Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well for me I still would like that the K-3 is just an update for the K-5 (like that was from K-7 to K-5) with a 16 megapixelsensor, updated AF-module and new processor. There is nothing wrong with the body that I now use since july 2009 and I'm willing to walk around with it for another two years.
Nah, Pentax needs to release a new body. Maybe they can keep it the same size so it continues to work with the existing grip, but you really don't want to walk around with a K-3 missing the lens release button for another two years do you?

Last edited by builttospill; 08-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.
08-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #122
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Nah, Pentax needs to release a new body. Maybe they can keep it the same size so it continues to work with the existing grip, but you really don't want to walk around with a K-3 missing the lens release button for another two years do you?
never lost mine
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Pentax must have video in their cameras if they wish to sell gear to the professional photographers and/or the younger generation - who are more into it than us older folks - i think. Also, the theater that i do volunteer work for is using more video on their website and promo materials.

Its nice to see the K30 benefit from some AF work, and i suspect that the Ricoh camera engineers that were added to the staff might result in enough numbers to make a difference in this area. Progress is a small step by step process.
08-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its nice to see the K30 benefit from some AF work, and i suspect that the Ricoh camera engineers that were added to the staff might result in enough numbers to make a difference in this area. Progress is a small step by step process.
I'd expect no less than a leap this time in terms of AF.
It's been the most serious issue with Pentax bodies. So it surely was priority #1.

08-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
I'd expect no less than a leap this time in terms of AF.
It's been the most serious issue with Pentax bodies. So it surely was priority #1.
The only problem with that thought is the lenses...

It looks like the diffractive optics in the PDAF might well have put the tunsgten light/FF thing to bed, but the top of the line DA* lenses still have failure prone SDM focus that is just too slow.

I predict that if we do not see lens updates with the new body, we will still be seeing AF complaints, albeit probably not about FF in tungsten light.

Ray
08-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote

I predict that if we do not see lens updates with the new body, we will still be seeing AF complaints, albeit probably not about FF in tungsten light.

Ray
We will se AF complaints regardless of how it performs!
08-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Pentax must have video in their cameras if they wish to sell gear to the professional photographers and/or the younger generation - who are more into it than us older folks - i think. Also, the theater that i do volunteer work for is using more video on their website and promo materials.

They should aim for amazing video performance. I'm sure lots of videographers would love to have a look at it considering all the great manual primes we have, it would also take some market share away from the 5D.

08-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
The only problem with that thought is the lenses...

It looks like the diffractive optics in the PDAF might well have put the tunsgten light/FF thing to bed, but the top of the line DA* lenses still have failure prone SDM focus that is just too slow.

Ray
Sure, SDM is a pressing issue, too. With AF, there are a few things that need to be worked on before you adress the lens issues, though. No point in keeping a bug-free >two year old AF that's okay for mid range but nowhere near what the top range of the competition can do -- just to release reliable lenses. Especially considering that a lot of lenses do work just fine.

Have you ever tested the 5DIII's AF? Or "just" the 7D? Nikon's D4 can focus reliably at f/8.
SAFOX IXi+ AF-C is nowhere near that. Not in terms of speed, nor in terms of features.

Canon and Nikon also have some very slow lenses, especially the more affordable ones. Just think of the 100-400L for Canon.
08-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Nikon's D4 can focus reliably at f/8.
SAFOX IXi+ AF-C is nowhere near that. Not in terms of speed, nor in terms of features.
Nor in terms of price
08-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #130
Banned

Have you ever tested the 5DIII's AF? Or "just" the 7D? Nikon's D4 can focus reliably at f/8.
Don't think we expect Pentax to compete on this level, but beeing faster would be great. With AF-C it could make some good steps forward.
08-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Don't think we expect Pentax to compete on this level, but beeing faster would be great. With AF-C it could make some good steps forward.
Why shouldn't they get there? Pentax AF might be a few years back, but so is the release of the last top range camera. They've worked on something in recent times .

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nor in terms of price
The 7D is only slightly more expensive than the K5, is it not?
08-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #132
Banned

The 7D is only slightly more expensive than the K5, is it not?
Depending on the market. 7D = 1349 euro and K-5 739 euro. So the 7D is 82,5 % more expensive then the K-5. I guess that having more advanced electronics (dual PRIME M and stuff) would cost 300 euro. Investing 100 euro in a new AF-module would be great, but the camera is going to be more expensive then we are used to with Pentax K-5. The question is wheater the market want Pentax to be in that pricerange?
08-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #133
Pentaxian

The 7D is not a D4
Indeed, Ron is right; more expensive hardware is required, i.e. a more complex AF module with its dedicated processor (to handle more AF points, the 7D has one) - and this will increase the price. But let's say a higher end (compared to the K-5) K-mount camera is plausible (not necessarily at Photokina ).
I'd say Pentax Ricoh is not satisfied with only the K-5 level, and they will move forward. D4 level, though, I don't believe is on their reach right now.
08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #134
gtl
Veteran Member

looking at the K30, I really think pentax will up their game for the K5 replacement. Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to go K3 over K30. And where they can really differentiate between the 2 is in AF system. Of course the better build counts for something, but its definitely not worth the extra $700. Of course this is purely my speculation and one has to wonder if Ricoh managed to work their magic in the short time they have taken over.
08-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too was surprised at how close the K30's functionality and capabilities are to the K5. The K5 replacement is going to have to be something more -
  • Pentax has been lagging in the AF area for quite a while, and the K30 shows that they are doing some work there.
  • Flash - even though I don't us it, would probably be another area that they could show improvement.
  • The other day I read a thread on the Tethering capability coming out for the 645D. Since the 645D has essentially the guts of a K5, I would suspect to see that capability provided.
  • ISO 50 would be another area. Pushing higher ISO beyond what they have shown I think is problematic, however if they were to increase demonstrate increased IQ with lower noise within the current ISO range, then that would certainly be a very large plus.
But this is all speculation on my part. Folks who know are not talking - and folks who are talking certainly don't know.... and I am squarely in the latter group.

For me the K5 has just about everything. Focus peaking would be nice, but I can work around it with live view's zoom feature. Tethering in the K5 would be nice, too. But, I am very satisfied. Not what Pentax wants to hear. I feel no overriding compunction to run out now and buy a new body. I guess that is the challenge to Pentax. To come out with a new body so overwhelmingly compelling so as to have everyone feel the absolute need to upgrade.