Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #31

how does this effect getting them fixed if they go wrong??

08-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I doubt Pentax are able to keep bodies in production long. Most likely the K5 line is adapted to make the new K5 or the K30.
If they really have a limited number of production lines, this could make more sense. In the recent past they only had to produce 2 models (e.g. the K-x and K-7), or 3 when they had a mid-range model like the K200D. Now they have to produce the 645D, the Q, the K-01, and the K-30, with up to 3 new models coming (which all fill different slots). It would seem too soon to be producing a FF yet (unless they could work around the sensor availability issues), but a K-5 replacement and a and a K-r replacement may be imminent.

Since Pentax is said to be working on a 645D update, and they have plans for more Q lenses, they may not drop any of these lines (though it wouldn't surprise me to see the K-01 go away). So they could easily have 6 models in production next year.
08-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Yeah, most likely it has been discontinued to open production lines up for the successor camera. Hopefully it will sport the same body. The K-5/7 is the finest APS body I've ever used.

Odd there are no rumors, but maybe they do a better job at keeping folks tight-lipped?
08-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Odd there are no rumors, but maybe they do a better job at keeping folks tight-lipped?
It's probably because they are smaller, but historically Pentax has managed to keep new products quiet until only a few weeks before launch or official announcement - no more than about a month, as I remember.

08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Compared to Nikon and Canon, Pentax is slow to announce new products. They discontinue the current product, then announce the new replacement, then need a few months to get it to market. Nikon and Canon often announce the new model while still keeping the prior version on the market.
From what I can tell from here, the K-5 is still on the market. We'll have to see how long it takes for the pipeline to empty.

OTOH, there's nothing that says "New product soon!" better than announcing the discontinuance of the previous model.

Nikon apparently finds it worthwhile, given their large market, to continue production of the D90. Unit volume has remained high with no serious replacement camera in the price range. I'm wondering if the K-30 will fall in the same category eventually ...
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
Forum Member

Here's my take: the discontinuation of the K-5 is intended to prevent discounted end-of-life K-5s ($1,000-ish in Canada) from putting downward price pressure on the new K-30 ($850 for same sensor, fewer features). From a business perspective, I agree with that decision. From a consumer perspective, I'm cursing it, because it means I won't be able to snap one up for $600-700 sometime in the next 6 months.

Also, consider what would happen if Pentax only had the K30 available in stores for the holiday shopping season. Not a pretty picture from a sales perspective (and I'm sure Ricoh would agree). Expect to see the next Pentax advanced amateur DSLR announced in the next month and available in stores soon after (i.e. hopefully on or before Black Friday).
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cleared the production line for new model maybe...?

08-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax is a strange company.

I don't understand how they think it is a good plan to have no current entry level camera,
For all intents and purposes the K-30 is an entry level DSLR.

And I would also like to point out that the front page is one of the worst ever opinionated crap editorial articles I have ever read on PF.

Last edited by Freak; 08-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #39
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
For all intensive purposes the K-30 is an entry level DSLR.

And I would also like to point out that the front page is one of the worst ever opinionated crap editorial articles I have ever read on PF.

Are you sure you don't mean 'intents and purposes' ?

And I'd disagree with the K-30 being an entry level.. it's feature set is not entry level.. it's image quality is not entry level.. it's price is not entry level. It is not entry level in any way shape or form.
08-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Are you sure you don't mean 'intents and purposes' ?
Yes fixed:

QuoteQuote:
And I'd disagree with the K-30 being an entry level.. it's feature set is not entry level.. it's image quality is not entry level.. it's price is not entry level. It is not entry level in any way shape or form.
When you have only ever had two models in your APS-C DSLR line up, the cheapest base model is the "entry level' model IMO. The K-x and K-r have always been considered entry level options and the K-30 is no different, if Pentax marketing don't want to call it entry level it's because of the implication of the competitors entry level machines. For example the K-30 is closer the the D5100 and not the D3200, so perhaps by Nikons standards it's not. The K-30 will eventually sell for $699, which is the same price as the K-x and K-r and so for all intents and purposes it's the entry level and the K-5 successor will be the premium or semi pro model.

