Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #31

08-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks salgueiros!

Anyway, I don't really understand their ISO scoring, on the K-01 I still get very acceptable pictures at ISO 6400.

Also, anyone could explain why higher ISO results in lesser lines per picture ?
Thanks.
08-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Thanks salgueiros!

Anyway, I don't really understand their ISO scoring, on the K-01 I still get very acceptable pictures at ISO 6400.
Yes, that's very strange. I assume that ISO 1600 DNG images are approximately as from my K-5, and it would be absolutely ridiculous to call that "unacceptable", even with no NR at all.

QuoteQuote:
Also, anyone could explain why higher ISO results in lesser lines per picture ?
Thanks.
The noise and/or the noise reduction makes the lines go fuzzy - try to pixel peep a high iso image.
08-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Great news!

08-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #35

I read the article in the magazine and yes the K-30 sounds like an amazing camera and a nice improvment. I have a K-r and it has been a very good camera except for the remove lens button which is taped on.
I am disappointed in how noisythe K-30 is through the ISO's according to the magaizne. My K-r did better in the noise department in the magaizne review and it works really well throught ISO 1600 in dark areas. The K-5 has better ISO also. The K-30 looks like to takes better pictures in good light while using low ISO. From what I read, the K-30 is the best camera out there for the money! I would like a full frame camera with low noise through higher ISO's. I do like what I have seen from Pentax and if they come up with an uper camera, I am ready to buy.

David
08-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Racerdew,
PopPhoto must have changed the way they test high ISO or something. That is my only guess. I have both a K-r and K-30 and I can tell you with absolutely no doubt in my mind that the high ISO performance of the K-30 is significantly better than the K-r. I would suggest you simply ignore this part of PopPhoto's review because, frankly, it is incorrect.
08-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #37

Ephotozine have some sample shots with different ISO settings. They conclude that ISO 6400 is the highest usable value.

Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Review

08-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Racerdew,
PopPhoto must have changed the way they test high ISO or something. That is my only guess. I have both a K-r and K-30 and I can tell you with absolutely no doubt in my mind that the high ISO performance of the K-30 is significantly better than the K-r. I would suggest you simply ignore this part of PopPhoto's review because, frankly, it is incorrect.
In the article, they discuss they process RAWs with the included software. The poor scores are just because SilkyPix is set to denoise every picture it processes, and its not particularly good at it. So bottom line - SilkyPix stinks, and the K-30 got a poor score because of it.

Last edited by miltona580; 08-22-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: misspelling
08-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
In the article, they discuss they process RAWs with the included software. The poor scores are just because SilkyPix is set to denoise every picture it processes, and its not particularly good at it. So bottom line - SilkyPix stinks, and the K-30 got a poor score because of it.
I saw that. But that doesn't explain why the K-r scored better than the K-30. Why use a different approach to score ISO performance with different cameras? It really doesn't make a lot of sense.
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I saw that. But that doesn't explain why the K-r scored better than the K-30. Why use a different approach to score ISO performance with different cameras? It really doesn't make a lot of sense.
I'd say either Pop Photo changed their methodology or maybe the version of SilkyPix that came with the K-r didn't do noise reduction by default.
08-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't see the images posted by salgueiros (which appear to be from TinyPic), what's going on?

Edit: Okay, now it works.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 08-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.
08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

AF speed has not improved compared to the K-5 (see here) and seems to be somewhat worse. I'm not sure if the test methodology has changed or if the lens used is different. This is inconsistent with what users have reported.

--DragonLord
08-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #43

Thanks Loco and Milton580 for your info on the silky pix. Ya I was really shocked how low they scored the noise. Besides the forum I use Pop magazine as a guide to cameras, lenses and generally the rest of their testing. I subscribe to the magazine and when the magazine came out on the K-r, they were so empressed withe the camera and they showed a lot of enthusiasm over the camera. The res scores were pretty good and the color quality was excellent. The ISO testing was very good or better than more expensive cameras. Results was I bought a K-r. I really like the camera and I have had it for a year and a half now. Like everyone I am wanting more or the next best thing from Pentax.
I saw some of the test pictures that have been posted from the K-30 going throught the ISO settings and yes they look good. However the ISO of the camera needs to be tested in poor lighting. I use my K-r with my Pentax 360 flash taking real estate pictures and it does a great job. I have done twilight shots with it and it again does a great job and I am using the ISO at 1600 and the grain is slight making a great picture. I would like to see some twilight shots from the K-30 or shots in low lighted rooms. I was totally excited to go with the k-30 since it sounded like it could out perform the k-5. But the Pop magazine score of the ISO looked like a 5 year set back so I lost my interest. If you go to the Pop magazine web site you can find archive lab test results and see how they tested these cameras. It was a suprise to see the poor ISO score when the camera got an excellent score in resolution with the lowest ISO setting. Usually only the very best cameras get that kind of a score.
Racerdew
08-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
AF speed has not improved compared to the K-5 (see here) and seems to be somewhat worse. I'm not sure if the test methodology has changed or if the lens used is different. This is inconsistent with what users have reported.
Yep, played 5 minutes with a K-30 and the AF was way more nervous than my K-5.
08-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #45

Thanks Timcatn for the info and the link to the review. I read the entire review and the sample pictures were fantastic! The k-30 looks pretty awesome for the money.
Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Review

Racerdew