Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Yes, one thing that has been bothering me is that blue sky gradients seem to look less smooth with the K20D examples than with most K10D samples I have seen. Prime examples being the bridge shot on this site or beach wallpaper over at K20DƒXƒyƒVƒƒƒ‹ƒTƒCƒgbPENTAX (Amenity)
Appears to be JPEG compression artifacts - the bridge picture is only 1.5 MB - I.E. significantly compressed for web publication. That is even smaller than the 1 * JPEG 2MB quality straight from the camera.

When looking at the sky in that picture at 400% it is obvious we are looking at JPEG compression artifacts from post processing.

01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
Appears to be JPEG compression artifacts - the bridge picture is only 1.5 MB - I.E. significantly compressed for web publication. That is even smaller than the 1 * JPEG 2MB quality straight from the camera.

When looking at the sky in that picture at 400% it is obvious we are looking at JPEG compression artifacts from post processing.
Maybe you are right. I for one hope so as I plan to buy one (or a K10D) as soon they are thoroughly tested.

But why on earth would Pentax Japan put a heavily compressed JPEG as a promo desktop wallpaper?
01-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #18

QuoteQuote:
But why on earth would Pentax Japan put a heavily compressed JPEG as a promo desktop wallpaper?
Pentax seems to have poor marketing still... I REALLY hope those are indeed JPEG compression artefacts, not lower ISO noise... Everyone cares about 1600+, while personally I shoot most of my photos at ISO100-400. For me lower ISO noise is a killer
01-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
Pentax seems to have poor marketing still... I REALLY hope those are indeed JPEG compression artefacts, not lower ISO noise... Everyone cares about 1600+, while personally I shoot most of my photos at ISO100-400. For me lower ISO noise is a killer
Not all noise is created equal. Spatially correlated noise aka VPN and HPN can be a bugger to deal with. White gaussian noise can be either left in and disappear in the print or image resize or be easily removed with any number of noise removal utilities.