Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #16
Forum Member

The D60 is on many things simulair on the K200D, but does miss a lot of things that the K200S does have. Like the things that are already said in this topic. I want to add to that that the D60 no not have an second LCD-screen on the top of the camera. I do not want an dslr-camera without that.
Overall is the K200D a better buy for someone who wants to buy him/her first dslr-camera. More options on it and cheaper. But Nikon is much bigger then Pentax, so it will get more attention. Is more available in shops... I think that the D60 will then sell better then the K200D. Sadly but true.

01-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Red

I thought Nikon would have put a body motor in the D60. Guess Nikon thinks only folks that will pony up for the aging D80 or above are interested in autofocus primes.
01-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
Overall is the K200D a better buy for someone who wants to buy him/her first dslr-camera. More options on it and cheaper. But Nikon is much bigger then Pentax, so it will get more attention. Is more available in shops... I think that the D60 will then sell better then the K200D. Sadly but true.
Also imagine typical not really informed customer trying out D60 and K200d in shop.

Tries to take a picture with K200D: ZZZZZZZZZZ-ZZZZZ *SMALL PAUSE* *SNAP*!

Tries D60: <quick silent focussing> *SNAP*!

Guess which camera customer will choose...
01-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #19

The k200d definitely the upgrade choice for me over the k20d. Although the buffer issue plaguees the k200, its vastly improved and i'm very impressed. So my upgrades for this year will be the k200d for my k100d and 40d for my rebel 350d.
I really hope they change their stance on the buffer though.

01-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote
I thought Nikon would have put a body motor in the D60.
I've been shocked if they went back to that. The plan is clearly to move to an all lens-based-motor focus system like Canon.

QuoteQuote:
Guess Nikon thinks only folks that will pony up for the aging D80 or above are interested in autofocus primes.
Given the sales of the D40 and D40x, that assumption has proved to be good enough to take to the bank. But that's not the end of it -- they will eventually replace their entire lens lineup, primes and all, with ultrasonic ring-motor versions. For primes, you've currently got only a few AF-S choices, but more will come. (And you can also get a wide range of Sigma lenses, including the 30mm f/1.4.)
01-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I thought Nikon would have put a body motor in the D60. Guess Nikon thinks only folks that will pony up for the aging D80 or above are interested in autofocus primes.
Well, the real schock would be if they'll do the same in the D90....
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Red

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I've been shocked if they went back to that. The plan is clearly to move to an all lens-based-motor focus system like Canon.

Given the sales of the D40 and D40x, that assumption has proved to be good enough to take to the bank. But that's not the end of it -- they will eventually replace their entire lens lineup, primes and all, with ultrasonic ring-motor versions. For primes, you've currently got only a few AF-S choices, but more will come. (And you can also get a wide range of Sigma lenses, including the 30mm f/1.4.)

Thanks Pentax for not following the herd. (yet? k2000d?)

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Well, the real schock would be if they'll do the same in the D90....
Completely agree.

01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks Pentax for not following the herd. (yet? k2000d?)
It seems an obvious way to reduce the size, weight, complexity, and cost of the body, so yeah, I bet we'll see it eventually. But not until the stable of SDM lenses is significantly expanded. I wonder if they can fit SDM in a pancake design....
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I wonder if they can fit SDM in a pancake design....
I don't see why not. They are the only ones who ever thought of selling pancake lenses in today's world of BIGGER IS BETTER. SDM is just a generation away.
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes I was very annoyed by the whining (or what I feel/felt was whining) with the K20/K200 introduction a couple days ago I prefered to stay away of it. But I wonder...
[*]D60 has "only" a 2.5" screen. K200 has a 2.7" one. Will people stop whining because no 3" screen?
Can you point me to the threads where people whine about the 3'' inch screen of the K200D, can't remember I've seen many.

QuoteQuote:
[*]On the price PoV I did not see a D60 introduction price. But the K200 supposedly so expensive at 800 euros (with 18-55 II) is competitve with 450D at 850 euros (with 18-55 IS)
I don't think the K200D is competitive with the 450D, especially when you consider brand name. Think the D60 is $649 compared to $799 of the K200D, looks competitive if you exclude brand name. Unfortunately we can't exclude brand name, the K10D and K100D were excellent value, but still couldn't gain a significant market share world wide. HOYA's step away from low margin will only make it harder short term. Long term it is okay but only if the cameras are competitive in all areas.

QuoteQuote:
[*] There are also acouple other differences like sealing, grip. Nikon has iso3200 etc[/LIST]
D60 is shipped with Li-ion battery with charger, but still doesn't have AE bracketing (bad Nikon).