But you are certainly entitled to disagree.
08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #41

Photos: Gallery
This news does not really come as a surprise, but I am concerned that Ricoh has put itself in a very tight position. From what I have seen the Q has not done well in its bracket, the K01 has not been marketed as strongly as you would expect for such a unique camera and the 645D is oddly positioned and is rarely referred to as the "flagship" of pentax even though the price tag indicates that it should be.

I think the k30 is a solid move and I hope that it holds that "bang for your buck" sector of the market that Pentax is known for, but the big question is what happens next? Personally I see that another APS-C is a necessity for Pentax otherwise (if they go FF) there will be a stack of lenses that are going to plummet in value and may reduce the range that that K mount offers. This next camera is going to have to punch well above its weight to get the attention that the Pentax brand needs right now... best of luck Ricoh.
08-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So less products with clear differences is better and result to happier users.
Which might have happened with me had I gone Canon or Nikon. Each year's models come in and go out with only minor upgrades, with only certain models being somewhat totally rave-worthy like N's D7000 and D90 (at the time it came out) and C's 7D and 550D (at the time it came out)

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Prices for the K-5 might even go up a little. It did for the K-7 after the K-5 was released. Still just selling old stock.
This is what I don't understand about some stores... why raise prices for stuff that aren't in production anymore, and with lower probability of being bought because new models are incoming?

...unless of course, something outworldly crazy like Ricoh announcing they're shutting down Pentax happens at Photokina.
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I have mixed emotions. I own the K-5 and like most who own it, I am in love with it.

I guess my feelings are as follows:

I have mine and hopefully it will last a very long time (I just got it June 1) and generally I tend to baby my belongings...hopefully if they release a 'newer better version' once I go to pick up a new camera the prices will be lower (or I will have more cash by then)...

I hope Pentax actually comes out with a camera that is at least as good as, if not better than the K-5 and it is in a crop format so that I don't have to go out and buy all new lenses. If that's what they have in mind, changes happen. I can live with that.

If they move away from 'professional style' cameras then after this one is worn out Pentax can kiss me goodbye. I don't like toy cameras.

I want a camera that is progressing me towards professional level photography and has features that are like that. That is the only market I am in. If Pentax choses to not be in that segment then this will be my first and last pentax.

If they try to have a mass market camera company selling products like a 'Rebel' or something like that I will be very disappointed and very displeased and I WILL be switching gear if that is the direction they chose to take. Just looking at the K-30 and to me its almost a joke camera. Its not even a professional camera and does not give off the 'professional vibe'...it doesn't improve on the K-5 but it might appeal to somebody....just not me.

And in addition I can't stand cameras that are neon blue or pink or red...to me the colors are simply not impressive at all. If they offer it in pink or red or blue then that's a pretty good sign I won't be buying one.

On the otherhand I would hope they are not stupid. The K-5 was and is the best thing Pentax has ever put out and the sales reflected that. If they target a different segment though and not something close to or in the direction of professional photography I will hail them as the biggest idiots on planet earth.

If they try to downgrade to the K30 in order to 'mass market' a hybrid of all things that are half baked and that is a jack of all trades but a master of none....sianara folks. I won't play their games.

I am holding out hope that Pentax will offer a camera that actually is better than the K-5 pushing towards professional photography. I do hope they retain a crop sensor camera like the K-5 in their line. Full frame is fine but it should be a seperate offering.

If they go full frame though and don't have a crop camera I will be pissed because if I have to buy an entire new lens line up it probably won't be Pentax unless they are bringing out something extra special. I don't like spending literally thousands of dollars on lenses only to have my purchases rendered useless.

Long story short--- there is only one formula that will make me happy. That is to offer a K-5 that is improved off of and over the K-5.

If they want to offer a full frame camera that is fine too but it should be a seperate offering with a lens line up all its own. If they do offer something good a long those lines when I go up to full frame I will consider it...

Honestly I don't know about the lens line up currently available but it seems to me that everything they offer barring the FA line is designed for crop cameras. Surely they wouldn't abandon the whole lot...
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Sometimes, I find them too tight-lipped.
08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I believe a semi professional model of a crop camera is needed. I believe it is marketable. That's what I bought--on purpose.

I would like to have a full frame camera too but not instead of a crop camera.

I will be loyal forever to Pentax, but they better be loyal to me back.