like and that's fine with me.

Greetings
It has been done so many times by so many photographers that it is next to impossible to create a show shutter water/waterfall image that offers something new/different/original. Instead of finding new things and ways to capture, images people seem to focus or recreating cliches.
08-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I would like to see a bigger OVF with better magnification and 2 SD card slots. They can keep the width and profile the same to keep using the K-5 grip, but I would like to see some improvements that require some body modifications.

Maybe two image processors and the 24MP sensor. From what I have seen on tests I think Pentax can get much better performance out of the 24MP than Sony, and probably exceed the 16MP performance.

The better AF system is number 1 on my list though. It is a good system and coming from a Canon 5D (original) is it an improvement, but I still want better. Smaller, faster, more accurate AF points so that fast glass isn't so frustrating.
08-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #117
Banned

I would like to see a bigger OVF with better magnification and 2 SD card slots. They can keep the width and profile the same to keep using the K-5 grip, but I would like to see some improvements that require some body modifications.

Maybe two image processors and the 24MP sensor. From what I have seen on tests I think Pentax can get much better performance out of the 24MP than Sony, and probably exceed the 16MP performance.

The better AF system is number 1 on my list though. It is a good system and coming from a Canon 5D (original) is it an improvement, but I still want better. Smaller, faster, more accurate AF points so that fast glass isn't so frustrating.
Well I would like Pentax to make two camera's. The one with two cardslots and two processors and 24mp can sit nicely above the K-3 with a new body and keeping the K-3 a fairly cheap camera in the same body as the K-5.

Making two different sets of electronics (one with one PRIME M for K-01, K-30 and K-3 and one with two image processors for APS-C topcamera, K-1 (FF camera) and 645Dii) makes it possible to divert the camera's from eachother. Remember that electronics cost money and most Pentax users buy when they have a choice the cheaper camera with only one image processor and complain about that for a few years.

I guess that a K-5n (updated K-5, 16mp PRIME M and some updates) will be like 300$ cheaper then the upgraded K-3 (new body, double PRIME M, 24mp, dual cardslot). There is a market for both.
08-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds good Ron But I wish they would remove the Movie Mode from It also.
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

Better give up on that dream, Gulfer. Video is here to stay, and it doesn't hurt you at all if you don't want to use it.
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Smaller, faster, more accurate AF points so that fast glass isn't so frustrating.
Now that's what we really need in the next Pentax DSLR. I'd also add to this additional points, 11 isn't enough.

It has been done so many times by so many photographers that it is next to impossible to create a show shutter water/waterfall image that offers something new/different/original. Instead of finding new things and ways to capture, images people seem to focus or recreating cliches.
The slow waterfall has been done, and many of them are pretty ubiquitous. But when I wrote about slowing the water with an extremely low ISO I was thinking more of MikeSF's pictures posted here of the Bay. They easily stand out above all the others in my opinion. Also take Twitch's moving cloud photos into consideration. They are exceptional.

Last edited by builttospill; 08-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.