Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
...and I certainly hope they succeed in taking the top spot as the best APS-C camera on the market.
That reminds me of something depressing a teacher used to say in our primary school:
"If all you can be is a garbageman, then go out there and be the best darn garbageman that you can be."

The big boys are marking their territory right now. If Pentax settles for the scraps, then how will they ever get a foot in the door? If they don't do the difficult thing right now, then they doom themselves to try to do the impossible later on.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-31-2012 at 06:46 AM.
08-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The big boys are marking their territory right now. If Pentax settles for the scraps, then how will they ever get a foot in the door? If they don't do the difficult thing right now, then they doom themselves to try to do the impossible later on.

What do you mean? Nothing new; Nikon is going to sell a spineless, plastic FF camera at the same price as similar cameras costed in the past. Sony is going to make another expensive FF camera that will sell in similar numbers as their previous ones. Meanwhile, people are buying APS DSLR's as never before.
It reminds me of the prediction three years ago that DSLR's would be gone in three years. The digital market continue to fragment; it is not about replacements but diversification. There are limits of how diverse a small player like Pentax can be...
Theres very little cannibalization too; for not only is the market fragmenting it is also expanding.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-31-2012 at 06:25 AM.
08-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #138
Veteran Member

The market is diversifying, but Pentax shouldn't diversify?
08-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The market is diversifying, but Pentax shouldn't diversify?
They are already among the most diverse in the DSLR/interchangeable lens market. Remarkably so for their marketshare.

08-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen:
for not only is the market fragmenting it is also expanding.
Exactly, and the fact that Pentaxes share is shrinking whilst the market itself is expanding tells me that they're having trouble keeping up the pace. They should brush up their act quickly.

Look at it this way: The K5 was and still is the best APSC DSLR out there... And still they shrink. The market is stupid, it only wants more: More MP's and now also bigger sensors. It's sad but true. How many beautifull brands died that way? Refusing to join the competition?
08-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at it this way: The K5 was and still is the best APSC DSLR out there... And still they shrink. The market is stupid, it only wants more: More MP's and now also bigger sensors. It's sad but true. How many beautifull brands died that way? Refusing to join the competition?
Pentax are concentrating on DSLR primarily and here thay are not experiencing a decline.. FF is marginal. Just check the statistics and compensate for the fact that FF is normally not bundled in numorus kit forms (or available in diferent colors). FF has less than 5% of the DSLR market. Pentax need to increase their share of the 95% marketsegment.
FF would be a luxury but their problem here is that they have about 1/20th the marketpenetration of Nikon and Canon in this area almost regardless of what FF camera they put out...and then theres the challenge of a complete set of modern FF lenses.

The idea that Pentax will die without FF has been around for close to a decade now and nothing sugeest it has any bearing in reality.
08-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
A GPS chip in a battery grip - if the antenna is located in the case attached to the bottom of the camera - would have very poor reception if it has a heavy duty metal DSLR camera on top of it. If you look at the compact cameras with GPS on the market, they generally have an antenna located on the top of the case. This is all conjecture anyway, but I'd be astonished if any camera manufacturer chose to put a GPS circuit into a battery grip. If a camera is going to have GPS, it's going to be built into the top of the body - unless it's an acessory the likes of which Pentax already have, that fits the hotshoe - on the top of the camera. I really don't appreciate your derogatory response.
Thinking about it now, where's the antenna of the GPS module in the WG-2? And if the best place to put it is on top of the camera, why did Sony put the GPS module into the left-hand grip of the A77v? And speaking of antennas (again, not an expert here), couldn't Pentax just put the GPS module itself on the grip, run a connector through the body and the antenna itself is somewhere near the top?

08-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Exactly, and the fact that Pentaxes share is shrinking whilst the market itself is expanding tells me that they're having trouble keeping up the pace. They should brush up their act quickly.

When you write "fact..." do your have any source of this shrinking market share?
I have seen ratings from Japan only in past years, not worldwide, but nothing at all this year.
08-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #144
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Thinking about it now, where's the antenna of the GPS module in the WG-2?
Just above the flash.

QuoteQuote:
And if the best place to put it is on top of the camera, why did Sony put the GPS module into the left-hand grip of the A77v?
I don't know. In every other camera I've seen with GPS technology, it's built into the top of the camera.

QuoteQuote:
And speaking of antennas (again, not an expert here), couldn't Pentax just put the GPS module itself on the grip, run a connector through the body and the antenna itself is somewhere near the top?
Why wouldn't you just put the gps in the body? Why put it in the grip? You can turn the GPS circuit off in phones to save power. Put the GPS unit in the body of the camera, and provide a menu option to disable it for those who want to save power and don't want the gps data in their EXIF information. I'm sorry, I just don't see any reason to put the GPS technology anywhere other than in the body unless you want to retain the current hotshoe arrangement.
08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #145
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I know that they are not new models, but when was the last time that so many models were replaced all at once? For that we'd need to go back to the 70's when the M-series was introduced. I think that has never happened again after that decade.
PENTAX USA Officially Drops Prices on 645D, Q, K-01...Why not to replace now?
08-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax are concentrating on DSLR primarily and here thay are not experiencing a decline.. FF is marginal.
While I agree that APS-C DSLRs should be the main focus of Pentax's endeavors and that the mania for FF is not entirely rational, I wouldn't say that FF is marginal. They are important prestige products and at some point in the next few years Pentax is probably going to have to release one. Even though FF constitutes a different sensor size, it's not a completely different format than APS-C DSLRs, for the simple fact that it uses the same mount. And while it doesn't make much sense to use APS-C SLR lens on a FF SLR body, all other lenses, accessories, technology can be shared between the two formats. So it actually doesn't involve that much diversification. Moreover, since most Pentaxians who want FF already have FF glass, Pentax would not have to introduce a whole new line of FF lenses, at least not at first. They can proceed as they did with the 645D: just a body and a lens or two. Don't worry about competing, spec or price wise, with Nikon or Canon, at least not at first. Sell the camera on the basis of elegance, ergonomics, style and design. Make a camera that will bring prestige to the brand, in the way that the Fuji X-Pro has brought prestige to Fuji, or the Olympus OM-D has brought prestige to Olympus.
08-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Sell the camera on the basis of elegance, ergonomics, style and design. Make a camera that will bring prestige to the brand
I think they tried that with the Q and K-01 already... and even if they're marketing it towards the right people (e.g. former P&S users, style-savvy shutterbugs), the cameras didn't sell like pancakes unlike the K-x (which only had "colored body options" as the component that took the arm for the style and design)

Ergonomics + max compatibility + robust build + no-nonsense design = a camera most Pentax FF dreamers will love (numbers decline as imperfections go up though)
09-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #148

I hope that successor will have also manual buildin flash power adjustment same as Nikons...

Also flash exposure correction in K5 is max +-2EV this is too little for me, make it +-5EV then maybe it will be enough...
09-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP looks to be legit now. I wonder what the improvements will mean for ISO performance and DR.