Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 replacement

Had an interesting talk with someone who knows.The future 24 mp replacement which will be delayed about 6 months or so.Expect a re-release of the K5 as a K5 II or something like that.He was disappointed that Canon and Nikon will have the jump on them but was confident the new model to be won`t disappoint.He did give me a chance to try out the pentax Q which took amazing clear pictures which he said contradicts the nay sayers who look at the size of the sensor and dismiss without trying it.I was impressed.As he knows I`m an astronomer he told me about pentax`s astronomy add on (only for the K5 I believe) that will track the stars while mounted on a fixed tripod.It does this by moving the sensor inside the camera body.I don`t know how long it tracks for, just depends on the range of motion it has but on the K5 with its high ISO abillities it should produce amazing wide angle shots of the night sky without having to purchase a telescope mount if you don`t already have one.I hadn`t heard about this before so if anyone else has maybe they can explain it a bit better.Don`t expect too much web content from pentax in the future,they want to put their resources into buiding great cameras instead of battling rumors or at least up here in Canada.I felt good after that pentax was moving in a direction that will keep me as a supporter( though budget wise I just can`t afford the lastest but will snap up a K5 when the newer model appears...my K10 serves me well).Keep the faith...good things are coming

08-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I doubt this 'news' is true frankly. Pentax released both the K-01 & K-30 within a short time frame so I cannot see a reason to delay the K-5 replacement for 6 months.
08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Full-frame is where the whole DSLR industry is heading IMO...I hope Pentax follows suit with such a model within the coming year, now that even point-and-shoot cameras are being made with APS-C sensors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

I may change my opinion, but presently I just want the best quality 1.5 sensor I can find. I have bought the glass I have in my kit to correspond with the 1.5 crop factor. Perhaps if I ever switch to a full frame sensor I will change my mind.

08-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The features of a K-30 are almost 'all you need' for an APS-C camera. I can't see a K-5 replacement being released at 3x the price of the K-30 though and will suggest there will be a K-02 released as well at around the same price as the k-5 replacement AND that a space is being reserved at a higher price for a FF. You can get a K-30 body from eGlobal for A$650 right now.
08-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

why does everyone think/seem so focused on a K-02 coming so quick after the K-01. The K-01 hasn't even been out for a year yet....
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I hope a K-02 comes out soon. Not to beat a well-dead horse, but a couple tweaks like a tilt screen and the option of an external viewfinder would make a huge difference. But... I think it would make sense for Pentax to release a new APS-C based compact system (new mount, lenses) instead, and then focus on FF for the DSLR side.

I would be okay with a K5 with 24mpx APS-C sensor, if they don't have the same corner issues that Sony seems to have in their implementation. Not sure if it is the AA filter, microlenses, diffraction or what.

08-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
why does everyone think/seem so focused on a K-02 coming so quick after the K-01. The K-01 hasn't even been out for a year yet....
For the same reason that people want a K-5 replacement so soon after the K-30.
08-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The features of a K-30 are almost 'all you need' for an APS-C camera. I can't see a K-5 replacement being released at 3x the price of the K-30 though and will suggest there will be a K-02 released as well at around the same price as the k-5 replacement AND that a space is being reserved at a higher price for a FF. You can get a K-30 body from eGlobal for A$650 right now.
I agree.
There also seems to be some stagnation on sensor performance wrt APS-C.
Canon is still stuck with the 18mp since 550D and the Sony 16mp has proliferated over the past 2yrs to many models.
The Sony 24mp seems to be a trade off here and there.
In fact, Nikon offering it on the D3200 seems to suggest that Nikon has dismissed it as 'fit for entry level'

I'd welcome a half year delay if it means the new K-? will be much improved over a K5 in AF, sensor, features.
It may impact Pentax negatively though for a short period as some loose faith and migrate or laymen opt for the latest of cameras thinking that newer is better.

Anyway, its just a rumor....
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
I hope a K-02 comes out soon. Not to beat a well-dead horse, but a couple tweaks like a tilt screen and the option of an external viewfinder would make a huge difference. But... I think it would make sense for Pentax to release a new APS-C based compact system (new mount, lenses) instead, and then focus on FF for the DSLR side.
My main complaint with K-01 is the weight. If they can make the K-02 100g lighter I'll dump my m43 system and forget about the EOS-M.
08-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If a replacement for the K5 don't come out soon, my replacement may be the SD1 with the X3 sensor (well, not a replacement for my K5 just another body to do some specialty stuff with)...
08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Brian, that "astronomy add on" you mention was already released last year.

ASTROTRACER | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
08-03-2012, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We absolutely need more threads like this one.
08-03-2012, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Veteran Member

I appreciate the info.. even if just rumors at this point.

However, I'm wondering if you would be willing to break your thoughts into paragraphs in the future? It is rather hard to read a wall of text.
08-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
I enjoy the APS-C cameras, I have a K10D and K-7. I hope to buy a Tamron 10-24mm for my super wide. Should the FF come out, and I hope it does, I'm ready with lenses such as my Pentax 15mm f/3.5. Sometimes it's been difficult, but sticking with pentax has allowed me to save a ton of money because of lens compatibility, and now I can handle whatever way they go. That said, bring on the FF, Pentax-Ricoh.