Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Si?

Pentax

I'm assuming this is a designer just showing what he can do, but he has the Pentax brand pasted rather prominently. I wonder if it was just a design exercise, why put a brand on it? Does anyone know anything about this?

08-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Looks like something you'd get in Ikea maybe. But personally, thats much worse than the K-01.
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating! I find it less weird than the K-01.
08-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The more I look at this, the more I'm convinced this isn't real and the more I believe he'll be in trouble with Pentax. There's no compartment for the battery or memory card. It's also too big. As a design concept, you don't have to worry about details like it being functional. Are the shots being held by a hand photoshop mockups? Did he actually build a box and then paste a lens on it?

08-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lol, if I had bothered to read his about me it is obvious its a design project, he's still in school! Never mind, nothing to see here...
08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, it looks very much like a university design project.

Universities often get students to choose a brand and create an imaginary product and marketing campaign etc around it.

I think when I did my degree I had to develop a marketing technique and campaign for Adidas.
08-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Fascinating! I find it less weird than the K-01.
Agreed. Here's the digital Spotmatic or K1000 (without the VF) everyone's been asking for. It's simple, functional and doesn't look weird like the K-01. It's the digital brick like film bricks of old.

08-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it's breath-takingly gorgeous...

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
Pentax

I'm assuming this is a designer just showing what he can do, but he has the Pentax brand pasted rather prominently. I wonder if it was just a design exercise, why put a brand on it? Does anyone know anything about this?
Pentax is DEFINITELY moving upmarket...this is stunning.

Build it, Pentax (if you're not already).

Cheers,
Cameron
08-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Awesome!! Put a Full Frame Sensor Inside!!

This is an amazing design. I realize that reality may be a bit different, much as the production car is different from the design exercise demonstrated during the car show, but the basic thought is great.

Could you imagine this as a full frame camera capable of awesome images? No one would have anything like it. This is exactly what Pentax needs to step out in front of everyone. A "Q", now an "Si".

I agree that is is likely nothing but a marketing student's design exercise for a school project but it is very well laid out. Simplicity is always best.
08-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it a nice design, of course being academic project it doesn't have to incorporate any practical issues of real camera designers....but with some tweaks for increased functionality it would be very nice compact from pentax.
K-01 is ugly (to me, and I'm fan of Newson's other work) but it is result of real life problems the designer has to put into his design, therefore it is not fair to compare it to this Si, IMHO
anyway i really like it...it has some simple elegance like that of MX
08-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
Lol, if I had bothered to read his about me it is obvious its a design project, he's still in school! Never mind, nothing to see here...
It doesn't matter. Half of us will (virtually) lynch Pentax for making (!!) this silly looking camera, the other half would ask if it will have a FF sensor inside.
08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I think when I did my degree I had to develop a marketing technique and campaign for Adidas.
That reminds me, I did one for Canon. Ah, if I only knew about Pentax back then.

about the topic...

Andrew Kim (the designer I think, since his name's at the bottom of the page) made a great minimalist design scheme here, with only the flash part looking odd to my eyes. My first impression of it was a bulk-ified Q, mixed with the old Asahi Pentax chrome-on-black flavor. I'm sure he had some ergonomics on his mind too as he took the initiative to put "indentations" on the parts where the thumb and left-hand index finger go to.

I'm guessing if he designed an FF or APS-C sensor to be inside it, the DA40XS will be the perfect kit for it. Problem with the XS series though, is that some of them in the future may contain protruding elements.

And finally, the name makes good, positive sense - Si means "yes" in Spanish, at least. I hope it does not make unpleasant meanings in other languages (at least in my native tongue, si can't be used without an antecedent, because it is used in conversations to point out a person e.g. "Kasama ko si James kanina" - I was with James earlier)
08-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

" Si " in some major province language eg Hokkien used in China,Taiwan,Malaysia and Singapore mean "dead". its a nonononono.
08-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I don't see what's so great about this. The built in flash has way too small an area and it's mounted so low that that lens hood would block a lot of its output. Then he put the exposure compensation dial and made it the centerpiece of the design. This thing does have AE, right? Is this just always like a camera in P mode with an giant exposure compensation dial? No control of aperture or shutter speed? Another focal point on the built in wrist strap. Who here uses wrist straps on such big cameras? And it's built in so you don't have to thread the thing the first time! ;-)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this strikes me as a design project from someone that doesn't actually use DSLRs or advanced cameras.
08-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Full Frame

I think that sensor is a CCD 24mp full frame sensor from Dalsa or so. Looks even pretty in yellow!