Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax back at Houston Camera Exchange

Just saw an email from Houston Camera Exchange, a large, independent camera store in Houston (obviously). They're carrying Pentax again featuring the K30 and the waterproof Optios. They've been absent from HCE for the past few years, and before that they were that big. Of course they feature the big two, and Sony. I haven't been in a while so not sure what else they carry, but I'll have to go vote with my wallet for something Pentax-related.

08-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's good news. I hope we see more of this around the country. My brother is in Houston so I end up out there from time to time.

I was just commenting in another thread that I don't know of any Pentax DSLR dealers in Denver, or Colorado for that matter. A sorry scenario, if you ask me, being that PRIC headquarters is in Denver. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about there not being any shops that carry Pentax DSLRs in the Denver area.
08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Just saw an email from Houston Camera Exchange, a large, independent camera store in Houston (obviously). They're carrying Pentax again featuring the K30 and the waterproof Optios. They've been absent from HCE for the past few years, and before that they were that big. Of course they feature the big two, and Sony. I haven't been in a while so not sure what else they carry, but I'll have to go vote with my wallet for something Pentax-related.
Maybe its because I kept calling and bugging the heck out of them

Hopefully its more because somebody from Ricoh/Pentax was actually making real marketing moves...
08-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Mjm

DenverProShop carries Pentax. They recently carried them to help promote their new store location.

08-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Mjm

oops meant Denver Pro Photo.
08-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thats cool, will have to go check that place out when I go to houston this labor day. I can dump the wife at the galleria and go there since it looks like it is a few blocks away.

P.S. It would be cool if there were a section of the site to post local camera shops that carry or specialize in pentax gear
08-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Maybe its because I kept calling and bugging the heck out of them

Hopefully its more because somebody from Ricoh/Pentax was actually making real marketing moves...
Well, both would help, so thanks for the calls. I must admit I never asked them after the first time a few years ago.

08-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Thats cool, will have to go check that place out when I go to houston this labor day. I can dump the wife at the galleria and go there since it looks like it is a few blocks away.

P.S. It would be cool if there were a section of the site to post local camera shops that carry or specialize in pentax gear
It's a nice store and you can spend an hour or so there, but don't expect a lot of Pentax gear. Before they stopped carrying them, they just had a small section. I asked the manager and he was pretty honest. He said he liked the Pentax stuff, but it was just much safer from a business standpoint to push the big two. He mentioned how he was burned pushing Minolta in the past, so I can see his point of view.

Still, it's a nice independent store. Another one is Houston Camera Coop, but they're several miles away, and they've never carried Pentax that I've seen.
08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mjm Quote
DenverProShop carries Pentax. They recently carried them to help promote their new store location.
oops meant Denver Pro Photo.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I didn't know about their new location. I've been out of town for a while. Sorry to hijack this thread with a different topic.
08-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I will have to say that I shared my experience of the K-5 with the people in the store...I told them flat out that they were missing the boat.

I wasn't irate or anything---just when asked I told them how I ended up buying a K-5. Maybe it sunk in.

Haven't been to camera co-op yet.
08-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Mjm

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I didn't know about their new location. I've been out of town for a while. Sorry to hijack this thread with a different topic.
No problem. Also Mogil at the Mountains in steamboat springs carry Pentax also.
Sorry for the thread hijack.

I guess for Texas stores, San Antonio and Arlington carries Pentax also. Can't remember the store names at the moment.
08-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess for Texas stores, San Antonio and Arlington carries Pentax also. Can't remember the store names at the moment.
I will be in San Antonio for work for a week, maybe I will have to investigate while I'm there. !
08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Mjm

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
I will be in San Antonio for work for a week, maybe I will have to investigate while I'm there. !
San Antonio Camera Exchange
There we go.
08-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

San Antonio Camera Exchange
There we go.
Thanks! I will see if I can stop by!
08-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

There's a shop in Jackson (can't remember the name but just along from the Million Dollar Bar) that had an awesome collection of Pentax stuff when i was there last year.