Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
When you have only ever had two models in your APS-C DSLR line up, the cheapest base model is the "entry level' model IMO. The K-x and K-r have always been considered entry level options and the K-30 is no different, if Pentax marketing don't want to call it entry level it's because of the implication of the competitors entry level machines. For example the K-30 is closer the the D5100 and not the D3200, so perhaps by Nikons standards it's not. The K-30 will eventually sell for $699, which is the same price as the K-x and K-r and so for all intents and purposes it's the entry level and the K-5 successor will be the premium or semi pro model.

But you are certainly entitled to disagree.
Sure, you have your entry level Leica, Hasselblad, Ferrari...

08-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eh. we have seen it before. Pentax discontinues and then a new "top of the line" is announced a month later. Do I think this is a best practice? Probably not. I would rather them either leak the upcoming camera as the same time as the discontinue announcement or just keep the k5 as "officially" in production until the new camera is announced, but that is not what they do.

They are kind of screwed whatever they do. Announce a stellar camera with too much lead time and Canikon responds by tweaking the specs on their next releases that are most similar. This would be especially true if those rumors of entry level FF from Canikon and a FF body from Pentax are true. What they could do is make an announcement that another camera is coming, but not release any specs. At least we would know they were going somewhere. Don't say anything and there will always be the handful of people who believe that the sky is falling.

Nothing that happens at this point changes this wedding season. From Labor day on I have a wedding every weekend until Thanksgiving. Even if that FF is available next month I won't have time enough to learn it to actually shoot with it at a paid event. So spring release for a FF or an amazing K5 replacement is fine by me.
08-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Nothing that happens at this point changes this wedding season. From Labor day on I have a wedding every weekend until Thanksgiving. Even if that FF is available next month I won't have time enough to learn it to actually shoot with it at a paid event. So spring release for a FF or an amazing K5 replacement is fine by me.
I can relate to this concept, albeit slightly differently.

The "once-a-year" UK trip is coming on Sept 25. After a month shooting pictures and video, it will take at least 6 months for me to "use up" my inventory of material.

I would have liked to know before heading out what was in store, but truthfully, I won't uptake a new K5 replacement until the spring - unless there is a FF. Then I will buy it immediately upon availability.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 08-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.
08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #94
Veteran Member

eh. we have seen it before. Pentax discontinues and then a new "top of the line" is announced a month later. Do I think this is a best practice? Probably not. I would rather them either leak the upcoming camera as the same time as the discontinue announcement or just keep the k5 as "officially" in production until the new camera is announced, but that is not what they do.

They are kind of screwed whatever they do. Announce a stellar camera with too much lead time and Canikon responds by tweaking the specs on their next releases that are most similar. This would be especially true if those rumors of entry level FF from Canikon and a FF body from Pentax are true. What they could do is make an announcement that another camera is coming, but not release any specs. At least we would know they were going somewhere. Don't say anything and there will always be the handful of people who believe that the sky is falling.

They've typically announced discontinuations at least several months following new model releases, from memory this is the first time a model has been discontinued prior to release of the successor. Even before when they would make the announcement later, production would have stopped well before that, with retailers supplied from warehouse stock. Perhaps they have changed how they announce the discontinuation, meaning the K-5 production has stopped, however retailers will continue to receive some new supply until the warehouse is emptied.

With competitors releasing new products on sometimes very short lifespans, I don't think Pentax can really sit back and worry about what might be done by the competition before or after their own announcements. If the K-5 successor is a big a leap as the K-5 was, there will be much interest, regardless of the competition. It would also be nice if they come out with a real winner of a camera and have the inventory waiting to supply the demand, unlike for instance Olympus - I was not amused having to wait 3 months after the release date to get my hands on the E-m5.

08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

I would have liked to know before heading out what was in store, but truthfully, I won't uptake a new K5 replacement until the spring - unless there is a FF. Then I will buy it immediately upon availability.
You are right. Even if I don't think I will use it the first wedding out, I will be buying a FF as soon as I can...but truthfully I am hoping this is available int he spring because I want it on 2013 taxes.
08-14-2012, 02:54 PM - 3 Likes   #96
Veteran Member

FWIW, I don't think it matters when Pentax makes one or more announcements, pre-announcements, leaks, hints, pre-production deliveries, review copy deliveries, retail store deliveries, firmware updates, etc. The applause here will be fast but quickly muted as the wrangling begins about too fast/slow/early/late/big/small/consumer-oriented/enthusiast-oriented/pro-oriented/Hello Kitty-oriented.

