Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why do we always want bigger files?

I am inspired by a post on another thread.

"Last thing I want is bigger files", the poster wrote.

I really agree on this. I think I would have liked my K10d to deliver 6MP Raw files on demand. Has the K20d this feature?

I guess not. But why do we want the bigger files? Is that because we are uncertain of our composition capacities? (cropping during PostProcessing)

Is it because we want all our pics to be printed larger than 30x45 cm? I guess less than 1 out of 250 of my photos will be made that large. So actually; I feel the large file size as a handicap.

So my answer to the question in the subject line is: No, i do not want bigger files. I want smaller files but bigger possibilities (higher ISO, less noise, more FPS). The bigger file size is more like an Unwanted Side Effect.

How about you?
(do not kill me for this opinion, sometimes I exaggerate the contrast for discussion's sake).

01-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Syb, I'll bite...my customary print size is 30x45cm, seldom smaller. I can print that size at home. If I've got something really good for a gallery-sized print, I'll take the file to a local pro lab and work with them to produce that "wow" that comes with a quality large print. Whether I print at home or go to the lab, I need to interpolate the RAW files from my K10D up by a modest to significant amount. I currently use the Genuine Fractals plug-in for CS3, and am pretty happy with the quality I get.

If I shot a lower-resolution file or with a camera such as the K100D, I'd depend more heavily on the software, and would be more likely to reach the limits of its usefulness. If a crop is necessary (hey, not every composition is perfect!), then a larger original file is more likely to interpolate with an acceptable final outcome than is a smaller one, wouldn't you agree?
01-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #3

[URL="http://www.k20d.jp/"]http://www.k20d.jp/[/URL
skip the pixel countdown if its not fast enough on your connection.....go to features.......go to quality.........go to demos/cmos.......look at that detail. Really I can see these people having dinner...the olives the ouzo. Thats why we want bigger files with more dtail and more resolution.
01-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #4

K20DƒXƒyƒVƒƒƒ‹ƒTƒCƒgbPENTAX
sorry this is the link

01-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Shufosi777, thanks for the Pentax Japan link. Apparently, they've got a rotating gallery of Demo>CMOS pics, because I got a different scene than you did. Still, I have to agree with you about the level of detail revealed in the zooms in the village scene I saw. It was startlingly like those efex shots in Bladerunner or other futuristic movies where the computers seem able to pull out arbitrarily high levels of acuity at ridiculous zoom levels!
01-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #6

Hi Cristine..........wow u are up so early.......or still up so late. Yes they have a rotating gallery bt when ever I press on it always goes to the village scene. I think the village scene is default for now. It so brilliant. Click on this scene to get a 1000 crop. wow. are u a peeping tom. no. well marvel.
01-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
The bigger file size is more like an Unwanted Side Effect.
I think this is a very accurate description. Nobody except memory makers wants larger files. But larger files is a side effect of what many needs, or beleave they needs.

I think it is that simple.

Tim
01-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

bigger files are a relative concept

our world is expanding, so are our memory reserves, and processing power.

40 years ago having a 10 megabyte hard drive meant a choice between that and having a car

nowdays you can get 500 gigabytes for the price of a couple expensive dinners.

you cant avoid it.

01-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The problem is not just upgrading your hard drive to hold the larger files but you may as well upgrade your processor and ram while your at it because sifting through 500 gbs of photos takes its toll on any application your using to archive, hell...Lightroom is already sluggish with just 3000+ files at 10mp (and man did it chomp away at my internal hd space of 200gb)...dreading the wait times with 14/15mp on my current rig ("dated" already at 1.5 years old). Just when you have the perfect balance of hardware and performance along comes an upgrade that requires a faster everything just so you can be where you were 1-2 years ago lol....of course, the only solution is rather than looking at upgrading you could always do some downgrade, or not do anything at all!....most just fool themselves into thinking they do need the upgrade, others simply have cash to burn. If your in business you wouldnt be alive today if you dont already have all you need for photography.....easier? maybe (upgrade everything to be effeciently usable?), essential? hell no..desirable? ummm......

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-29-2008 at 10:11 PM.
01-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

my friend just upgraded his computer, he bought a motherboard, a 3ghz dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram to go along with it

500 bucks alltogether.

unless you are a Mac user, PC hardware is dirt cheap nowdays.
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
my friend just upgraded his computer, he bought a motherboard, a 3ghz dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram to go along with it

500 bucks alltogether.

unless you are a Mac user, PC hardware is dirt cheap nowdays.
Heh agreed on the PC front..but for the photography minded thats the price of a 21 or 70 limited, a 43 limited, or a metz strobe, pair of pocket wizards.....

Try throwing in a mid to high end GPU on top of that for photoshop and lightroom to handle the larger file size edits effeciently and your looking at a 16-50/ 50-135 da*.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-30-2008 at 09:38 PM.