QuoteQuote:
So what now, are you all (I'm targetting the unhappy ones here) still going to complain ? Or maybe you just wanna complain whatever the reason?
I love complaining, gives me such satisfaction (NOT), I just like Pentax do to well. I hope the criticism will lead them to release a firmware update to increase the JPG buffer on the K200D like suggested by someone in this thread. If they'd done that and shipped it with eneloop like batteries and a charger and kept it at 799,- it would be competitive (just) and the reviews would probably be quite favourable.
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Only 2 things that bug me about the K100D and the new K200D and that would be buffer size and no LI Batteries. Maybe they should have included a cartrigde that can have AAs inserted if need be. For those that have a K10D and want the K200D as a backup (which would be great) could find it useful to be able to use the same batteries in both cameras. For wedding photogs messing with AAs is annoying and they take to long to charge. The new LIs are much better and there are plenty of decent aftermarket ones now for cheap. Storing them is much easier because many of them come in handy little plastic containers.

Tim H
01-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
Maybe they should have included a cartrigde that can have AAs inserted if need be.
I've suggested thata few times myself - perfect sense if possible. Or, I think, Canon have a grip for the 400 that takes AAs, so you have the choice.
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
Only 2 things that bug me about the K100D and the new K200D and that would be buffer size and no LI Batteries. Maybe they should have included a cartrigde that can have AAs inserted if need be. For those that have a K10D and want the K200D as a backup (which would be great) could find it useful to be able to use the same batteries in both cameras. For wedding photogs messing with AAs is annoying and they take to long to charge. The new LIs are much better and there are plenty of decent aftermarket ones now for cheap. Storing them is much easier because many of them come in handy little plastic containers.

Tim H
Dunno about charge times for AA batteries, but depending on the charger you use, AAs can charge as fast as (at times even faster than) the standard Li-ion battery and charger set of most manufacturers.

In any case, the K200D isn't meant to be a pro's back-up, but more of a do-it-all cam for less demanding photographers. It even makes as a good travel cam, owing to the use of AAs.

I agree, though, that an adapter for AAs would be nice, but more for those using K10/20D's who want that flexibility.
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #29

Apart from the 450D, there is now the Sony A300 and A350. So for the same price as the K200D the A300 gives you:

- Live view with normal DSLR AF speed.
- unlimited JPG buffer, 6 RAW buffer (vs. 4 on K200D)
- kit lens to 70mm (vs. 55mm) quality is less, but majority of buyers won't know and think 70mm is better
- Tilting LCD
- Li-ion battery and charger

K200D:

- weather sealing
- better viewfinder
- top LCD
- RAW button and Sv mode

I'll state again I reckon 799,- for the K200D is not competitive in the 2008 market even if you don't take into account the disadvantage of Pentax low brand recognition. HOYA's high margin approach is all nice and dandy if you put in the resources to be competitive, if you don't you'll have to be satisfied with low retail prices or loose market share.

Last edited by CSpronken; 01-30-2008 at 02:11 PM.
01-31-2008, 03:19 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
I don't think the K200D is competitive with the 450D, especially when you consider brand name. Think the D60 is $649 compared to $799 of the K200D, looks competitive if you exclude brand name. Unfortunately we can't exclude brand name, the K10D and K100D were excellent value, but still couldn't gain a significant market share world wide. HOYA's step away from low margin will only make it harder short term. Long term it is okay but only if the cameras are competitive in all areas.

I love complaining, gives me such satisfaction (NOT), I just like Pentax do to well. I hope the criticism will lead them to release a firmware update to increase the JPG buffer on the K200D like suggested by someone in this thread. If they'd done that and shipped it with eneloop like batteries and a charger and kept it at 799,- it would be competitive (just) and the reviews would probably be quite favourable.
I wouldn't harp on about Pentax's low market share, as I haven't recently come across a situation when I've walked into a photo shop and seen stacks and stacks of unsold Pentax cameras....so Pentax aren't exactly saturating the market.."you want Pentax sir? It''s out of stock"

I have seen the K10D at Amsterdam Schiphol airport at 528 EUR recently

Everyone forgets that the quoted prices are RRP/MRSP, it's 8-9 weeks before the cameras arrive on the shelves and I guess they will be selling for less, and once the initial interest has died down prices will stabilise to a reasonable level...

I for one won't be waiting outside a camera shop on March 29th...it's folly (as we should all know) being the first ones to buy....