Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
No, it was a joke. I don't have a lens release problem and I've never owned a K-5.
Ouch, sorry I missed that

08-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant and completely correct as always, Pål...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually manual focus is faster than any AF on the planet except for moving subjects. Manual focus is instinctive. AF is an complex process: First you have to decide what you want in focus. Then you have to choose between AF-S or AF-C. Then you have to select AF mode (manual AF point selection or auto). Then AF point if you do not choose auto point selection (where you risk that the camera select the wrong point). Or, alternatively use the central point and recompose. Then you have to press the AF button or the shutter release to activate AF and see if the camera indeed focus where you want it. The fact that some use this extremely roundabout method of focusing, that also waste batterypower, is incomprehensible (except for moving subjects). It is also inherently unprecise.
I also think that manual focus immediately make you a better photographer....
You can be sure that 95% of AF "errors" are due to "erroneous" users.
A high resolution sensor; an AF system that isn't even close to sensor resolution; people shooting wide open with fast lenses without a clue of DOF or typical optical characteristics of very fast lenses (not very sharp wide open and rarely sharp in the corners); a user base where many have problems operating a P&S is a sure recipe for disasters. I'll bet most cameras Nikon get back is nothing wrong with.
always love your insights into things. And completely correct - having trouble focussing? Try turning the damn thing OFF! Duh.....It's like these guys shooting at 300mm indoors at iso 200 and wondering why their camera equipment is 'blurry', why the stabilization sucks so bad, or if they've got a 'bad copy' of a lens or something...

Cheers,
Cameron
08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
why the stabilization sucks so bad, or if they've got a 'bad copy' of a lens or something...
I've seen new users bokeh-ddicted wondering about this; shooting with their great 70-200's wide open and 200m handheld indoors, and saying still not sharp enough, must get the L version )
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #154
Veteran Member

You can be sure that 95% of AF "errors" are due to "erroneous" users.
I think it's higher than 95%...

08-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I don't have a lot of experience with SDM lenses, but I think that is a big problem with the AF speed. I tested the Sigma 50mm on both a 7D and K-7 than now on a K-5. I also tested the DA* 55mm on the K-7. The DA* 55mm was slow on the K-7 compared to the Sigma 50mm F/1.4. I have used a 7D with a Sigma 50mm and I own it for my K-5. The difference between the K-5 and 7D with a Sigma HSM lens is very small.

I think Pentax needs to improve SDM considerably to make it more accurate/consistent and faster.
08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't have a lot of experience with SDM lenses, but I think that is a big problem with the AF speed. I tested the Sigma 50mm on both a 7D and K-7 than now on a K-5. I also tested the DA* 55mm on the K-7. The DA* 55mm was slow on the K-7 compared to the Sigma 50mm F/1.4. I have used a 7D with a Sigma 50mm and I own it for my K-5. The difference between the K-5 and 7D with a Sigma HSM lens is very small.

I think Pentax needs to improve SDM considerably to make it more accurate/consistent and faster.
Yep. This is indeed THE problem with Pentax AF IMO. To be cvompletely fair, the DA*55 has not been optimized for speed. This is no excuse, merely a data point.
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I think it's higher than 95%...
I found out most of my af errors on de K10d were due to backfocus. Had to download "hacked" firmware to correct that.

08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #158
Banned

The DA*55 will always be slow because of the larger trow in focussing.
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I found out most of my af errors on de K10d were due to backfocus. Had to download "hacked" firmware to correct that.
That can be found pretty quick using MF through the finder - four shots on MF, four shots off AF would be FF/BF issue.
08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
That can be found pretty quick using MF through the finder - four shots on MF, four shots off AF would be FF/BF issue.
First you have to know such a problems exists. (and you won't unless you search the internet) Today with live view, camera's should automatically calibrate lenses.
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
First you have to know such a problems exists. (and you won't unless you search the internet) Today with live view, camera's should automatically calibrate lenses.
I have wondered why this feature has no yet been implemented. It would not be a huge deal to create auto-micro-focus adjustment for cameras. There is a question regarding the AF consistency of the lenses and drive systems, but the AF micro-adjustment should be automated.
08-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #162
Pentaxian

I have wondered why this feature has no yet been implemented. It would not be a huge deal to create auto-micro-focus adjustment for cameras. There is a question regarding the AF consistency of the lenses and drive systems, but the AF micro-adjustment should be automated.
Throw in electronic focus screen adjustment (via mini stepper motor or piezo actuator) to replace the shims, and I'm sold.

Alas, this can't easily be automated, so it will require some user participation.
08-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Throw in electronic focus screen adjustment (via mini stepper motor or piezo actuator) to replace the shims, and I'm sold.

Alas, this can't easily be automated, so it will require some user participation.
Set the camera on a tripod with a focus target and let it go. The camera can focus in PDAF and then lift the mirror and use CDAF to check accuracy and adjust micro-adjust. You would have to set it up, but the camera should be able to switch between the two and adjust calibration.
08-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #164
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote

Focus stacking mode.. auto micro-adjustments and automatic focus stacking in-body for macro photography. I'd like that... provided it functioned properly.
08-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The slow waterfall has been done, and many of them are pretty ubiquitous. But when I wrote about slowing the water with an extremely low ISO I was thinking more of MikeSF's pictures posted here of the Bay. They easily stand out above all the others in my opinion. Also take Twitch's moving cloud photos into consideration. They are exceptional.
I'm a little late to the comments but great points! I'm all for lower ISO, for a whole number of reasons, one of which is to combat Pentax's slower flash sync speed of 1/180.