Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #151
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Or another saying saying "Anyone can use a hammer- but only an engineer knows how hard to hit it"
An engineer would take ten years of simulation and then hit at 1/80th of the required momentum.

08-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Seems like the K10D is the most beloved DSLR (that is digital) Pentax has ever made.
08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #153
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Seems like the K10D is the most beloved DSLR (that is digital) Pentax has ever made.

Flickr: The Pentax K5 vs. K10D Pool

Although I am a K5 user and I love it, I used to have a K200D, which I believe had the same sensor, and the colors where brilliant. Canīt say the same about the batteriesī life or the noise perfomance. I look at this comparison and the colors of K10D seem so warm and lovely, whereas the K5 seems to produce more detail, due to the MP count, but more grey photos at the same time
08-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
An engineer would take ten years of simulation and then hit at 1/80th of the required momentum.
Do I hear the sound of clogs hitting weaving looms?

09-02-2012, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

discontinued? my beloved k5? oh, no, the horror, the tragedy... ahem, wait, what?

i think somebody is confused, let me try to rephrase the "news"

"after about 2 years of excellent service, and effective (uninterrupted!) leadership in it's class, pentax seems to be ready to discontinue the mighty k-5"

between the lines (or words):

1. the k-5 is still considered by most "possibly the best aps-c dslr available today" (yes, even after 2 years, wow). of course there's room for improvement, and of course it's the sensor and how the pentax engineers managed to use this sony sensor which impresses most. there's also details like build quality, viewfinder, features, and so on, in it's class (and note this usually reads "the aps-c class"). this is not my opinion, many people say so, and few people can prove them wrong, note even our beloved dpreview in their still "infant" k30 review use the phrasing "arguably the best apsc dslr on the market" when referring to the k5...

2. pentax, although with no serious challenger in sight, in class, has been working on something better, and feels confident they can release something substantially better. personally, i'm shocked and, while i don't think i need anything more than the k-5 (except more time to use it), i can't help wonder, what do they have ready? consider: k10d to k20d (quite a step), k20d - k7, k7 - k5. every single time, it was "wow" from at least several points of view (k10 - k20: sensor and some features, k20 -k7, complete new body and features, k7 - k5, again sensor and some features). clearly they don't toy around with "slight upgrades and facelifts". what will it be now? i guess i'm a geek: though i know i don't need this new camera, whatever it brings, i'm still giddy as a kid before christmas.

3. pentax is so confident and/or so far along with this alleged new model that they believe 1. they don't need to keep the k5 in production (so they intend to replace it completely) 2. they believe current stocks are more than enough to cover the demand for the k5, by the time they can sell the new one (might they even have stock already?) 3. possibly, they believe "nobody" will want the k5 once they put it's young brother on the shelves (similar price, killer feature set?), so they can't be bothered to produce any more. (there's also a possible 4, aka 0: pentax doesn't intend to drop the release price so low as to compete in any way with the k-5, so they need pentaxians to "move along and forget about it", quite unlikely though, it would not make much business sense)

so where's the bad news? all possible logical speculation leads to good news. there's only one possible exception: there's no new camera, and in fact no pentax to speak of: this is the end, and we're witnessing "liquidation" (imho, quite unlikely).

having said all that, the k5 is still available basically everywhere in the world. it would be naive to think worldwide stocks are likely to run out in a few months.

so, what am i missing? my k-5 still takes great pictures (i wish i would, too), it still will in the near future (a few years). in fact, my oudated k20 is still great and i love it, which i realize is stupid because it's been discontinued years ago, so it can't be any good now (...). and pentax seems to be moving along (i mean, come on, after that k01, whatever they come up with, it must be really good, and no, the k30 is not enough to make up for it, on it's own ).
09-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Thanks, nanok, that was well-reasoned. Therefore, it's rare enough that it has collector value.

It's clear, at least to me, that the K-5 has no commercial place between the K-30 and a new body in the $1,200 range. Retailers want customers to have easy choices. If it's hard work to decide between X and Y, a good portion of customers will make no decision between them but will go in another direction.

In an ideal world, perhaps the K-5 has a home as a better-featured alternative to the K-30 at about the same price but a manufacturer of Pentax' size cannot flood the distribution channel with too many models. Look at the US: we cannot get anywhere close to the full range of body colors. From the maker's POV, the body and its spare parts create another inventory and distribution challenge.

In the short run, I'd look at scrapping the K-01 series (assuming more models are planned) and maybe keeping the K-5 for a while but I really don't see that happening.

As always, we'll just have to see what's coming in the next 12 months or so.
09-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm so far still underwhelmed by Pentax's lens department. I hope they also have plans to go head-to-head against the big boys in that area, in at least several popular lens FLs. Body-wise though, the cash is waiting!
09-03-2012, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #158
ogl
Pentaxian

K-5's replacement

09-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5's replacement
Wow, K-3, aps-c and 24MP and high end!

I hope they also bring a 16MP camera.
09-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #160
Pentaxian

What's the source? Pentaxforums, by chance?
09-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #161
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What's the source? Pentaxforums, by chance?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/193453-pentax-announce...ml#post2082519
11-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #162
Veteran Member

interestingly, from where i'm sitting, i was almost right: it appears at least the af of the new model is a leap forward. interestingly, i was wrong about one doubt: here, in europe, the price of the k5II is about 50usd (equivalent) more than the original k5 (same shop), and i recall the price of the k5 body before the II was available, it has not changed. wow, that is quite a statement. (don't ask about the premium for the IIs though)
11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #163
Veteran Member

K5II as cheap as K5

Hi same here in Denmark, the K5II is DKK 7000 and the K5 is DKK 6300 about $120 difference,too bad the K5IIs is about $270 more as I am considering switching to Pentax now its easier to choose,as it seems the K5II has better AF,so I hope better for birding...
11-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #164
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Still tempted by the IIs.
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #165
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Still tempted by the IIs.
Me also. Then again, the current price of a White K-01 got my attention to replace my m4/3 stuff.