Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
For all intents and purposes the K-30 is an entry level DSLR.
It's not an entry level camera. Never was intended to be.
The entry level is at <400$

08-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
It's not an entry level camera. Never was intended to be.
The entry level is at <400$
In your opinion. in my opinion It's entry level because it's the cheapest way to enter the Pentax ecosystem, which is the actual definition of "entry level" as their is no rule about $<400 as you suggest.
The cheapest way to enter the DSLR world in Pentax is the K-30 and thus it's the entry level model in the Pentax system, as their is no cheaper K-3000 entry level, and thus the cheapest model in the line-up is always entry level.

But feel free to argue semantics all you wish
08-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #63
Veteran Member

In your opinion. in my opinion It's entry level because it's the cheapest way to enter the Pentax ecosystem, which is the actual definition of "entry level" as their is no rule about $<400 as you suggest.
The cheapest way to enter the DSLR world in Pentax is the K-30 and thus it's the entry level model in the Pentax system, as their is no cheaper K-3000 entry level, and thus the cheapest model in the line-up is always entry level.

But feel free to argue semantics all you wish
So by your logic, Pentax currently has entry-, mid- and top-range all in one camera model: K30!?
And their entry level competes against the midrange of other brands. I see.
It's quite a stunt, though. The K30 is currently being tested against other entry level cameras. Surprise, surprise, there's no competition. That's good advertisment, is it not?

Let's talk again in 40 days or so :P.
08-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
So by your logic, Pentax currently has entry-, mid- and top-range all in one camera model: K30!?
No they only have an entry level, now that their semi-pro model has been discontinued.

QuoteQuote:
And their entry level competes against the midrange of other brands. I see.
That's correct unless Pentax wanted to dumb down their offering like the D3200 or 600d, and offer an even cheaper model.

QuoteQuote:
It's quite a stunt, though. The K30 is currently being tested against other entry level cameras. Surprise, surprise, there's no competition. That's good advertisment, is it not?
I just saw the Gizmodo review compare it to the D7000, and T4i that is quite a stunt but yes generally Pentax have always bettered the competition in bang for buck, they could always chuck a Canon and offer twenty different models that all have the same sensor, and just cripple the lower models, but thankfully Pentax have always been better than that.

QuoteQuote:
Let's talk again in 40 days or so :P.
I'm not expecting any lower model announcements at Photokina, so I don't think their would be much to talk about anyway.

Last edited by Freak; 08-14-2012 at 02:22 AM.
08-14-2012, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #65
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
3. Have a full frame camera geared towards professionals. This would however require adding quite a few more lenses to the line up (I think).
Fuji released their version of a rangefinder with only three lens', and look at how many they still have. Plus look at the features of the camera. The Fuji focusing system makes the Pentax K-01 look like a Ferrari.

My opinion is Pentax; if they wanted to, could enter a full frame with only existing lens', but... Perhaps also had plans on adding a few more. They have a few FA lens that could hold them for a while.

If companies such as Sigma, Sony, and Fuji are able to do it effectively - why not Pentax.
08-14-2012, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vale K5

The K5 is a great camera, a classic. Let us hope for the best from its APS-C successor. I am concerned though that the megapixels war will pressure Pentax into 24MP or similar at the expense of weaker high-ISO performance. That would be a retrograde step.

Let us not get too emotional about the K5's demise though: cameras are for taking pictures .... lenses are forever.
08-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Let us not get too emotional about the K5's demise though: cameras are for taking pictures .... lenses are forever.
Now that the K5 is discontinued, that doesn't mean our current copies will magically disappear or stop working. In fact, mine still has two years warrantee left. It still is a great machine and it will be interesting to see how Pentax Ricoh Imaging is going to top it! I still think they should have announced something new prior to discontinueing the K5 now though. It makes it seem as if Pentax is currently dead in the water.

Lenses are forever... Provided that all the electronics and mechanics keep working... And provided PRI won't change the mount for some evil reason.

08-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Sad? Some of you guys have really strange things to feel sad about.
08-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It still is a great machine and it will be interesting to see how Pentax Ricoh Imaging is going to top it!
Exactly! They must be proud of the K-5 and be pretty confident that they have something even better coming. I don't understand their policy of discontinuing before release of the next model, though. I hope the K-5 gets its successor a little faster than the K-r did (to the extent that the K-r has a successor yet - I actually think it will have two successors, the K-30 and something simpler that is more geared towards newbies than the K-r ever was).
08-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #70
Pentaxian

So the K-5 is discontinued.... and that means, you can't buy one... wait.. there's still lots of product in the system... at some point you won't be able to buy one... like a Nikon D700? You won't be able to buy a Nikon D800 in ten years.

SO what exactly is the problem?

You can get a new one if you want it. You probably have 6 months to buy one new with warranty, if you want one, but something else will replace it before stocks run out. It's still the best APS-c camera currently on the market, all things considered and still rated ahead of many of the older FF cameras.

Right now how is it not still part of the Pentax system? If you go to a camera store and look at Pentax, it will be there on the shelf. RIght now "discontinued" is a philosophical concept, not a practical one.

But more practically, if you want a K-5, don't count on the price dropping much. My guess is when a camera has established itself as best in class, the way the K-5 has, people are going to want to own one well into the future. When mine is done working, it's going on my shelf next to my Ricohflex VI, Program Plus and ME. You won't be buying mine.
08-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #71
Pentaxian

With the way some people are using "entry level", Ferrari sells entry level cars. Perhaps a $10 million estate is a "starter home" in ritzy locales?

The K30 is the lowest (and only) current Pentax DSLR but its feature set and price are greater than Nikon and Canon entry models. It seems reasonable to call the K30 mid range. The importance of features like dual control wheels won't register with entry level shoppers.
08-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #72
JPT
Pentaxian

I'm not sure why people are assuming there will be a long break between the K-5 and its successor. They could release it any day now and it could be available soon, but not likely this week because it is holiday period in Japan.

Actually, many stores in Tokyo were out of K-5 stock well over a month ago and had been told not to expect more. So they must have stopped production quite a while ago. We could be closer than many assume to seeing the new model.

I don't see how this can be bad news. All products come to an end and Pentax won't replace it with something worse. When was the last time Pentax released a camera that was worse than it's predecessor?
08-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #73
mee
Veteran Member

Yes fixed:

When you have only ever had two models in your APS-C DSLR line up, the cheapest base model is the "entry level' model IMO. The K-x and K-r have always been considered entry level options and the K-30 is no different, if Pentax marketing don't want to call it entry level it's because of the implication of the competitors entry level machines. For example the K-30 is closer the the D5100 and not the D3200, so perhaps by Nikons standards it's not. The K-30 will eventually sell for $699, which is the same price as the K-x and K-r and so for all intents and purposes it's the entry level and the K-5 successor will be the premium or semi pro model.

But you are certainly entitled to disagree.
But that is silly. If the K-5, when released, was priced at 600 dollars.. would you have been calling it the entry level model? Base the lineup on feature-set not price.

Besides, the K-5 is discontinued.. it is no longer in the official lineup.. So, by your logic, is the K-30 now the entry level AND the high end model to you?
08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Base the lineup on feature-set not price.
Also not true. An entry level 2012 Ford Mondeo has way more features than a 1990 Ford Mondeo. Features always trickle down the model range, so you have to compare features with equivalent models from the competition.
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #75

You can grab a K-5 for $834 at buydig using the coupon code: BGSAVEACOOL25
Don't know how long the offer is good for. I would pull the trigger if I wasn't torn between upgrading from my K-r to the K-5 or its replacement.