Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
Apart from the 450D, there is now the Sony A300 and A350. So for the same price as the K200D the A300 gives you:

- Live view with normal DSLR AF speed.
- unlimited JPG buffer, 6 RAW buffer (vs. 4 on K200D)
- kit lens to 70mm (vs. 55mm) quality is less, but majority of buyers won't know and think 70mm is better
- Tilting LCD
- Li-ion battery and charger

K200D:

- weather sealing
- better viewfinder
- top LCD
- RAW button and Sv mode

I'll state again I reckon 799,- for the K200D is not competitive in the 2008 market even if you don't take into account the disadvantage of Pentax low brand recognition. HOYA's high margin approach is all nice and dandy if you put in the resources to be competitive, if you don't you'll have to be satisfied with low retail prices or loose market share.
There are acoupl earuments I agree wit (even if I do not share the same conclusion) but some I do not agree with at all, mainly:

* kit lens: talking about low- end I di not think this has a big influence. Most people d not even know what 55 or 70mm means. And Sony kit lens is probably crap, indeed.

*Batteries: I think most people do not care, others think AA is nicer because you can find'em everywhere and you do not have to go everywhere with a silly charger.. It is a draw depending on personnal preference. Nothing else.

* I was comparing with 450D/60D, the 300/350 indeed changes the game a bit.

* as for liveview implementation, we'll see. Olympus did use a second sensor a well and it the implementation was crap.

* but the buffer issue is indeed a BIG stupid decision.

01-31-2008, 04:00 AM   #32

no top LCD me no buy..

this is absolutely essential, I can't understand why everyone except pentax is removing the top LCD.
01-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
I have seen the K10D at Amsterdam Schiphol airport at 528 EUR recently
Might be the tax free shop at Schiphol you're referring to? So with VAT that would be 628,- still a lot of camera for the money.

Everyone forgets that the quoted prices are RRP/MRSP, it's 8-9 weeks before the cameras arrive on the shelves and I guess they will be selling for less, and once the initial interest has died down prices will stabilise to a reasonable level...
Of course, but that goes for all brands, so for competitiveness sake you can somewhat compare MRSP.

I for one won't be waiting outside a camera shop on March 29th...it's folly (as we should all know) being the first ones to buy....
Yup.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There are acoupl earuments I agree wit (even if I do not share the same conclusion) but some I do not agree with at all, mainly:

* kit lens: talking about low- end I di not think this has a big influence. Most people d not even know what 55 or 70mm means. And Sony kit lens is probably crap, indeed.
Perhaps some don't know what 55 or 70mm will give them exactly in 35mm terms (some prolly don't know what 35mm equiv. means), but they do know that 18-70mm is more zoom than 18-55mm.

*Batteries: I think most people do not care, others think AA is nicer because you can find'em everywhere and you do not have to go everywhere with a silly charger.. It is a draw depending on personnal preference. Nothing else.
But what I'm suggesting is the best of both worlds, I'm not saying abandon the AA format, but I do think that for the vast majority charge keeping hybrid NiMH AA's with a charger will provide a superior product experience. Happy customers are returning customers.

* I was comparing with 450D/60D, the 300/350 indeed changes the game a bit.
I think when you compare current MSRP the K200D will struggle against the 450D and the Sony's, Nikon might sell a few 60D's on the basis of their brand name, but I expect they'll be cutting the MSRP sooner than the Canon and Sony.

* as for liveview implementation, we'll see. Olympus did use a second sensor a well and it the implementation was crap.
True, but in 2008 market it's better to have an implementation at all, I don't care too much for it, but seems to becoming the "must have" feature in 2008.

* but the buffer issue is indeed a BIG stupid decision.
I just hope they see their mistake and they can rectify it with a newer firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by incitatus Quote
no top LCD me no buy..

this is absolutely essential, I can't understand why everyone except pentax is removing the top LCD.
I reckon for a K***D no top LCD would be fine, for the others indeed it better stay.
01-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #34
Forum Member

[QUOTE=CSpronken;167416]Might be the tax free shop at Schiphol you're referring to? So with VAT that would be 628,- still a lot of camera for the money.
QUOTE]

No......in the electronics shop it's the price you pay - 528 euros... I bought my *istDL from SeeBuyFly 2 years ago and wasn't charged any more than the sticker price, and I was flying to Heathrow....

I will see tonight whether the cameras are still there...

01-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #35

No......in the electronics shop it's the price you pay - 528 euros... I bought my *istDL from SeeBuyFly 2 years ago and wasn't charged any more than the sticker price, and I was flying to Heathrow....

I will see tonight whether the cameras are still there...
I think you are referring to the shop in the link, which is a tax free shop: Foto, audio & elektronica

Here is a link to the legislation: Tax-free legislation

Last edited by CSpronken; 01-31-2008 at 06:39 AM.