Not to mention the discussions of the features that are included/excluded/delayed/deferred/incomprehensible or only go to show that Pentax is not serious about photography or makes a Pentax user look silly-by-association owing to a Pentax model that appears in a color that Mathew Brady would find surprising and Matthew Brady would use to charm the ladies of Tasmania.

Now .... I feel much better.
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
FWIW, I don't think it matters when Pentax makes one or more announcements, pre-announcements, leaks, hints, pre-production deliveries, review copy deliveries, retail store deliveries, firmware updates, etc. The applause here will be fast but quickly muted as the wrangling begins about too fast/slow/early/late/big/small/consumer-oriented/enthusiast-oriented/pro-oriented/Hello Kitty-oriented.

Not to mention the discussions of the features that are included/excluded/delayed/deferred/incomprehensible or only go to show that Pentax is not serious about photography or makes a Pentax user look silly-by-association owing to a Pentax model that appears in a color that Mathew Brady would find surprising and Matthew Brady would use to charm the ladies of Tasmania.

Personally, I am hoping that the k5 replacement will be both pro-oriented and Hello Kitty oriented at the same time.

08-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

Best post of the week, notwithstanding that I don't know who Matthew Brady is.
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Buy K5 now or wait til K3? comes out??

Was planning to get the K5,but wonder if I should wait till the new model is released,as prices may go down even more? Probably the new model will be 2X the K5's price so that is over my budget...
Can the price of K5 actually go up again? never experienced that with discontinued models in other brands...
08-14-2012, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #100
mee
Veteran Member

Personally, I am hoping that the k5 replacement will be both pro-oriented and Hello Kitty oriented at the same time.
I can see the next trend.. cartoon character covers to go around camera bodies.. K5 with wittle kitty ears.
08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Was planning to get the K5,but wonder if I should wait till the new model is released,as prices may go down even more? Probably the new model will be 2X the K5's price so that is over my budget...
Can the price of K5 actually go up again? never experienced that with discontinued models in other brands...
I don't think the "new" K5 prices will go down much more. They are pretty much rock bottom if you consider where the K30 is priced. But I don't think it would be very wise of Pentax to release the successor for double the price considering the rumors of a "cheap" FF. Unless you think you need lots of megapixels (likely 24MP), an AF improvement, or focus peaking, etc the K5 really is a great camera. Plus, if you can get it new, for $20 you get the 2-year extended warranty rather than taking chances on the used market.

My K-3 Guess (Photokina): (Not really what I want, but what I think they'll do).

APS-C 24MP
Same form factor as K-5 w/ slight mod. for tiltscreen
Focus Peaking
Improvement in AF (similar to K-30?)
More video options
$1299 US

FF K-2 in April.

Last edited by sb in ak; 08-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.
08-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Unfortunately* I think you're right about the tilt screen.

*I don't want it, it adds weight+cost and subtracts durability from something I won't use.
08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Unfortunately* I think you're right about the tilt screen.

*I don't want it, it adds weight+cost and subtracts durability from something I won't use.
Yeah.... I don't like it either, but I think it's coming, especially if they increase the video options. I don't shoot much video, so to me it would mean a loss in durability / one more thing to break / another place for water to leak in.
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #104
Veteran Member

What they could do is make an announcement that another camera is coming, but not release any specs. At least we would know they were going somewhere. Don't say anything and there will always be the handful of people who believe that the sky is falling.
As far as "sure" the interviews go the only thing officials mentioned was they need a 4-camera lineup.... still way too vague and broad.
08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
As far as "sure" the interviews go the only thing officials mentioned was they need a 4-camera lineup.... still way too vague and broad.
But it is at least something, so now everyone on here will obsess for the next month on what a 4 camera line-up means...do we include the k-01 or not...what about the q? All aps-c or will there be a ff? Didn't they do a countdown page for the k5? How about we get one of those again so we try and decipher what the camera will feature from its silhouette! I swear, the August/September before photokina is the worst time for photographers.