Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
But it is at least something, so now everyone on here will obsess for the next month on what a 4 camera line-up means...do we include the k-01 or not...what about the q? All aps-c or will there be a ff? Didn't they do a countdown page for the k5? How about we get one of those again so we try and decipher what the camera will feature from its silhouette! I swear, the August/September before photokina is the worst time for photographers.
Of course, pessimists will say that we just went from a 5 camera line-up to exactly a 4 camera line-up ;p

08-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Of course, pessimists will say that we just went from a 5 camera line-up to exactly a 4 camera line-up ;p
What did they say exactly? I know it's on PF somewhere, just can't seem to find it in the vast quantity of FF threads/reactions.

If they said "4 camera lineup" then I'm afraid I'm with the pessimists. They announced it, and did exactly as they announced.
08-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I see so many people and hear of so many things online where people are always harping on 'new technology'... yes to a degree this is true, but its like baking a cake... you don't need 'new and improved eggs' to make a wonderful cake. You have to work with what you got to blend everything together to make an overall product that is acceptable. If you have 3 or 4 year old proven technology but its all put together in a good combination--- you end up with a great rock solid camera.
I don't know about you but I prefer my cake to be made with new eggs not eggs that are 3 or 4 yrs old.

Last edited by atlnq9; 08-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.
08-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Not to mention the discussions of the features that are included/excluded/delayed/deferred/incomprehensible or only go to show that Pentax is not serious about photography or makes a Pentax user look silly-by-association owing to a Pentax model that appears in a color that Mathew Brady would find surprising and Matthew Brady would use to charm the ladies of Tasmania.

Now .... I feel much better.
Well, you could argue Matthew Brady was colourblind, but there's no doubt his charm would have been enhanced by a good FA*. My 80-200/2.8 has had more than one Tasmanian lady swooning at its size. I'm not sure if it made them feel better, but they kept smiling.

08-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I don't know about you but I prefer my cake to be made with new eggs not eggs that are 3 or 4 yrs old.
It's not about the ingredients but about the recipe. You don't throw away an excellent cake recipe. You keep it, finetune it some more, and use new ingredients... Like a new sensor, better AF sensor, focus peaking.
08-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's not about the ingredients but about the recipe. You don't throw away an excellent cake recipe. You keep it, finetune it some more, and use new ingredients... Like a new sensor, better AF sensor, focus peaking.
Why would you throw away a excellent cake recipe? Improve it sure you would but the poster states he wants nothing new in his cake, so all you have to work with is the current ingredients. By stating: "new sensor, better AF sensor, focus peaking," you are refering to new technology which the poster was not referring too. He wants Pentax to rebuild the k5 from spare parts lying around and just blend it together better with new screws and some sticky tape so it is more rock solid.
08-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Why would you throw away a excellent cake recipe? Improve it sure you would but the poster states he wants nothing new in his cake, so all you have to work with is the current ingredients. By stating: "new sensor, better AF sensor, focus peaking," you are refering to new technology which the poster was not referring too. He wants Pentax to rebuild the k5 from spare parts lying around and just blend it together better with new screws and some sticky tape so it is more rock solid.

No that's not what I said.

I said to a certain extent 'new technology' is great...and yeah people want it... but standing alone... no.

If you have the latest and greatest sensor put into a camera with junk controls, a horrible body and so forth... the technology part can't save it or make it good.

When it comes to cameras technology is or 'new technology' is just one part of the recipie.

Please don't misquote me.
08-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #113
Banned

I think that Pentax should introduce "choose your specs, choose your body, choose your colour" approach.
As it seems, many are so bedazzled upon seeing all new cameras coming from Pentax, that they have an urge to exclaim "What the hell were they thinkinnn ...???".

To address such a confusion, Pentax offers this: "choose your specs, choose your body, choose your colour."

For example:
"Don't like body, but like the specs of the K-30? No probs, you'll get those specs inside the K-5 body". Or,
"Don't like the K-01 body? Fine, choose the K-30 body then, it has a great grip. And inside the pentaprism part on top we'll install a miniature aquarium".

And that would mark the end of people's problems of comprehending Pentax.

08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, you could argue Matthew Brady was colourblind, but there's no doubt his charm would have been enhanced by a good FA*. My 80-200/2.8 has had more than one Tasmanian lady swooning at its size. I'm not sure if it made them feel better, but they kept smiling.
I'm glad that at least one person got the reference to Matthew Brady.
08-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm glad that at least one person got the reference to Matthew Brady.
There may have been some confusion between the Tasmanian bushranger and the US Civil War photographer. I thought you may have deliberately made the connection, but subtly (and Langlois is an old Tasmanian family name).
08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think that Pentax should introduce "choose your specs, choose your body, choose your colour" approach.
[...]
And that would mark the end of people's problems of comprehending Pentax.
You were joking... right? If 3 cameras can create such problems, how about hundreds of combinations?
08-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You were joking... right? If 3 cameras can create such problems, how about hundreds of combinations?
It's not without precedent, just not in the photographic market. The most successful proponent that comes to mind outside the DIY world of computers must be BMW with the new MINI, which has a myriad of buyer options, including body parts colours and graphics, and with a very large bankroll behind them, too.
08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Yes fixed:

When you have only ever had two models in your APS-C DSLR line up, the cheapest base model is the "entry level' model IMO. The K-x and K-r have always been considered entry level options and the K-30 is no different, if Pentax marketing don't want to call it entry level it's because of the implication of the competitors entry level machines. For example the K-30 is closer the the D5100 and not the D3200, so perhaps by Nikons standards it's not. The K-30 will eventually sell for $699, which is the same price as the K-x and K-r and so for all intents and purposes it's the entry level and the K-5 successor will be the premium or semi pro model.

But you are certainly entitled to disagree.
Actually, that isn't completely accurate. It would be more reasonable to compare it to the K200d. The K-30 is even more of a step-up becuase it is sealed, has a penta-prism, and dual dials. The K-m/k2000 was a stepdown from the K200d in many ways and that is the line the K-x and K-r developed from. I would consider the MILC the entry level model in the current aps-c lineup by Pentax.
08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, that isn't completely accurate. It would be more reasonable to compare it to the K200d. The K-30 is even more of a step-up becuase it is sealed, has a penta-prism, and dual dials. The K-m/k2000 was a stepdown from the K200d in many ways and that is the line the K-x and K-r developed from. I would consider the MILC the entry level model in the current aps-c lineup by Pentax.

The K-200 was considered weather sealed IIRC. I don't recall if it was pentaprism or not.
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The K-200 was considered weather sealed IIRC. I don't recall if it was pentaprism or not.
Penta-mirror only, and not 100% coverage...