Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I wonder more about the future of the Q? If they could get it closer to my X10 with an OVF or EVF and a little larger sensor, I might be a buyer. I like what I see from the Q, but a viewfinder is a must have for me......although I hear that Sony Rx100 "White dots' screen works in bright light...but I'd have to see it to believe it?

Pinhole.....Those are excellent shots!

Regards!
Thanks.
The lack of OVF is not that big a deal to me.
When I want to use it in pns mode, I can do w/o a viewfinder.

During the times that I use it in macro/super tele mode, I opt for a LCD loupe, with does the job better than a small EVF and its also more fitting to the form factor (ie. quirky-large)

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Is that a single shot or the results of a focus stack?
This is a single shot with a F100/2.8 macro.

08-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
It is already 4-5 months late right now :-(
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
That's due to the transition from Hoya to Ricoh. Be assured, you wouldn't have wanted a K5-successor five months ago .
Yeah, that's pretty much why nothing really has come out yet (even the K-5 replacement). It'll take a while for Ricoh to look over everything they aquired and to add any improvements to whatever they got.
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #63
Pentaxian

And if they make the K-5 replacement as good as Nikon's D700 or Canon's EOS Mark 2 or close to it on a aps sensor for around $1600, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
And if they make the K-5 replacement as good as Nikon's D700 or Canon's EOS Mark 2 or close to it on a aps sensor for around $1600, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
As "good" as the "EOS Mark 2"? Do you mean the 5DII? That would be terrible. The AF is just bad, and so are the FPS

08-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As "good" as the "EOS Mark 2"? Do you mean the 5DII? That would be terrible. The AF is just bad, and so are the FPS
Add to that list that the K-5 has better DR, at least at moderate ISO settings!
08-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Pentax Q: 98 x 58 x 31 mm.
Olympus XA: 102 x 65 x 40 mm.

Not quite the same size, but pretty darn close.
The Oly XA has a mount?
08-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oly XA has a mount?
I wish.

But everytime I use my XA, I do think about the Q. A QXA would be ideal.

And probably sell millions.

08-07-2012, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

I thought that buying Nikon D800E and a few lenses would put me out of my misery but alas that has not happened. Pentax has become a soap opera on these forums and I am addicted. Photokina is my last hope to propitiate this monster.
08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #69
Pentaxian

yeah, my bad that's what I ment, the 5DII. They just have so many camera's out it's hard to remember what the newest one is called haha
08-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I thought that buying Nikon D800E and a few lenses would put me out of my misery but alas that has not happened. Pentax has become a soap opera on these forums and I am addicted. Photokina is my last hope to propitiate this monster.
LOL...must be nice to have the money to even consider both the 800E and a possible K-5 successor!

By the way, how is the 800E working for you? Obviously, the IQ is otherworldly, but how is the handling and AF?
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I wish.

But everytime I use my XA, I do think about the Q. A QXA would be ideal.
Yeah, not surprised

But to get back to the post I quoted, did anybody think that an XA with a mount would not get significantly deeper ?
Oh, did the XA have LCD screen on its back ?
08-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #72

If Pentax does come out with a FF DSLR and the price is up there with the D800, they better upgrade their AF if they expect to sell them. Right now my old D700 has AF that is so far superior to my K5 that there is really no contest.

I do love my Pentax gear, which is why I am still using two systems, but the AF frustrates me constantly, so much so that I use MF many times with constantly moving subjects.
08-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
LOL...must be nice to have the money to even consider both the 800E and a possible K-5 successor!

By the way, how is the 800E working for you? Obviously, the IQ is otherworldly, but how is the handling and AF?

Tackling this question while the other guy is away...

I love the AF. The continuous AF is awesome. The handling isnt as bad as I thought. Its just heavy. But the button and layout for the important parts to me is just fine. I am not an expert in camera layouts because I usually only want : aperture control, iso, shutter, auto focus, and viewing results...everything else is icing to me, and as long as I know where these buttons are, I am fine.

Actually, IQ i have a little issue with - I have the E version. I love pentax colours. I love, love pentax colours. I feel that there is more I need to do in post with nikon colours, that comes out initially flat. Sure, working in raw and all that - but every company has their own formula for raw settings, and pentax default makes me happy.

Details : Awesome....errr...so awesome in fact, I was taking a picture of a couple who had some freckles, moles , etc...normal, gorgeous girl. The details were popping so well that it took freckles into the next level. I find that when I use harsh light on a person now, i have to ...soften their skin back quite a bit. Otherwise they will think they had a breakout or something. I was looking at pores on this one guy's face - and looking at each individual tiny, shaven beard at its root.
So uh...maybe its not so awesome afterall! LoL.

On a different note, i was standing some 9 feet away from a butterfly 1 inch across, took aim with 70-200, and it was awesome. So ...depends on where you use these detailed capabilities.

Noise - while I think the FF is better in the noise department, I feel that my K5 actually performs better. Its a subjective opinion. I look at the picture and go...hm, i kind of think my K5 is brighter than that, or less noisy. But, i never did a comparison.

Flash commander mode...awesome. if you have multiple flashes..they are expensive. for a specific distance I dont need popper or cactus or wizard or whatever anymore. its so easy to set it in camera...go to menu, set the power of each flash, and off you go.

At the end of the day though, I love my pentax colours. I just wish that the AF was as fast. There is nothing more frustrating than a model or client whose smile froze. Or in the case of a running piggybacking scene I did where the couple ran between me and my second shooter - where she had a K5 and I had a D800E, and she had one in the batch that was almost on focus, and I had the exact opposite in my batch.

Pity too...because after i looked at the files my second shooter was taking the scene at a better angle and I wish we could use her picture instead.

If pentax comes with a Full Frame I may use it as a main though, thats how important I think colours are.
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
If Pentax does come out with a FF DSLR and the price is up there with the D800, they better upgrade their AF if they expect to sell them.
Pentax holds a great number of FF Pentax lens owners as "hostage". They could bring something worse and more expensive than the D800 and a third of the users this forum represents would still buy one.
08-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #75
gtl
Veteran Member

All this raving about the Nikon D800 has me very tempted. Until I think about the weight.... I have handled a D700 before, wonder if the D800 100g difference is significant.